Menu

What's with the ads?

angelaguptathomas

How often do you use your Ice Cream maker?

I am tempted to purchase a $42 Cuisinart 1.5 qt. ice cream maker.  I would like to make coconut cream ice cream and not pay the ridiculous prices in the store.

Is it worth it? Thanks!

My dh can whip up homemade (cow milk) ice cream in 30-45 minutes for all of us, with none left over to argue about the next day. I love it! 

How many containers of coconut-milk ice cream would $42 buy?

Here that would cover about 8 pints, so a gallon.  It's a lot pricier than dairy!  

OP, just FYI, the thicker your coconut milk, the creamier the frozen dessert.  When I used to do this, I used canned coconut cream from the international foods aisle.

• Like 1

I Don’t have ice cream maker, but am all ears!

it occurs to me this could be a way to make non sugar homemade more healthy ice cream

After 15 years and only using it maybe 4 or 5 times we have it away.

ETA Ours was an wooden bucket style with electric churn.  Perhaps if I had a cuisenart i would have used it more.

Edited by Targhee

3 minutes ago, Pen said:

I Don’t have ice cream maker, but am all ears!

it occurs to me this could be a way to make non sugar homemade more healthy ice cream

Recipes abound online for healthier homemade ice cream.

I am non dairy and and using healthier sweeteners so I am just about ready to splurge.

We have hit 90 degrees in Western North Carolina in May-virtually unheard of and some yummy healthy ice cream that doesn't cost a fortune would be sweet!

• Like 1

Well... :blush: My dh had one of those with the frozen inserts when we first got married. It worked but was a pain in the butt because you had to hand-crank. Then I bought him a used commercial countertop ice cream freezer, which was fabulous. Now we have another commercial countertop unit.

So if you have to freeze an insert, buy a 2nd insert to always have one ready. If you like to make ice cream more often (nightly), then I would get the countertop unit and be done with it. I haven't used that Cuisinart unit with the insert, but Ina Garten likes it. I'm sure it's fine. The units with a freezer in them are really nice, making really creamy ice cream because of the whipping motion. But you're talking maybe $250 there. I haven't priced them in a while. 

I think if you want it, get it. Like you say, the coconut ice cream is crazy $$. Is this for more than 1 person? My dh has $$ taste in ice cream, so that's why we bought the unit. He was eating HagenDaz and really $$ every night and it was just too much. Buying the countertop unit was much cheaper.

20 minutes ago, Targhee said:

After 15 years and only using it maybe 4 or 5 times we have it away.

ETA Ours was an wooden bucket style with electric churn.  Perhaps if I had a cuisenart i would have used it more.

Well, I have a cuisinart, the kind you freeze the tub. In 15 years, i've used it 3-4 times.

We've never owned an ice cream maker. I've had lots of homemade ice cream in my life, but never any that I thought was as good as premium quality store bought. So having our own ice cream maker has never seemed worth the space it would take up. But take that FWIW -- I'm not a huge ice cream fan. Although I did just have a few spoonfuls of Tillamook. That stuff could convert me . . . :laugh:

Edited by Pawz4me
  • Haha 1

I don't have a lot of room in my freezer to chill the insert so I hardly ever use the one I own. I suspect I would use one more if it didn't require chilling in my freezer.

• Like 1

DH loves ice cream, so he got an ice cream maker for Christmas a couple of years ago. We use it weekly in the summer and about once a month in other seasons. 

Favorites: Vanilla, Cheesecake, and Mango Sorbet. 

1 hour ago, Crimson Wife said:

I don't have a lot of room in my freezer to chill the insert so I hardly ever use the one I own. I suspect I would use one more if it didn't require chilling in my freezer.

We got one as a wedding gift years ago and hardly ever used it for this reason, but since I finally got a chest freezer a few years ago we have room for it in the main fridge freezer now, and I use it all. the. time.  I have the Ben and Jerry's cookbook from back in the day, and whoa Nellie is that full of great recipes.  (Their hot fudge sauce is also to die for.  Just saying.)  I've started to branch out and invent my own recipes as riffs on theirs.  Now our guests always ask hopefully whether I have made ice cream lately.  I make it and eat a little, and then let it freeze overnight in the bowl, and then decant it into wide mouthed quart sized canning jars.  Right now, I have the following homemades in stock:  Apple Cider Walnut, Kahlua Cinnamon, and Coconut Run.  Just finished was the chocolatest chocolate I have ever had.  Totally hooked now.

Edited by Carol in Cal.
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

We got ours as a wedding gift. Some years we use it more, some less. It's definitely easier with the chest freezer. I have a kid begging me for homemade strawberry ice cream right now.

IIRC the type of cream you use makes a difference. I think ultra-pasteurized can leave a film in your mouth, and regular pasteurized doesn't, but it's harder to find. My strawberry ice cream recipe actually uses sour cream, so it's not an issue and I don't need to research it yet. :) But I guess that doesn't matter if you want to make coconut ice cream - I'm just saying to be aware of your ingredients and how they can affect the taste and texture of the final product. Sometimes you have to play around with it, research, or hunt does the exact right thing.

