Menu

What's with the ads?

Sign in to follow this  
chocolate-chip chooky

SAT registration question re Grade 7/8 test-takers

I'm in the process of setting up a College Board account for my 13yr old. She's planning on sitting her first general SAT exam this October.

The form says that if the student is in Gr 7 or 8, the test results disappear at the end of the testing year. If we don't want it to disappear, we must contact them before June of the testing year.

Hmmm. She won't sit the test until October. How can I know now if we'd like to keep the results or not? June is just around the corner, so I need to ponder this.

Is there any harm to having a record of a not-so-stellar score, if that's how the first one turns out?

As homeschoolers, we don't even really identify as being at a certain grade level, so I've put what she'd be in if she were in school here.

Any thoughts or experiences with regards to any of this?

Thanks 🙂 

25 minutes ago, chocolate-chip chooky said:

Hmmm. She won't sit the test until October. How can I know now if we'd like to keep the results or not? June is just around the corner, so I need to ponder this.

The testing year for the October 2019 test date runs from August 2019 to June 2020. Her results would be out long before June 2020 🙂

Colleges generally do not look at SAT scores before high school when it comes to college admissions.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Melissa in Australia said:

that is the tricky thing with things based in America where they run a funny school year and AUS where we go by the calendar year. 

You're so kind. I'm feeling quite the goose.

I have done thing in the past  like pay for an online course thinking it would be for the school year only to find out that I have just enrolled a child in something that will not line up with our school year at all and will be hard to fit in with summer holidays and camping trips. 😞 

My daughter is taking her first one in June but we're also in the US so that's before the end of her 8th grade year. I didn't see a reason to hold onto the scores once we got the report. This is mostly just a dry run/familiarization experience for her and she'll have many more years of study before college. Unless your student is on the cusp of leaving for postsecondary ed, I'd decline the 'keep' option.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Melissa in Australia said:

that is the tricky thing with things based in America where they run a funny school year and AUS where we go by the calendar year. 

My country of origin’s academic year runs Jan 2nd to mid November. DS14 would be in 10th grade in August 15th, 2019 but his same age cousin would be in 10th grade only in Jan 2nd, 2020. June holidays and Christmas break is the same.

I kept my kids’ 6th grade SAT scores and 7th grade SAT subject test scores. We just mail in a letter to CollegeBoard. Below is the template I made to use for my kids.

To 

The College Board SAT Program

Attention: Talent Search Scores

P.O. Box 025505

Miami, FL 33102

Dear Sir/Madam,

Re: Retention of scores for middle school candidates 

I would like the scores of the below named person to be retained for his permanent record. 

Student Name: 

Birth Date: 

Test Date: June 1, 2019

Test Type: SAT Subject Test Chemistry 

Test Center: (test center code) (test center name)

Regards,

• Like 2

Well, she's all registered for her first SAT. October 5th.

I hope we did the registration correctly. I forgot (again) that October in the USA would be part of the next grade. So when I listed her as 8th and then the review said 9th grade when testing in October, we were all 🤔. So, I changed it to 8th grade in October, because that's what it actually is here for her. I hope that's correct. I couldn't see anywhere that defined grade level for those outside the US. So, I opted with the reality for us here. Fingers crossed that's all okay 😬

• Like 1

16 hours ago, chocolate-chip chooky said:

Well, she's all registered for her first SAT. October 5th.

I hope we did the registration correctly. I forgot (again) that October in the USA would be part of the next grade. So when I listed her as 8th and then the review said 9th grade when testing in October, we were all 🤔. So, I changed it to 8th grade in October, because that's what it actually is here for her. I hope that's correct. I couldn't see anywhere that defined grade level for those outside the US. So, I opted with the reality for us here. Fingers crossed that's all okay 😬

It’ll probably be fine. Good luck to your kiddo!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, chocolate-chip chooky said:

Thank you!

Good luck to your daughter in June too. Is she doing much prep?

Nope, just cold turkey so she can have a baseline. It’ll be nice for her to see where she is and where she needs to be to be competitive for the schools she wants to attend.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Sneezyone said:

Nope, just cold turkey so she can have a baseline. It’ll be nice for her to see where she is and where she needs to be to be competitive for the schools she wants to attend.

Seems like you will have a more accurate baseline with some  prep, especially since you have so much time.  A few practice runs with sat or psat materials will do. She doesn't have to take an entire practice test in one sitting.  For the new 9th grader, we give him a section or two at a time.,  then as test date approaches a long section and a short section to do together.     Princeton, Barron practice guides have projected scoring that seem to be accurate within 10-20 points.   The practice tests are then  your baselines.  I would offer that if the practice scores aren't near the 50 percentile there probably is little benefit from taking the real exam at such age.   My kid is taking his 2nd sat this June.  God luck to your daughter..      p.s. here is a link to scaling: https://blog.prepscholar.com/sat-percentiles-and-score-rankings

Edited by gstharr
  • Like 1

On 5/23/2019 at 8:49 AM, gstharr said:

Seems like you will have a more accurate baseline with some  prep, especially since you have so much time.  A few practice runs with sat or psat materials will do. She doesn't have to take an entire practice test in one sitting.  For the new 9th grader, we give him a section or two at a time.,  then as test date approaches a long section and a short section to do together.     Princeton, Barron practice guides have projected scoring that seem to be accurate within 10-20 points.   The practice tests are then  your baselines.  I would offer that if the practice scores aren't near the 50 percentile there probably is little benefit from taking the real exam at such age.   My kid is taking his 2nd sat this June.  God luck to your daughter..      p.s. here is a link to scaling: https://blog.prepscholar.com/sat-percentiles-and-score-rankings

I’m not interested in prepping her because I would like her to know what she can achieve with zero effort. A goosed end of 8th grade score tells us nothing. Practice tests are unlike actual test conditions. The results won’t be seen by anyone but her, DH and I so prepping offers no benefit in terms of scholarships or authentic learning. She has three years to decide what *her* target scores are for the schools she wishes to attend. She also has three years to decide how hard she is willing to work to get those scores. 8th grade should not and will not be a high pressure/high expectation exercise for this student. I am hoping/trying to instill a preference for goal-driven preparation over time, not cramming. She is not going to be a NM competitor. She doesn’t need the scholarships. She just wants to get into the best match school for her.

Edited by Sneezyone