Menu

What's with the ads?

I am watching HGTV right now, I know, I know, I am a complete hypocrite.....but one thing struck me.  She said she updated the bathroom by adding WALLPAPER!   Is it coming back?  It was white with huge purple flowers on it.

I was surprised.  It feels like they are adding pantyhose back or something!

• Haha 2

It’s not crossing my threshold ever!!!  It might be coming back but I don’t know anyone putting it up. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

Sometimes I see it in my HGTV magazine and it looks soooo good.  But then I think, “And in 10 years it’ll look sooooo dated...and it’ll be soooo hard to take down.” 

I love the idea of it and I love some of the classy patterns that are out there, but I don’t want to deal with the hassle of it.  

Sherwin Williams has a line of HGTV wallpaper out:  https://www.sherwin-williams.com/homeowners/inspiration/hgtv-home-by-sherwin-williams/hgtv-wallpaper

Edited by Garga
  • Like 3

I was just reading the "hate" thread.  Maybe I hate wallpaper...

• Like 2
  • Haha 7

Today I noticed a mention of wallpaper in an ad about an updated room. I do think someone is trying to bring it back. I still have ancient wallpaper that I plan to remove some day and I don't plan on adding any new wallpaper.

Edited by mom2scouts
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Junie said:

I was just reading the "hate" thread.  Maybe I hate wallpaper...

I do. It's that or hate the people that put up multiple layers of wallpaper in this house, with then multiple layers paint over the top. Was a NIGHTMARE to get it off. I think I still have burns from the commercial steamer we eventually rented, out of desperation. We tried all the "tricks", we scored it, we tried sprays, we tried the steamer...it was just a total nightmare. Multiple nights up until 1am pulling that stuff down. That and landscaping rock are my home hates. (same people put many layers of landscape rock down, which later grass grew over, so now when I try to dig a hole to plant something it is mostly rock. ugh.)

• Like 1

Our first house we were able to get at a good price, most likely in part because of all.the.wallpaper.

Almost every room had wallpaper.  All of it was ugly.  Pink flowers/horizontal stripes in various forms throughout the house.

The wallpaper in the room that became our master bedroom was a bright blue with white swirls.  Dh was able to remove it (unlike some of the wallpaper in the house which we eventually paid a professional to remove).  One corner of the room was stubborn.  Dh then realized that it wasn't wallpaper.  Whoever put up the wallpaper needed about a foot more to finish the room, so they painted the last corner to match!!  

And underneath all of the wallpaper someone had written over and over -- in pen, in marker -- I Love Hot Rod.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

I think Joanna Gaines has a line of wallpaper.  Maybe she's the one who's trying to bring it back.

Sigh.

• Like 1

It's for sure coming back but I don't feel that brave. I live in a pretty chi chi area and have a friend who hangs wallpaper for a living. 

• Like 1

I just bought 200 ft of wallpaper for a living room, kitchen, and computer room.  I am seriously in love with Spoonflower.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Ktgrok said:

I do. It's that or hate the people that put up multiple layers of wallpaper in this house, with then multiple layers paint over the top. Was a NIGHTMARE to get it off. I think I still have burns from the commercial steamer we eventually rented, out of desperation. We tried all the "tricks", we scored it, we tried sprays, we tried the steamer...it was just a total nightmare. Multiple nights up until 1am pulling that stuff down. That and landscaping rock are my home hates. (same people put many layers of landscape rock down, which later grass grew over, so now when I try to dig a hole to plant something it is mostly rock. ugh.)

Oh so you live in my house?  Ugh.  The multiple layers of wallpaper plus multiple layers of paint have taken us hours and hours per room, even with a steamer.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Arctic Mama said:

Oh so you live in my house?  Ugh.  The multiple layers of wallpaper plus multiple layers of paint have taken us hours and hours per room, even with a steamer.

My condolences. I can say that 10 years later I still have a visceral response to the IDEA of wallpaper. It didn't help that we were having our wedding reception at that house, so were on a deadline to get it off and repaint. hence the wee hours of the morning steaming/ripping/cursing. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Um...no. It screams "old" to me. No way. There are nice patterns you can achieve with different painting techniques.

• Like 1

Well it gives me hope that wallpaper might be coming back into style...  We're about to list our very old Victorian-style home which has wallpaper in every room except the kitchen and bathrooms!

• Like 1

Noooo!!!!
I’ve never even dealt with it myself, but I’m scarred from watching my parents remove wallpaper (that they had put up, themselves) when I was  4 years old.

