Menu

any experience w/ AP Art History (in general, or at PAH?)

My then 10th grader did it a couple of years ago (on our own). It was a really fun year; it's one of the more straightforward APs to prep for, as it's mostly about knowing the material rather than any specific kind of analysis....but there's a LOT of material to cover. DS got a 4, and blames not getting a 5 on how we ran short on time and rushed through African art at the end 🙂 . Khan Academy has a lot of great material, and there are a few other websites out there that we used a lot, too. I'm thinking of doing it again next year with my next kid.

2 hours ago, kokotg said:

My then 10th grader did it a couple of years ago (on our own). It was a really fun year; it's one of the more straightforward APs to prep for, as it's mostly about knowing the material rather than any specific kind of analysis....but there's a LOT of material to cover. DS got a 4, and blames not getting a 5 on how we ran short on time and rushed through African art at the end 🙂 . Khan Academy has a lot of great material, and there are a few other websites out there that we used a lot, too. I'm thinking of doing it again next year with my next kid.

Would you say this is an all-school year course? I know anything can be stretched to the nine months, but I was wondering if I can “weigh” this class somehow. 

58 minutes ago, madteaparty said:

Would you say this is an all-school year course? I know anything can be stretched to the nine months, but I was wondering if I can “weigh” this class somehow. 

Yeah, definitely. I'm pretty sure it's generally a full year course in public schools, and I also think it would be really difficult to cover all the material in less time.

• Thanks 1

"one of the more straightforward APs to prep for"

totally OK w/ that.  She'll have CalcBC as well next year and feels strongly she must get a 5 so it'll be stressful.

She's interested in the art and the art history. 

I was interested in the following description on the APH site...

"This time commitment includes reading, writing"...."several independent research projects that explore non-western traditions are required as well. Students are responsible for up to 40 pages of reading and several writing assignments weekly."

I'm looking for a regular (e.g. weekly) requirement of writing that requires some analysis (doesn't have to be super deep), that is graded by someone who is not me, and I don't care what the topic is. Ideally it's something she's interested in.

Anyone have experience with this teacher (Amber Kane)?

• 2 weeks later...

just to follow up - I wrote the instructor @ PAH.  I was pretty pleased w/ the reply.  She noted that 'this is not an english class' but that she requires the students to do regular writing (weeklyish) in the style of AP FRQs and she provides feedback about the quality of the analysis, clarity of what they wrote, and did they actually answer the question - which I'm totally on board with.

we'll probably give it a go.

My dd signed up for Amber Kane's Studio Art AP class, but had to withdraw at the very beginning of the year due to - reasons. lol But, our interactions with Ms. Kane were stellar. Her replies were always thoughtful and informative. We were in the class long enough for dd to read through the syllabus and lessons that were laid out at that point - and the class was VERY well organized and looked like a fascinating class. DD is still bummed that she didn't get to complete it.

My other two kids aren't artistic in that way, so we never came back to her, but I'd recommend her classes based upon those early interactions.

AP Art History is definitely a full year course. Khan Academy is one of the best prep sites for it. However, if you are looking for college credit you need to know two things, first, not all colleges will award credit for this course and second, if they do, you usually have to get a five, though a few will give credit for a 4 while a 3 won't usually grant any credit. We submitted our own syllabus to AP for this course rather than use an outside provider.

• 2 weeks later...