Menu

what meal planning service do you use?

caedmyn

I’d like to try a meal planning service.  I tried one and liked the concept but my kids didn’t like the recipes.  I need one that has easy, mostly whole foods, kid-friendly meals and is not super grain and dairy heavy.  Some grains and dairy is ok, but every meal is too much.  

Six o'clock Scramble is the most expensive but the most customizable by recipe, as in each recipe might have gf or vegetarian instructions, a slow cooker option, etc.

I currently use emeals which is much cheaper and has a lot of different menu plans to choose from (and you can switch between them).

I had one once through the magazine Real Simple.  I think it came free with the magazine subscription, although possibly you could get it anytime?  I only used it occasionally,  but it seemed like the recipes were generally pretty simple and fresh.

I love The Dinner Daily. I set it to "low carb" so that it is Weight Watchers friendly for me and you can choose what meats/vegetarian you want. I think you can probably go dairy-free. You tell it where you shop and it gives you a weekly menu that incorporates sales from that store. It is only dinner, but that is all I need help with. 

Sometimes I shop by the list but don't use the actual recipes. Still, I end up with a fridge full of food that can actually make meals, though I might arrange them differently. Every recipe we've tried has been a winner. They are generally easy, and some recipes have had me cock and eyebrow. Those have generally been the favorites (one was a vegetarian quinoa salad that incorporated blueberries - everyone LOVED it!).

Emily

We have both Hello Fresh and Home Chef. We see which has the best choices for a particular week we need a box. I prefer Home Chef as they have more choices. Many meals from both services have potatoes of some kind, usually roasted. Some have roasted veggies. We've had Hello Fresh longer and we find repeat meals. We try to get something new each time. We save the recipe cards in a binder and cook the meals on our own on weeks we don't get a box.

Knowing we're unlikely to find something quite right in meal planning (much less delivery), I've subscribed to Plan to Eat. I import (and tweak to suit me) recipes of my choosing and drop them onto the calendar (for example, this stuffed tomato recipe was already vegetarian and grain-free, but I've removed the dairy). I tell it which days I'm shopping for, and it pulls up an exact shopping list with quantities.

We are strictly gluten-free and I'm pretty much dairy-free, and reducetarian (typically meat only once a week). PTE lets me keep track of recipes we like that meet our needs. I plan big blocks at a time (like two months) and then shuffle if needed.

There's a free 30-day trial if you want to see if it might work for you.

Edited by whitehawk