• Like 1

We're another family that bought a house with wallpaper on top of wallpaper throughout the house. All the rooms are then further encumbered by borders on top of the wallpaper. Taking it down is far worse than we ever expected. It's not just getting it off, it's then repairing all the damage to the walls and prepping it for paint.

What a nightmare.

I was half-listening to a podcast the other day by Dean Sharp, a home improvement guy. He said that wallpaper is indeed making a comeback, but the new stuff is much easier to put up and take down. Good grief - I hope so!

• Like 1

I've been hearing rumors of a wallpaper comeback for several years now.  I hope it does come back.  I love the different wallpapers used in historic houses.   

And yes, I have removed wallpaper.  Layers and layers of wallpaper from walls and ceilings. I have removed wallpaper that was attached to unprimed plaster and drywall.  Some of it was horrible to remove.  I still love it.   I want to put wallpaper in my home's entryway but dh objects.  He hates wallpaper.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Riverland said:

I was half-listening to a podcast the other day by Dean Sharp, a home improvement guy. He said that wallpaper is indeed making a comeback, but the new stuff is much easier to put up and take down. Good grief - I hope so!

The new stuff is MUCH easier to install and remove. Our 1880 house had a ton and we removed all of it, but before putting it on the market last fall I put some wallpaper on in a room and it was so much easier to put on than the old stuff. And I can tell how easily it will remove- not like the old stuff that took forever. 

That’s a big part of why people hate wallpaper so perhaps it’ll make a comeback. But not for me-I’m still traumatized by the time it took me to remove the layers that were on our walls when we bought the place.

• Like 1

The closest thing dh and I had to a pre-nup was an emphatic, "No wallpaper!" on his part. Stems from a traumatic incident in his teen years involving heavy vinyl wallpaper, insufficient glue, and a two-story stairwell.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

After removing wallpaper (that had been painted over five times) in the middle of summer with a thing that looked like some sort of torture device from the 1940s...no.  No wallpaper ever.

Edited by EKS
  • Like 1

A lot of the wallpaper I'm seeing on the hgtv shows -- they often make the comment that it's easy to remove if they change their mind. 

• Like 1

Yes, wallpaper is very on trend right now.  Often it's more of a peel off type.

• Like 1

My mom used to wallpaper everything. It would start with just a border...then you blink and the whole house is covered. Perhaps my generation was scarred and we didn't warn our children enough, so their generation thinks it's cool. My son, however, has pulled enough wallpaper in his life. He once noted that it should be in the real estate contract that sellers must remove all wallpaper before closing. 

• Like 4

I wallpapered my bathroom just a couple of years ago. But I did that after I stripped wallpaper which had not been hung properly, so much swearing was involved. Before I hung the new wallpaper--which is beautimous, BTW--I applied a primer to the walls, so that if I ever want to remove it, it will peel right off.

I don't think wallpaper has ever been completely out.

• Like 2

I have had the same wallpaper on my bedroom for 30 years.  I love it.  Now this is my bedroom, not dh's.  His bedroom is painted.  I'm not planning on ever changing it.

IMG_4291.jpg

• Like 9

11 hours ago, Liz CA said:

Um...no. It screams "old" to me. No way. There are nice patterns you can achieve with different painting techniques.

See, now I feel like any sort of faux painting is very dated compared to wallpaper.

• Like 4

11 layers.

I removed 11 layers of wallpaper from the front foyer of my first house. Only 7 layers from the living and dining rooms.

Two bedrooms and the main hallway had several layers . . . and were painted over with high gloss paint. Those walls had to be removed in 1-2 inch squares with paint scrapers, after having being cut through with razor blades, with much help from steam, chemicals, and tons of hard work.

I can confidently predict I won't be adding wallpaper anywhere anytime soon. 

Never say never. . . I can imagine putting up kiddo themed paper somewhere someday . . . in my wildest imaginings. If I *DO* put it up anywhere, I promise to properly paint the walls before putting it up (for much easier removal!). 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, StephanieZ said:

11 layers.

I removed 11 layers of wallpaper from the front foyer of my first house. Only 7 layers from the living and dining rooms.

Two bedrooms and the main hallway had several layers . . . and were painted over with high gloss paint. Those walls had to be removed in 1-2 inch squares with paint scrapers, after having being cut through with razor blades, with much help from steam, chemicals, and tons of hard work.

I can confidently predict I won't be adding wallpaper anywhere anytime soon. 

Never say never. . . I can imagine putting up kiddo themed paper somewhere someday . . . in my wildest imaginings. If I *DO* put it up anywhere, I promise to properly paint the walls before putting it up (for much easier removal!). 

