Menu

Trunk Club, Stitch Fix, Something Else?

Joker

Anyone here tried subscription clothes boxes? Have any favorites or ones to stay away from? Any tips?

I have a Stitch Fix box coming next week and am waiting to preview a Trunk Club box. I recently lost 40 pounds and I have more to lose but I would like to treat myself to at least one new nice outfit that isn't falling off me. Dh and I have a trip coming up to celebrate our anniversary and I would like something new. I have never liked or been good at shopping for clothes so I thought a subscription box might be a good idea. I thought I could find some things now and then when I lose the next 20 pounds get a few more things (as a treat for sticking to it and losing). TIA!

I've been trying Gwynnie Bee and have been underwhelmed.  You pick from a large selection of clothing and have them in your "closet" but what actually arrives is picked by them from your closet.  For example, in the beginning, I was picking lots of stuff I liked and putting it in my closet.  When it arrived it was really not the appropriate season... like sundresses in 50* weather.  Stuff like that.     I can have 2 items at home at a time but the turn-around seems a bit slow.  Almost everything I've gotten has gone back within a day and you can let them know it's coming back so they can prepare your next box.  Even so, I still only seem to get clothes about once a week. 

Most of the clothes are very office appropriate so they don't really work that well for me.    I wanted to try it and see... but I'm not planning on renewing after my subscription runs out. 

I gave my oldest daughter LeTote for her birthday (last week).  She's got her first job out of school and I thought she'd need some updating of her wardrobe.  

• Like 1

I've tried them both and prefer Trunk Club because I can preview what they're sending so I can veto stuff right away. Of course they substitute things and I don't get a second chance to veto. I usually get at least two of the items. They're expensive though.

The past two times, I've gotten Amazon Prime Wardrobe. It's a little frustrating because they  don't offer all sizes or colors. They'll say this particular item is Prime eligible but when I click on my size, it isn't. But still, I've gotten some great things. I usually order two of the same things in different sizes and I find that extremely helpful. 

• Like 2

I have tried both and greatly prefer Trunk club. You get more things in a box to try and I really like to be able to preview the box before it comes.

I have definitely had good success- a pair of shoes, a dress, jeans (!) and several tops. Also, a cool bracelet that was designated by me as an anniversary present last year.

• Like 1

I’ve used Stitch Fix extensively, Trunk Club twice, and had one Amazon Prime Wardrobe box. My college son also got I think hree Stitch Fix boxes. 

I like different things about each. Stitch Fix has a nice discount if you buy the box; Trunk Club has no discount. Trunk Club clothes are far better quality than SF usually is, but also is very expensive. I like the way SF creates styling cards to show you how to wear the items. This really helped DS19 to understand the style of how to wear the pieces. Trunk Club doesn’t group the clothes in a very useful manner. Once I got a stylist with SF who understood my style (or else they dialed in the algorithm', whichever), I liked SF more. My last box was practically perfect. TC annoys me because the stylists badger me and I want to ask them just how often do they think I spend hundreds of dollars on clothing. 

Prime Wardrobe is more frustrating to use because there is no stylist and you have to be very careful you are actually choosing a PW item. You may think you are, but when you switch colors or sizes, it is no longer PW. I have a notion they do this on purpose to “trick” people into buying things they meant to put into the PW selections.  But the nice thing about PW is you have more control over the prices. From PW, I bought a black tunic top very similar to one that was offered in my TC at too high a price. 

• Like 1

I was able to preview my Trunk Club box today and I was pleasantly surprised. I said no to three things but she replaced them with things I think I will like. I was also surprised by how well my stylist stuck to my budget. I was very adamant that since I was still losing weight I wasn't going to spend a huge amount on pieces and most of the stuff in there was reasonable. I'm excited to get them both next week and see how it goes. Hopefully, I want to keep a few things and then I think I will just wait to do another until I hit my goal weight. I've dropped 40 pounds so far and will be happy and feel done if I can lose another 35. I've never been a Nordstrom shopper (just thought they were too expensive for me) but I've fallen down a rabbit hole the past two days and can't wait until I'm done losing weight to shop there more. Motivation! 

Edited by Joker
  • Like 5