Menu

What's with the ads?

trulycrabby

High school boys' soccer team party: How many burger buns do I buy?

I'm bringing burger buns to our high school boys' soccer team party, and have no idea how many to buy. Seventy people are expected; 35 of the 70 are ravenous teen boy athletes who can easily put away several burgers/barbecue sandwiches in one meal. How many buns should I bring? 

Edited by trulycrabby

Minimums of 2 buns per person.  

Having said that, when you start to get up over like 35 or so people, assuming there are other food options, you run into people filling up on different options.  Do you have families?  Do they have little kids?  Are there other food options like hot dogs or ribs or something?  

Oh, wait, you said barbecue sandwiches.  Bring like 250 buns.  Even people who don't eat burgers or barbecue are probably going to take buns.  

• Thanks 1

Thirty teenage boys? I'm gonna go with all of them. You will need all the buns. 😂

• Like 9
  • Haha 2

Who makes up the other half?  (Adults?)

Well, if you're thinking the teen boys will each eat 3, that's 105.  Then if half of whoever is left (say 18) eat 2 each, that' 36.  Then say the remaining 17 will each eat 1, so that's 17.  That's 158 total.  You can round it up to 160 or even 175.

But I agree with happysmileylady...  It's different if you're talking about burgers vs. barbeques.   I think burgers tend to be more filling.  I'd never eat more than one burger but I can eat two barbecues.

Will there be other food too?  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I would estimate 4 x 35 teenage boys and 2 x 35 normal appetites = 210 buns.

• Thanks 1

How many sides and desserts will there be? I would plan somewhere in the 140-210 range. I would ask whomever is providing the bbq, though, how much they are planning for and whether they are pre-assembling or allowing boys to serve themselves. Most boys I know would take larger portions of the meat but not get an extra bun for a bbq sandwich.

• Thanks 1

The other people will be parents and some younger kids. There will be barbeque sandwiches and burgers, but I'm not sure how many sides and desserts. 

Thank you so much for everyone's help! I will take 250,000 buns!  

Okay, 250. :wub:

Edited by trulycrabby
  • Like 6

2 hours ago, Mergath said:

Thirty teenage boys? I'm gonna go with all of them. You will need all the buns. 😂

lol That was exactly my first thought.  ALL OF THEM!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Between 150 -175 I would say. If you want some leftovers, probably 200 but then there are those people who see "leftovers" and eat those until there are no more.  🙂

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Liz CA said:

Between 150 -175 I would say. If you want some leftovers, probably 200 but then there are those people who see "leftovers" and eat those until there are no more.  🙂

Yes, those would be called teenage boys. :)

• Haha 1

Yup, my reflexive response was “all of them”, too!
I do lean toward overbuying, on purpose. Should I be left with a ton of extra buns, I’d stuff my freezers and send some to a food pantry. But athletic boys are unlikely to let that happen!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

When I was talking to dh about this thread last night, ds18 walked into the room.

His answer was: "How many does the store have?"  Yep.  Exactly.

• Haha 1