Menu

Oxford Latin

It is my intention to begin Oxford in 6th grade and I desire wise words from those who have gone before. Did anything you used beforehand prepare you for it? Any great regrets? We will probably do GSWL & KGWL (GSWL2) beforehand. We will have finished Elementary Greek before we begin Oxford and possibly Ceasar's English. I haven't decided. How were your abilities after Oxford?

Well, my dd did the first book this yr (with an online provider) as an 8th grader after doing GSWL and LfC A&B and about half of Latin Alive 1. This yr was good solidification of what she already knew. Very different scope and sequence. Dd's teacher made the exercises into worksheets and required chanting forms and vocab drill with Quizlet. I like the balance of reading with grammar/vocab. 

I wish she had started Oxford at 6th grade! I think it is very managable for a motivated student, esp one with some previous Latin.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, ScoutTN said:

Well, my dd did the first book this yr (with an online provider) as an 8th grader after doing GSWL and LfC A&B and about half of Latin Alive 1. This yr was good solidification of what she already knew. Very different scope and sequence. Dd's teacher made the exercises into worksheets and required chanting forms and vocab drill with Quizlet. I like the balance of reading with grammar/vocab. 

I wish she had started Oxford at 6th grade! I think it is very managable for a motivated student, esp one with some previous Latin.

Do you have an opinion on which previous Latin would be preferable?

I think GSWL is similar to Oxford in the balance between emphasis on grammar/forms/vocab and reading. 

All vocabulary is good to have. An understanding of how nouns and adjectives are declined and how verbs are conjugated. Book 1 only does present tense, whereas most other curricula will move into imperfect and future pretty quickly.

• Thanks 1

We have stopped Latin because Sacha wanted to switch to Russian, but he did Song School Latin 1 and 2, Minimus 1 and 2, and GSWL before Oxford Latin Book 1 with CLRC and it was basically all review (which was fine at his age).

Edited by SeaConquest
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/21/2019 at 4:27 PM, SeaConquest said:

We have stopped Latin because Sacha wanted to switch to Russian, but he did Song School Latin 1 and 2, Minimus 1 and 2, and GSWL before Oxford Latin Book 1 with CLRC and it was basically all review (which was fine at his age).

Hi. Sorry. How long (months) did GSWL and Minimus take? I'm thinking GSWL, KGWL (GSWL2), Minimus, Segundas.

Eta: Or maybe just GSWL in 4th and KGWL in 5th. I am undecided.

Edited by Slache

Well, Sacha was super young (we started Latin in K), so we spread everything out. I've come around to the POV that waiting on Latin is the best idea. But, you know, first child. I couldn't have just listened to all the veterans on the board. I had to learn the hard way. Right?

(I'm still doing this, BTW. Just now with other subjects.)

I digress...

I haven't seen GSWL2, but GSWL is so thorough that you would have no issue going into Oxford after that. I don't recall the precise sequence, but a good deal of the first book will be review.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, SeaConquest said:

Well, Sacha was super young (we started Latin in K), so we spread everything out. I've come around to the POV that waiting on Latin is the best idea. But, you know, first child. I couldn't have just listened to all the veterans on the board. I had to learn the hard way. Right?

(I'm still doing this, BTW. Just now with other subjects.)

I digress...

I haven't seen GSWL2, but GSWL is so thorough that you would have no issue going into Oxford after that. I don't recall the precise sequence, but a good deal of the first book will be review.

I did that with Greek, but don't regret it. We spent 1st on the alphabet, breathing marks, accents and punctuation, then began a very easy grammar and copywork in 2nd and I want to start reading daily in 3rd while we continue the grammar. My goal is to finish Athenaze and Oxford by high school. :ph34r:

• 2 weeks later...
19 hours ago, kbutton said:

Is the sequel to Getting Started with Latin available yet? It appears to be just going to the publisher. 

No. He was hoping it would be out by September the last time I asked. I will not be needing it for 2 years with my current plans so I wasn't concerned.