The coconut ice cream I make has cream, milk, eggs, sugar, and Coco Lopez in it.  And a little rum.  It is to die for.  And the recipe uses exactly one can of Coco Lopez, so it's utterly efficient, too.

Coming back to say that we have a small chest freezer that our insert lives in. Maybe a chest freezer should be considered a hidden cost of the plug-in ice cream machine?

My library has a bunch of ice cream recipe books. I like the general Jeny's recipe, but prefer the flavor combinations from a different book that I can picture in my mind, but can't quite make out the title! Almost all have at least one token non-dairy recipe.

About once a week we do pizza, ice cream and a movie. Buy this instead though.

25 minutes ago, Carol in Cal. said:

The coconut ice cream I make has cream, milk, eggs, sugar, and Coco Lopez in it.  And a little rum.  It is to die for.  And the recipe uses exactly one can of Coco Lopez, so it's utterly efficient, too.

Hello? There are rules about posting about recipes but not posting the actual recipe. Now, if you please...

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Slache said:

About once a week we do pizza, ice cream and a movie. Buy this instead though.

Hello? There are rules about posting about recipes but not posting the actual recipe. Now, if you please...

Dang.  Not with me.  OK, pending.  

But for those following along who are fortunate enough to have that old BJ cookbook, it's the recipe in it with the rum variant.  I did not have the preferred dark rum so used light.  I was not sorry at all, based on the scrumptiousness of the result.

• Thanks 1

I had a lavender ice cream parfait in France a few years ago and since then I annually use my ice cream maker to try and recreate with my home grown lavender. It’s never even close, I just have to move to France 😉

I did make a honey lavender ice cream once that my guests found edible but it was not it. I think one needs Mediterranean lavender for this, none of my sad little Zone 5 stuff😂

Before we had kids with dairy allergies I used to make homemade greek yogurt, and I would add some dutch cocoa and spenda and make actually delicious and good for you frozen yogurt ALL THE TIME.  Everyone thought it was better than anything you could get in a store.  It was the kind with the bowls that go in the freezer and then when you want to make ice cream you pour the ingredients into the frozen bowl and then attach the lid with the churning paddle to the top.  Eventually the bowls broke and I never bought another because I'm generally too busy to figure out how to make anything dairy free and as healthy.

It was something like this, but it was a normal brand.  Maybe kitchenaid or something: https://www.amazon.com/DASH-DIC001AQ-Ingredient-Double-Walled-Insulated/dp/B07BTR48KV/ref=sr_1_16_sspa?keywords=single+dash+ice+cream+maker&link_code=qs&qid=1558489683&s=gateway&sourceid=Mozilla-search&sr=8-16-spons&psc=1

• Like 1

How big are the parts that go in freezer?  

44 minutes ago, Pen said:

Mine is about a foot across and maybe 7 inches tall.  That’s the trouble.

And it’s not a Kitchen Aide.  I can’t remember the brand right now, not Cuisineart either.

I considered getting the ice cream maker attachment for my Kitchen Aide mixer, but the sales associate said that it only freezes to the soft serve level and I am too spoiled for that.  (Thought it would cut down on freezer space, which it would, but by not working all that well.)

• Like 1

Once or twice per year in a good year.  We have the cuisinart soft serve maker.  We’d get rid of it, the thing is huge but my sons love it and it was a gift to them from my MIL.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Pen said:

We were looking at the smallest Cuisinart model at Macy’s and at Bed Bath & Beyond. The spare/replacement freezer bowl (https://www.amazon.com/Cuisinart-ICE-RFB-2-Quart-Additional-Freezer/dp/B00004S9D3) is this size 7.5 x 7.5 x 5.6 inches. Our freezer compartment is small and my kids prefer shaved ice for summer over making their own ice-cream. So we’ll probably get a small shaved ice machine.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Carol in Cal. said:

I make it and eat a little, and then let it freeze overnight in the bowl, and then decant it into wide mouthed quart sized canning jars. 

Ok, we need to talk about this. That's actually one trouble we have with making our own. Dh will leave it in the machine bowl. I haven't been sure what to put it into. So how firm is your ice cream after you harden it that first night? I think my guys would break canning jars, but the idea is right. Wide-mouthed pints could work. Or maybe a bunch of yogurt containers with lids? 

10 minutes ago, PeterPan said:

Ok, we need to talk about this. That's actually one trouble we have with making our own. Dh will leave it in the machine bowl. I haven't been sure what to put it into. So how firm is your ice cream after you harden it that first night? I think my guys would break canning jars, but the idea is right. Wide-mouthed pints could work. Or maybe a bunch of yogurt containers with lids? 

I just use a wide Tupperware.  Plastic is easier to scoop from than glass because of the flex, I think, and more forgiving for thermal shock.

• Thanks 1

Placed my order and ready to start experimenting😋

Hopefully, I can substitute coconut cream and healthier sweeteners  and come us with a fabulous and satisfying ice cream😊

• Like 5

We use ours often. We just got it this Christmas and the entire family loves making their own creations. We do dairy free and sugar free so it has saved a ton!  Although I’ve fallen in love with avocado ice cream and haven’t figured that one out yet!  And that one is $$$$ to buy!