Wallpapering over existing wallpaper is evil. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Junie said:

I think Joanna Gaines has a line of wallpaper.  Maybe she's the one who's trying to bring it back.

Sigh.

Someone I know just did her kitchen in Joanna Gaines' wallpaper. The pattern is called Noteworthy and it is lines and lines of cursive script - in Latin, I believe. She really loves it, but I think it would drive me bonkers to look at it day after day.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, mom2scouts said:

I will accept wallpaper in historic houses. Other than that, wallpaper is a big "NO!"

Ah, but how historic does it need to be?

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Ellie said:

Indeed. 

In 1965, wallpaper was IT, unless it was panelling.  And the more texture on it, the better.  We bought a house that had wallpaper on one wall in every room:  

Son's room:  flocked velvet.
Son's / central bathroom:  metallic
Den: cherry panelling
Rec room:  walnut panelling
Guest room:  grass wallpaper
Guest room:  bamboo wall paper
Wet bar: cork wallpaper
Downstairs bathroom: burlap with glitter on it.
Family room: bleached wood panelling

And all of it was put directly on the drywall, not on painted drywall.  

We hired a guy to strip all the wallpaper and then paint.  He had to skim-coat every single wall afterward.  Ugh.  

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

It's making a comeback, and I considered it for my bedroom. DH wasn't on board with the pattern, and we're not sure if we'll outgrow this house or not. I wouldn't try to sell this particular house in this particular corner of the world with wallpaper in it. I've seen some really nice, classic designs that don't scream "SO 2019!", but taste is so personal, and so many people have horror stories about ripping it out. 

My childhood bedroom originally had stegosauruses with their necks entwined, with little hearts. Ugh. Then my parents put in a pattern with the three little piggies and the big bad wolf. Horrifying! I also remember a shell border in the bathroom, and some yellow pattern in the kitchen.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Ugh, I hate wallpaper.  We're still looking at houses, so that whenever our VA house sells, we can move into a bigger one here.  If there is any wallpaper (more than like one bathroom), then it's pretty much an automatic no for me.  We're in a 1970's tri-level now, with wallpaper in one bathroom and in the kitchen.  The wallpaper is fairly neutral, but still.  It's peeling in the bathroom, and I just greatly dislike it.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Patty Joanna said:

We hired a guy to strip 

🤭🤭🤭🤣🤣

Sorry, can you tell I work with middle schoolers all day?

Edited by DawnM
  • Haha 5

They now make paintable wallpaper with raised patterns, which is an option for people with plaster walls in bad shape.  I understand using it in those situations because it's much more subtle, it's only one color, and it can be easily changed.

I think this a trend in England.  When I quilt I have shows on in the background that involve redecorating/remodeling and selling real estate, and I'm surprised how many of them in England involve putting wallpaper on perfectly good walls.  I hate the stuff.  I'm helping my cousin with her MIL's home (Granny is in a care facility now) and there's wallpaper border removal in my near future.  It's typical granny paper: flower baskets and birdhouses.  I miss my grandmother.  She had ugly rose wallpaper borders in her ugly pink kitchen. 

Someday, when my in-laws are no longer in their current home, there will be wallpaper removal in the dining room.  MIL picked a subtle print which reads as a little more than texture with soft colors, so it's not an assault on the senses when everyone is crowded in there for a holiday meal.  It's in a retirement community, so the wallpaper and the dark teal paint in the living room will have to be neutralized because younger generations aren't as interested in living in adult only communities and I'm betting within the next 10-15 years there will be a glut of those houses in the market.  They'll probably have to change policies and open it to a wider age range.

19 hours ago, Ellie said:

What about wallpaper over wallpaper over UNPRIMED walls?  In our first home when we steamed and tried to remove the layers, the drywall came off in chunks because it was unprimed.  Lord have mercy.  We were so poor after the down payment, it wasn't an option to pay someone to rip out the drywall and put up new stuff.  

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I've had to remove wallpaper from a plaster wall and it was NOT fun. That said, it has made a comeback and some of it can be really beautiful. If I owned my house I would wallpaper the guest bathroom - you know, the tiny one with just a toilet and sink? Something like this -

elliecashmanfloralwallpaperdarkfloralpowderroombyrufflesandrockeventdesign.jpg

• Like 3

5 hours ago, solascriptura said:

What about wallpaper over wallpaper over UNPRIMED walls?  In our first home when we steamed and tried to remove the layers, the drywall came off in chunks because it was unprimed.  Lord have mercy.  We were so poor after the down payment, it wasn't an option to pay someone to rip out the drywall and put up new stuff.  

