Menu

Language Lessons for Today vs LLfaLE

Nam2001

LLFLE 4 just came out a few months ago so not many people have used it for very long. I just started it myself with my daughter and so far, so good ... but I specifically chose it because it is light (she goes to a private school 1/2 time and also gets some language arts there.) 

• Thanks 1

I can add a little bit of info on Lang Lessons for Today 4.  I have not used the other program but see it's a 5 day a week program from the sample.   Lang Lessons for Today has 102 lessons.  It is designed as 3 days a week to be used in combination with the other language arts components of the mfw unit study and products. One would use Lang Lessons on M, T, W, and then on Th Friday use the writing program for grade 4 (which is Writing Strands level 3 with a new title to the book).  Also, students in mfw book would have spelling power.  Additionally, other CM language arts aspects are in the unit study program for memory work, reading, etc.  Lang Lessons for Today grade 4 was based on Emma Serl's Intermediate Lang Lessons drawing from the "grade 4 and 5" lessons mixed with other stuff. I can't remember if ILL grade 6 was in the Lang Lessons or not. minor issue  either way.  LLfT is non consumable text designed in mind that student does some lessons out loud  and some on regular cheap notebook paper.

not sure that helps much on deciding between the two. I know this. I do have to say from the sample of Lang for Living, I like how there are gentle teacher guides along the way.  That would have been helpful to me back in those days of teaching.  Instead of "narrate this story", Living Ed product gives some sample questions to ask to help with the narration. I would have appreciated that back in the day instead of learning all of that on my own in other ways.

I'm getting a lot of info on the liv ed. book from the sample on the publisher's page. haven't used it.   looks really user friendly and covers a lot in short lessons.

1 hour ago, cbollin said:

I can add a little bit of info on Lang Lessons for Today 4.  I have not used the other program but see it's a 5 day a week program from the sample.   Lang Lessons for Today has 102 lessons.  It is designed as 3 days a week to be used in combination with the other language arts components of the mfw unit study and products. One would use Lang Lessons on M, T, W, and then on Th Friday use the writing program for grade 4 (which is Writing Strands level 3 with a new title to the book).  Also, students in mfw book would have spelling power.  Additionally, other CM language arts aspects are in the unit study program for memory work, reading, etc.  Lang Lessons for Today grade 4 was based on Emma Serl's Intermediate Lang Lessons drawing from the "grade 4 and 5" lessons mixed with other stuff. I can't remember if ILL grade 6 was in the Lang Lessons or not. minor issue  either way.  LLfT is non consumable text designed in mind that student does some lessons out loud  and some on regular cheap notebook paper.

not sure that helps much on deciding between the two. I know this. I do have to say from the sample of Lang for Living, I like how there are gentle teacher guides along the way.  That would have been helpful to me back in those days of teaching.  Instead of "narrate this story", Living Ed product gives some sample questions to ask to help with the narration. I would have appreciated that back in the day instead of learning all of that on my own in other ways.

I'm getting a lot of info on the liv ed. book from the sample on the publisher's page. haven't used it.   looks really user friendly and covers a lot in short lessons.

Thanks! This is helpful! I think I’ve probably decided to use Language Lessons for a Living Education. Hopefully it will be just what we need 😊