Menu

Child Wants To Do Online School

I currently have a 16 year old daughter that has missed over 40 days of school due to medical reasons. Because of this she has pushed for online school. Unfortunately I’m lost and concerned. We live in New York which has high homeschooling laws/regulations and I’m not sure how to fulfill them if my daughter decides to do online school. So I’m wondering if there are any other moms that have a online student in New York? I would personally love your help on how to write an IHIP for an online student or if things are done differently for children going to online school.

Sincerely,

A lost mother :)

• Like 1

In most states( I cant speak to NY but hopefully others can), public schools offer online schooling options (like k-12 or connections academy. These students are enrolled as public school students, and subject to the laws and regulations applicable to public school students. Despite studying outside a brick and mortar school, they are not legally homeschoolers. 

• Like 1

I'm also in a state where online schools are not legally considered homeschooling. Students in online schools are public school students and have to follow all the public school rules. You might want to check with the online schools you are considering.

• Like 1

There are private, regionally accredited distance schools.  They have nothing to do with public schools.  A student enrolled in one is not homeschooled- they are a student of a private school.  There are also regionally accredited distance high schools through some universities.  

Our son is a student at American School (the one in Lansing IL.).  

• Like 2

OP what grade is your DD in?     If she is currently in the Public School system, the first thing I suggest doing is to discuss the issue with a Counselor in her school and ask for suggestions, options, etc.   If she is in High School, it is complicated to switch from one school to another. Not impossible, but you will need to find out whether  or not the Units she already has will be accepted by another school. Good luck to her!   They may have a way for her to study at home and/or to  complete the courses she is behind in.

3 hours ago, IaniyaRivera123 said:

I currently have a 16 year old daughter that has missed over 40 days of school due to medical reasons. Because of this she has pushed for online school. Unfortunately I’m lost and concerned. We live in New York which has high homeschooling laws/regulations and I’m not sure how to fulfill them if my daughter decides to do online school. So I’m wondering if there are any other moms that have a online student in New York? I would personally love your help on how to write an IHIP for an online student or if things are done differently for children going to online school.

Sincerely,

A lost mother :)

You probably need to clarify what "online school" means to you. ABeka Academy has online school; Clonlara has online school; Laurel Springs has online school; K12 has online school (and no, I don't mean a public virtual academy like California Virtual Academy or Texas Virtual Academy; I mean you can buy K12 yourself and do it however you want).

If you enrolled your dd in a distance-learning school that has online classes, then it wouldn't be any different from any other private homeschooling situation. You would still submit  your IHIPS and all that stuff. It would just be someone else doing the actual teaching.