Menu

What's with the ads?

1GirlTwinBoys

If you can offer input on my thread on the K-8 board...

Here’s a link from the General Ed board that may be helpful. 

khan academy for math. Reading books at grade level for reading. Writing in a journal for writing. watching documentaries for social studies and science. Plus field trips on the weekends? Maybe the online version of Sequential Spelling, although that method is hit or miss. 

Oh, soaring with spelling might work. 

• Like 1

Also, get the kid hooked on PBS. This Old House, Bob Ross, Antiques Roadshow, etc. Fetch with Ruff Ruffman is a PBS kids show that is AMAZING in how much it teaches about all sorts of things. I swear I can never teach my kids anything new because they have learned it all already on PBS in one form or another 🙂

• Like 5

National Geographic website.

BBC science, history and other educational broadcasts and website.

Also CBC (Canada), ABC (Australia), and PBS (USA), similar resources.

Growing a vegetable garden (not free, but produces a benefit of food in addition to learning).

khanacademy

public library , including inter library loan materials

used bookstores

• Like 2

The library is my biggest source of free homeschool resources. Many times I’ve been looking for specific resources, thinking about buying them, then thought, Hey, I'lldo a card catalog search first . . .

Mine has the complete set of The History of US, lots of DK books, the “You wouldn’t want to be. . .” Line of history books, lots of science project books, Bill Nye videos, i think even a microscope that can be checked out. There is also access via library card to Encyclopedia Brittanica Online, which we use s lot for research on short papers.

At nine especially it would be good for history and science, plus reading/literature books. But sometimes it takes a lot of work from Mom’s side to coordinate, especially if output assignments are needed to monitor learning. 

There are also a few writing books at the library on specific topics, like poetry or descriptive writing, and also some teacher resource type books on different topics and the “What Your x-grader Needs to Know” books.

Ive also used Khan Academy a lot as a supplement to math.

• Like 1

If she can commit to a weekly or biweekly library trip he could do the thing where he picks one book about social studies/history (biographies are great for this, or the "You Wouldn't Want to Be" books), one book about science (topic of his choice), at least one fiction book that is not a "kids series), and then whatever else he wants. Read from each of those daily. Do Kahn Academy math. Write letters, write in a journal, write reviews of video games, whatever. Watch PBS. It's not a traditional education, but it would be a valid one. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, heartlikealion said:

Thanks.

In that situation, the only options I would consider marginally acceptable would be Connections Academy, K-12, or some other similar online public school program that would give him an online teacher and other resources.

Or in a few places there are Charter schools that have teachers who go to child’s house periodically to help, and provide books and other materials and phone check ins daily with a teacher.   They will still have IEP and other resources of public schools.  

• Like 1