Menu

What's with the ads?

happysmileylady

Quick and easy substitutions?

I have a dentist appointment this evening, at 5, should take about an hour.  Which means dinner tonight is a crockpot meal.  I am using a version of this recipe for Meatball Stew, plus making some bread in the bread machine to go with it.  I actually already have the meatballs all made and they are sitting in the freezer.  Since I am using baby carrots, all I need to really do is chop up the potatoes and dump everything in the crockpot, then just turn it on low.

The problem is............I totally forgot to put the golden mushroom soup on my grocery list!  ACK!  I have homemade beef stock that I am using in place of the canned beef broth.  Is there anything that I can use to sub for the golden mushroom soup?  I have sliced fresh mushrooms, I still have beef soup bones and probably anything else I would need, but I don't know where to begin to make this sort of substitute.  Anyone have any ideas?

You can make a gravy of sorts. Melt 1/4 c butter in sauté pan. Add 1/4 c flour, stirrring constantly. Cook for 1 min. Add 2 c. of your beef stock, stirring constantly with a whisk. Cook until thickened. You could add your chopped mushrooms at this point., or just throw them into the crockpot along with the gravy

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, aaplank said:

You can make a gravy of sorts. Melt 1/4 c butter in sauté pan. Add 1/4 c flour, stirrring constantly. Cook for 1 min. Add 2 c. of your beef stock, stirring constantly with a whisk. Cook until thickened. You could add your chopped mushrooms at this point., or just throw them into the crockpot along with the gravy

I could do that.  Would I then use that instead of the broth and canned soup in the recipe?  

Hmmm, or maybe use the stock in the gravy, but water and bouillon cubes in the recipe...

golden mushroom soup doesn’t have dairy and it has tomato paste so I would make a brown sauce gravy with a little tomato paste whisked all the way in.  Don’t make a milk gravy.  

1 hour ago, happysmileylady said:

I could do that.  Would I then use that instead of the broth and canned soup in the recipe?  

Hmmm, or maybe use the stock in the gravy, but water and bouillon cubes in the recipe...

Use some of the stock in the gravy but then add more or less stock to the pot depending on how much more liquid you feel you need.  

10 hours ago, happysmileylady said:

The problem is............I totally forgot to put the golden mushroom soup on my grocery list!  ACK!  I have homemade beef stock that I am using in place of the canned beef broth.  Is there anything that I can use to sub for the golden mushroom soup?  I have sliced fresh mushrooms, I still have beef soup bones and probably anything else I would need, but I don't know where to begin to make this sort of substitute.  Anyone have any ideas?

make a basic white sauce - you can use the beef broth, then add the mushrooms and cook them.

• Like 1

So, here's what ended up happening...

First, when I went to grab flour out of the pantry I found that I had a single can of the golden mushroom soup...but not two.  I don't quite know why, I don't use this stuff for ANYTHING other than this recipe.  

So I had a single can.

SO what I ended up doing....I sauteed some onions in.....well, a lot of butter lol.  Then I added the fresh sliced mushrooms to get them going.  Then I added the flour.  Then, some water and bullion cubes. I put all the rest of the ingredients in the crockpot, including the can I had, then once the mushroom stuff in he skillet became saucy like a gravy, I poured it all over the top of everything else.  Turned the crockpot on low and let it go.

Probably should have put it on high, the carrots didn't get as cooked through as I like, and I for sure noticed the difference in flavor not having that other can of condensed soup.  BUT....I was the only one that noticed the difference, so that's a plus.  I will probably still use the soup in the future, but this was good enough.  

Edited by happysmileylady