Menu

What's with the ads?

Sign in to follow this  
parent

Old/New version of IEW DVDs compatibilty

Can I use the original DVDs with the current edition books (for teaching DVDs and SWI)?  Has video content changed or is it just repackaged? 

Edited by parent

The SWIs and SICCs are unchanged.

The TWSS has been totally redone. The essential content is still there but there is additional material and all the footage is new. 

• Like 1

I have old edition DVD’s of Teaching Writing with Structure and Style, and a new binder. I find it requires more flipping through pages to find what section we’re on, but it’s doable. Some section names have been changed or rearranged. A lot of the examples have been changed.

I do have to admit I haven’t watched all of the DVDs yet. There could be more substantial changes to the last couple of sections. But so far it has been doable though not optimal.

Edited by emba56
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, emba56 said:

I have old edition DVD’s of Teaching Writing with Structure and Style, and a new binder. I find it requires more flipping through pages to find what section we’re on, but it’s doable. Some section names have been changed or rearranged. A lot of the examples have been changed.

I do have to admit I haven’t watched all of the DVDs yet. There could be more substantial changes to the last couple of sections. But so far it has been doable though not optimal.

Thanks, I think I'll go ahead and buy new.  Honestly, I've resisted the program largely because of the teacher training--14 hours!!  I've decided that I can watch it while I workout in mornings... I hope that I'm not supposed to be taking notes or practicing outline structure while watching the video! 😒  Anyway, I would get irritated very quickly if the DVD and books didn't align, and probably quit the program.

I x-posted on K-8 board and was told that there is free shipping first week of July, so that will have to be enough savings 🙂 

@parentYou don't have to watch the entire TWSS. If you have the IEW SWI, it will prompt you when to watch a section on TWSS. It's not that bad when it is spread out like that. I actually thought TWSS was pretty useful in understanding how the program works, why they teach certain skills and how you should approach your students. I know people said you can use SWI with TWSS, but I am not into teaching writing, so it works for me.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, calbear said:

@parentYou don't have to watch the entire TWSS. If you have the IEW SWI, it will prompt you when to watch a section on TWSS. It's not that bad when it is spread out like that. I actually thought TWSS was pretty useful in understanding how the program works, why they teach certain skills and how you should approach your students. I know people said you can use SWI with TWSS, but I am not into teaching writing, so it works for me.

Yes, I have never watched the whole thing at one time/week/month. I watched it as needed. 😃

When I received the new TWSS the only thing I watched was the sections I hadn't seen yet. So I actually haven't re-watched the instructions for the first six models.  

11 hours ago, parent said:

Thanks, I think I'll go ahead and buy new.  Honestly, I've resisted the program largely because of the teacher training--14 hours!!  I've decided that I can watch it while I workout in mornings... I hope that I'm not supposed to be taking notes or practicing outline structure while watching the video! 😒  Anyway, I would get irritated very quickly if the DVD and books didn't align, and probably quit the program.

I x-posted on K-8 board and was told that there is free shipping first week of July, so that will have to be enough savings 🙂 

If I had it to do over, I would definitely buy versions that matched. 🙂

I bought the binder part at a used curriculum sale and was assured by the seller that the videos were unnecessary. When I actually looked through it thoroughly, I could see that for me, that wouldn’t work. Then the new videos just didn’t fit into the budget, so I bought the used video that didn’t match.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, calbear said:

2 hours ago, cintinative said:

Yes, I have never watched the whole thing at one time/week/month. I watched it as needed. 😃

When I received the new TWSS the only thing I watched was the sections I hadn't seen yet. So I actually haven't re-watched the instructions for the first six models.  

I feel like I am having issues with planning.  We just finished all math and son's lang arts, but my daughter's lang arts has at least 5 more weeks, and we have 6 more chapters of SOTW.  Even though I am going to year round school, I wasn't planning my year that way and expected to have more finished by now.  My next post is going to ask questions about scheduling.

So, with all those issues, I want to just watch the TWSS all at once right away when I have the time.  Maybe when they ask for specific sections, I can rewatch as needed, but making space for videos during the school year sounds extremely tricky and unlikely. 

There is a schedule laid out in the SWI manual that schedules it over 30 weeks 5 days a week. You can compact it some if your kids master things quickly and don't need review and reinforcement. You can also compact it into 15 weeks by doubling up on assignments. I find it pretty open and go. Watching the video hasn't been an issue as that has been one teacher video session about every 3-4 weeks on the schedule for SWI-A. 

• Like 1