Menu

I got served and it was nuts.

Carrie12345

We have drama with mentally unstable relatives who have made threats so, when a complete stranger showed up to my secluded home, I was nervous and annoyed.  But it wasn’t that. I got served papers listing me as a defendant on a matter involving my son’s father... who I haven’t been with in nearly 20 years! On a matter that’s only happened in the last year and a half. That I have had zero involvement with. And they listed my connection as being due to child support cases from 15 and 17 years ago.

Why am I sharing this?  1., I spent half my day yesterday freaking out.  2., Because the vague, outdated connection they made was going to cost me $175 to file a response and who knows how much for a lawyer to make sure it was done right. Through absolutely no fault of my own!!!

Fortunately, it was an issue that had technically been resolved just days before, but I guess the paperwork hadn’t caught up. And my ex’s lawyer is handling the dismissal stuff.  But bleepy bleeping bleep!!!  I’ve never had a stranger serve me papers before, and thinking I was going to have to lay out a bunch of money for something that had nothing to do with me was absolutely crazy!

Here’s to an uneventful Tuesday!

• Confused 8
  • Sad 9

We got used to process servers here when my exBIL was filing bs motion after bs motion against my brother.  It was pointless and the court ruled in my brother’s favor each and every time.  He also liked to have the papers come here even after we filed a form indicating my brother’s attorney could accept service.  It was a form of harassment. 

Their divorce is finally going to trial in AUGUST, two years after my brother left him. 

I’m glad your matter is apparently already resolved.  

• Sad 3

37 minutes ago, SusanC said:

Before I opened the thread I thought you were allergic to nuts and were served something with nuts. I'm feeling very naive, but I'm glad it sounds like it was resolved without extra hassle.

Oops!  I could see how it might sound like that!

• Like 1

I’m glad it all worked out!

My husband got served bright and early on our wedding day. There was a ton a family staying at his parents house when a sheriff’s deputy showed up and woke everyone up. It was for a car accident that my husband was involved in a couple years earlier.  He was pretty embarrassed and stressed at the time but it all worked out in the end. 

This is a problem with our justice system.  There should be some way to make the opposing lawyer pay if we have to incur costs to get out of something that never should have involved us in the first place.

We had a situation - there was a guy shot by a security guard in a location that had nothing whatsoever to do with us.  The family's lawyer joined us in a wrongful death lawsuit, because we had hired a different security company to work at some of our events ... the logic being that our hiring security contributed to the killing of individuals by security guards.  It was pretty easy to get off that lawsuit, but we should not have had to deal with it.  Plus, it is probably public record, and you know how people use random bits of info to attack others.  Like in the unlikely event I ever ran for office, that would be brought up, right?  It's just ridiculous that lawyers can do that to people with no repercussions on them.

• Like 1