Menu

Anyone combined private school transcripts with afterschooled or homeschooled subjects?

Ds *might* return to private school next year for various reasons. Unfortunately, the school does not offer the foreign language he has been taking while homeschooling this year and I'd prefer not to lose his progress if possible. Has anyone successfully continued additional classes through homeschooling or afterschooling that they were able to add onto a college application for admissions purposes? The high school would be willing to waive the foreign language requirement for graduation since they do not offer the language, but I'd be responsible for proving that proficiency was achieved outside of school for college admissions. He could potentially take the SAT II also, but I'm trying to figure out how I would document or otherwise indicate that he had taken German 1-4 (or wherever he ends up) through a private online provider. Does the transcript even matter if he tests well on a subject test or is it important that his record reflect the classes taken too? I realize this may be college specific, but I'm trying to get a general idea so we can decide if he should continue in this language or start over with a different foreign language next year.

Not in that situation, no, but DS took 2 classes at a local private and I included them in my homeschool transcript. Not the same as he is not enrolled there or anywhere. 

Would the school give him credit and include in their transcript the classes? I’m thinking how some high schools (maybe?) give credit for CTY type classes that they don’t offer? If you can get outside validation, either via a subject test or a college class, I would do that. In the latter case, you’d be required to submit that transcript anyway. 

I was able to add it from his 8th grade homeschool transcript to his public school transcript (transitioned in 9th grade). I just put all the high school level courses and added a short description in the course description section. They have him foreign language credit (even though they didn't have at his Current school) however for those courses he didn't get a grade moved over onto his transcript. However in 10th grade he took a CTY foreign language and this was given an official grade on his transcript and will do again next year (so all 3 years of his foreign langue are documented). however you could always send colleges his homeschool transcript in addition to his official school transcript.

• Like 1

Our public high school is pretty lenient, and they allowed us to add homeschool courses to our kids' transcripts from there.  Our kids generally did a mix of both public school and homeschool classes each year (in high school).  They were even given study hall space to do homeschool courses there if they wanted to;  or they could just come home.  🙂  The school handled the transcript by noting next to the homeschool course listing that that particular course had been transferred in, similar to what they'd do if a student had moved to town from another high school.  So, they just trusted me that the course and my grades were accurate, while at the same time not taking responsibility for them.  The homeschool courses did count toward the school's graduation requirements.  Worked fine with us.

Edited by J-rap
  • Like 1

I will be in a similar situation. My daughter attends a public high school, and she will be taking an online foreign language course this summer to meet college admissions requirements. Her school will not give her credit because this outside course is not district approved. We don’t have a foreign language graduation requirement, so that’s not a problem. What matters to me, in California, is that it is UC approved. The plan is to self report the course in the college application, and then, when admitted, send the transcript to whatever university. I know several people at my daughter’s school who have done it this way, so I hope it will be smooth sailing for us too.If my daughter decides to continue with the foreign language, she could do the SAT Subject test, take another online AP Spanish course and take the exam, or take a Community College course for credit.

• Like 1

I have added to the private hybrid school.  They require particular documentation and provide required forms for me to fill out. An online provider can make the process easier if they  provide any documents in addition to what I have.  They also note on the transcript that the class wasn't taken with them.

edited:  I added Latin 1 and 2 which ds took at Memoria Press Online.  I saved copies of tests and they also provide a report card which I was able to turn in.  I had no issues.

Edited by Mbelle
  • Like 1

I wrote the main transcript for all 4 years that included homeschooled classes and standard school classes. We sent the school transcript separately, and he applied with a homeschool application.  But in contrast to your situation, his standard school classes were through an online school (but in NZ there is NO difference because all exams for all schools are the same, online school included), and he did the online school only for half time for 3 years.  So not quite the same as you are talking about, but similar. 

Ruth in NZ

• Like 1

Our online private school is like J-rap's public school. They'll list outside classes on their transcript. So, I'll add Homeschool Spanish Academy and AOPS classes to that transcript. I'm not sure if we'll add all the CC classes or send a separate transcript.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, chiguirre said:

Our online private school is like J-rap's public school. They'll list outside classes on their transcript. So, I'll add Homeschool Spanish Academy and AOPS classes to that transcript. I'm not sure if we'll add all the CC classes or send a separate transcript.

You can add the CC classes to the main transcript but they will also require a transcript from the CC. 

I put all of my dds' DE courses on their main transcript even though I knew we'd have a separate transcript from the university, because I wanted them to see course progression at a glance. If they have a lot of courses in a certain subject or area, having everything on one transcript can highlight that as well.

• Like 1