Same, plus two layers of paint on top. 

On 5/21/2019 at 10:29 AM, sassenach said:

See, now I feel like any sort of faux painting is very dated compared to wallpaper.

Maybe faux is out - who knows? I paint only when I absolutely have to (and it may look like faux unintended but I am a bad, impatient painter) like right now in a new house but I would never wallpaper. I hope the whole wallpaper mess does not come back into vogue. I have memories of wallpapering with my Grandmother - oy, oy. We had a bucket of wallpaper glue / paste? whatever it's called. My hamster climbed on something and fell into it. He was fine since we found him in time but we had to clean him off...:)

Edited by Liz CA

20 hours ago, Mothersweets said:

I've had to remove wallpaper from a plaster wall and it was NOT fun. That said, it has made a comeback and some of it can be really beautiful. If I owned my house I would wallpaper the guest bathroom - you know, the tiny one with just a toilet and sink? Something like this -

elliecashmanfloralwallpaperdarkfloralpowderroombyrufflesandrockeventdesign.jpg

One of the kids' bathrooms in a house we looked at had something like this (painted, no wallpaper)

image.png.eba04ca3cfda3706117be7f009b9d683.png 

I have artsy kids so I might do a mural, but I still wouldn't do wallpaper.

• Like 2

Down with wallpaper!!!

Although I do know that it is used again nowadays, I did not see any wallpaper in the many houses that we looked at when we were house hunting 1-2 years ago. So I think it is more of an accent here and there. I've seen it more on HGTV than in real life.

The houses I grew up in, in the 70s and 80s, were heavily papered. Most rooms had an accent wall of a complimentary design, and most also had a border. Mom liked to decorate, and her houses always looked nice for the time, but they would be considered hideous today, I think.

I still remember the wallpaper hanging guy who put up all of the paper in the house we moved into in 1980. He was a little old guy, and we were fascinated by him, because he would put a full cigar in his mouth at the beginning of the day, and by the end of the day, it would just be a stub. But he never lit it, and he didn't spit, as far as we could tell. I was sure he was eating them.

• Like 1

The new stuff is removable but sooo expensive.

I think putting up wallpaper (the old horrible kind) and tent camping with a toddler in the rain should be required for couples who are thinking of getting married. If you can survive those horrors, your marriage is strong!

• Haha 2

50 minutes ago, lmrich said:

I think putting up wallpaper (the old horrible kind) and tent camping with a toddler in the rain should be required for couples who are thinking of getting married. If you can survive those horrors, your marriage is strong!

That's brilliant!

About 15 years ago, we stripped our two bathrooms of wallpaper that had been installed in the late 80's when we built our house. We used a steamer. Dh did it and then I painted them both. What a job that was. The only remaining room left with wallpaper was the kitchen. Recently, I talked dh into just having it removed and painted by professional painters. I just wasn't in the mood to deal with it, and dh works long hours, anyway. It was expensive, but it looks great. Benjamin Moore Gray Owl with a white kitchen. 

The new wallpapers look so beautiful, but I will not be tempted. We're getting older and we'll be happy to have only low-maintenance painted walls!

Edited by Indigo Blue

I despise wallpaper. As a child of the 70s and 80s, I grew up with it on nearly every wall.

In the 90s, I hung it in my own house. Since I had helped my mother remove tons and tons of it over the years, I made sure to prime the walls well. It didn't work. When I took that paper down several years later, it peeled off in four layers: the design, the paper, the glue, and the top layer (and then some!) of wallboard with my primer. The walls were horrible with chunks coming off. It was the stuff of nightmares. I will never be convinced that the newfangled easy-to-remove paper will be any better years down the road when people are ready to peel it off.

I will not buy a house with wallpaper in it if it's in more than a small powder room. Sadly, several homes I've recently seen online have it in all the rooms (from the 90s and 2000s) and they are asking top dollar, so it's not like they are acknowledging it might be a turn off. I don't even know how much it would cost to pay to have it removed so I just close the tabs and move on to the next house. I'm not going to get started on negotiations over wallpaper removal. Ugh.

I can honestly say that reading this thread has brought up feelings I thought had been long buried!!

Wallpaper is one of the "three never again" items for me.

The other two are bell-bottom jeans and perms.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, lmrich said:

I remember my parents putting up wallpaper in my room when I was small.  No shock that they divorced shortly after that.