1 hour ago, PeterPan said:

I have an old tupperware canister set that I use. One container holds 1 batch of ice cream perfectly.

Similar to this: https://www.ebay.com/itm/VTG-NEW-Brown-Coffee-And-Tea-Canister-SET-With-Tupperware-Round-Seal-Lids/283487380959?hash=item42012a25df:g:bNAAAOSw0rVc3iPC

• Thanks 1

I have the cuisinart and I like it and use it fairly often.  Haven't in awhile but have been thinking about it.  Maybe for Memorial Day I will!

I have an extra freezer bowl.  

I made awesome coconut ice cream.  I used a can of "Cream of coconut " which is on the drink mixes aisle, and I think I just added a pint of whipping cream and maybe milk.  No eggs, sugar or cooking needed on this one and it was super creamy.  I added chocolate shavings and chopped almonds.  It was perfect, but it is super high fat.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PeterPan said:

I think my guys would break canning jars, but the idea is right. Wide-mouthed pints could work. Or maybe a bunch of yogurt containers with lids? 

I use Rubbermaid freezer safe containers when we buy a bigger tub of ice-cream since I use those Rubbermaid containers for freezing fruits sometimes. I use mainly the 5 cup size but they have bigger capacities ones. I am the one that breaks glassware. I also reuse the containers from store bought gelato ice-cream as those are in plastic oval containers.

https://www.amazon.com/Rubbermaid-Square-5-Cup-Storage-Container/dp/B006OBGZI0

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, PeterPan said:

It’s firm like regular ice cream from the store overnight.

Maybe we would be better off using Tupperware, but I like canning jars because I can see through them so I don’t forget what I have.  Canning jars are also more impervious to thermal shock than other glass ware.  

One thing that is really helpful is that I have a Pampered Chef ice cream scoop. It has a pointier end than most scoops and that makes digging the ice cream out of corners of the machine bowl much easier.

Edited by Carol in Cal.
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, angelaguptathomas said:

Placed my order and ready to start experimenting😋

Hopefully, I can substitute coconut cream and healthier sweeteners  and come us with a fabulous and satisfying ice cream😊

Please let us know how it goes.  I put it in my “saved for later” area and await your review!

• Like 1

I bought a normally $45 ice cream maker at the end of last summer on clearance for $20. I'm thinking about getting an ice maker so we can use it more often without the fuss of buying bags of ice or freezing all those ice cube trays. But we are looking into getting dairy goats in the not too distant future as well so that influences a lot of our dairy related decisions lately....

Before we got the ice cream maker, I made Chocolate Covered Katie's Chocolate Peanut Butter Nice Cream on a pretty regular basis. We are not vegan, just looking for healthier alternatives for favorite things. It even passed the dh taste test! You know it's good when your "I don't eat rabbit food" dh requests you to make a vegan recipe again, lol! I don't have a fancy blender either. I started off with a thrift store blender and when I was using it 3 - 4 times a week (not just for the nice cream but it was a contributing factor) I decided to "upgrade" to a $50 Oster blender from Walmart. It works for what we do, including nice cream which I do still make when bananas are on sale. :-)

We do have a favorite ice cream recipe for the ice cream maker though. It's just the non-custard base recipe from the manual that I have tweaked for our tastes. The custard base recipe is really good too, it's just a lot more work and we like this one just as well and it's less work. Less work = I'm willing to do it more often lol

Homemade Vanilla Ice Cream

4 cups of milk, divided 

1 3/4 cup sugar

1/2 tsp salt

4 cups (1 qt) half and half or whipping cream

3 tsp vanilla extract or vanilla bean paste (found in cake decorating section or craft store)

Put 1 cup of the milk in a glass bowl and microwave for 2 minutes or until very warm but not boiling (scalded). In a large bowl, add the warmed milk and sugar and stir. Repeat the microwave process with another cup of the milk and then add to the large bowl. Stir until sugar is dissolved. Add the remaining 2 cups of milk, salt, half and half or whipping cream and vanilla and stir until well combined. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes before pouring into prepared ice cream maker canister then follow the directions for the ice cream maker.

We prefer using whole milk and half and half. The original recipe calls for whole milk, half and half AND whipping cream but it was just too much for us, tasted good but too much fat and richness for us. 1% milk worked with half and half as well but it was leaning toward ice milk at that point. Vanilla bean paste makes the little specks of vanilla in the ice cream and a nice strong vanilla flavor. We just use an old ice cream bucket to ripen/store the ice cream. I prefer it fresh from the churn which is more of a soft serve consistency. Dh prefers it ripened.

Edited by sweet2ndchance
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Pen said:

Did you get it ? How’s it been?  @angelaguptathomas

Yes, it is very nice.

I am experimenting with coconut cream, coconut milk, cacoa, stevia or swerve, So far so good.

I hope to be branching out soon.

I bought Cuisinart Ice 1.5.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I use mine once or twice a year and it's getting time to do that now. I use heavy cream and half and half,. so it is very rich when added with the other rich ingredients.