Menu

What's with the ads?

If a grad has had cancer in the past, must he check the 'cancer' box on the disability disclosure part of a job application? 

I know from insurance that ten years after diagnosis, if there is no further treatment ongoing, the insurance will not automatically deny a life insurance policy.

So, am wondering if there is a time limit for checking yes?

I would not check yes unless it was something that caused me a current disability.  IMO these answers are used to discriminate against applicants.  They should only be allowed to ask about current conditions that cause a disability.  

In the USA:

https://www.eeoc.gov/laws/practices/inquiries_medical.cfm

Edited by laundrycrisis
  • Like 1

You are not required to disclose a disability. You can if you want, but do not have to. Also, having cancer in the past does not neccesarily qualify as a disability.

• Like 2

I've never seen a question like that on a job application.  It seems like it should be illegal unless it's worded to be about whether you would need accommodations under the law.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Where's Toto? said:

I've never seen a question like that on a job application.  It seems like it should be illegal unless it's worded to be about whether you would need accommodations under the law.

As someone going through job applications right now -- that is a question everyone asks.

The ones I see ask "disability yes/no" but don't require you to specify which disability. (So  you wouldn't have to check "cancer" versus "blind" versus "ADHD" or whatever.)

Read the way the each question is worded carefully. Are they trying to get the tax break for hiring someone with a disability, are they trying to accommodate the disabled during the job interview process, are they trying to box you into not being able to ask for accommodations after you are hired, etc.

• Like 1