Menu

The Writers AND Teachers Lounge 5-20-2019

scrapbookbuzz

Happy Monday, all, and welcome to the Lounge!

Today's theme stems from the fact that as I contemplate my income options moving forward, I feel God has laid it on my heart to really pursue writing. If I'm being honest with myself, He's been lovingly pushing me this direction for awhile now. Up until now, I've more or less focused on writing books; none of which are finished yet, though, and thus, not bringing in any income. So the other day, I had a fun idea for a short story. Yesterday and this morning, I've been thinking about hashing it out and then polishing it this week with the end goal of submitting it a few places for publication. Should be an interesting process!

Any of you or your kiddos like to write? Here: obviously, I do. My dd does, as well. She has an amazing imagination! DS, not so much, although from about 5yo to 10yo he would come up with a new superhero at least once a week, if not more. Wish I'd written a few of those down!

Have you or your kiddos ever been published? Here: my daughter has, in an anthology. I have, only in a church devotional when I was a teen. I don't know that anyone else in my family has. Although, if you've ever read anything by Damon Runyon, supposedly he's a distant relative of mine.

Even if you haven't been published (not all are called to writing), what genres do you like to read? Here: I read almost everything with a few exceptions. I really like action/adventure (CJ Box and John Flanagan are amongs my favorites here). I'll also read mysteries (Alex Grecian is good here, but he can get dark) , good historical romance (and I usually only stick to authors Kris Tualla or Gilbert Morris for that), Nancy Drew (the classic books, not the new twaddle the try to pass off as Nancy Drew). And I'm currently reading Farenheit 451 for the first time (I know).

Talk to me! 

I wrote a short story once but the...tutor? I sent it too said it was too shocking and to tone it down. I didn't want to do any such thing so it sits there. My sisters really enjoyed it though! 🙂

I have a book I have been gestating for years in my head mostly but I don't have the discipline of actually birthing it.

DS is a very talented writer, I love reading his stuff when he lets me (not so much anymore these days).

I've written a few non-fiction items that have been published (e.g., program manuals, research papers), which always kind of shocks me as I always hated writing in school. I'm still not too keen on doing it for pleasure, and it took a very long time to get to this point. I'm still way more interested in doing physical things rather than sitting down and writing. 

All the best with your short story, Scrap!

For me I feel the opposite.  I’ve wanted to write but God has placed me in a position where I don’t have the spare time or energy available.  So most likely that’s not my vocation or not at this point.  This homeschooling thing is pretty all encompassing.