Menu

Book Hunt----books by/about older people

Ottakee

The Mrs. Pollifax mystery series are fun books. They're about an elderly widow who joins the CIA and becomes a spy.  Very fun and sweet books.  So, not really about years gone by but good books nevertheless.

Also, possibly the English "Miss Read" books.  They're very gentle books about a school teacher in a small village in England.  I think they're loosely based on the author's life. The author began the series in her 40's, but wrote her last one when in her 80's.

I'll keep thinking.

• Like 2

Norman Maclean wrote A River Runs Through It in his 90’s and it’s such a beautiful little book.

I really like Madeleine L’Engle’s Two Part Invention about her marriage - it’s a memoir written after her husband passed away.

I don't know how old the author is but "The Unexpected Inheritance of Inspector Chopra" is about a retired Indian police inspector in India.  Not exactly about "days gone by" though.. but it is an older person.  

But for Memoirs I enjoyed:

"An Irish Country Childhood" by Marrie Walsh

"Call the Nurse: The True Stories of a Country Nurse on a Scotish Isle" by Mary MacLeod

"Father and I Were Ranchers" by Moody