Menu

What's with the ads?

tdbates78

Evan Moore 6-Trait Writing - thoughts?

I'm still trying to figure out what to do about writing next year for my twins, who will be in fourth grade. They are reluctant writers. We currently use WWE 2 but I want to switch next year. I'm considering IEW but also keep going back to EM Daily 6-Trait Writing. Would the EM be enough on it's own?

I remember looking at it when mine was younger (1st? 2nd?) and thinking it would NOT be a good fit for my reluctant writer.  It asked too much of him in the way of creativity and would have had him shut down.
What has worked for him was doing ELTL and modifying the copywork, and then this past year doing Treasured Conversations which was very incremental and perfect while waiting for his abilities to grow just a little more.  It was kind of like getting more skills with the same level of ELTL.

My oldest did Writing Tales at the same age.  WWE wasn't out yet, but Writing Tales brought in games and hands on work to the progym and it was just right for him, too.  If the youngest had been at a different point we would have done WT again, but he didn't need quite as much grammar work.

We did some of the sample lessons to fill in some downtime after finishing something else.  I like how explicit and systematic it is.  It also models things before the kids are asked to do it.  It is all the little pieces that need to be put together for bigger pieces, but they don't actually do the bigger pieces.  If you look at their homeschool packages, each grade uses daily six trait plus something else.  If they aren't creative, maybe you would want the something else to be the nonfiction writing book.  If they liked creativity, maybe the story writing book.

We used it for first grade and loved it. We tried using it for fifth grade and hated it. It felt like a repeat of grammar and not enough actual writing instruction. It was difficult to see a logical sequence to the progression too. DD is a reluctant writer as well due to having dyslexia. We used The Paragraph Book series this year for sixth grade. I think it is labeled for grades 5-8, but it is an intervention program. It might work for fourth too. If not, maybe you could try it for fifth.

http://eps.schoolspecialty.com/products/literacy/grammar-writing/the-paragraph-book/about-the-program
https://www.christianbook.com/the-paragraph-book-1/dianne-tucker-laplount/9780838826713/pd/372671?event=ESRCG

Edited by pitterpatter