Menu

Beast Academy questions

lulalu

Does the comic book teach the lessons? Or is there a teacher's guide for me to teach the lessons? We have been doing Singapore 1 this year and I have to teach a prepare the lessons. I need something more open and go next year. 

The teacher's guide teaches the lesson. I don't need to prepare for anything....usually.

However, I have a child in which I would teach using math manipulatives with. Or have pencil and paper ready to explain more. But I think ba does a really good job and explaining. I do sm 1 and 2 and it is a lot more work.

I do know someone who doesn't get how ba teaches though, so it may not be for everyone.  Her child gets it, so that is what matters. 😆😁

The book and workbook teach. They also now have videos on BA online that teach as well. 

The solutions guide has quite a bit of teaching in it as well. 

I find BA to be fairly open and go for my 7 and 8yo. But they're natural math thinkers and I still need to help often. It would have been a disaster for my 10yo. But Dd7 and dd8 love it and do well mostly independently and me in a more tutor position. 

Edited by MeaganS
  • Like 1

I had another thought. I don't know that I would do BA 2 after Singapore 1 only. I'd suggest finishing Singapore 2 before starting. It is quite a jump in level and even my Dd7, who finished the first 4 Miquon books still found it overwhelming. We set it aside for about 6 months until recently and it seems just right now. That's after memorizing her addition/subtraction/multiplication facts and working on getting her math stamina up. 

• Like 2

I do love how Beast Academy makes my kids think, and the problems are quite varied. We have not used level 2, only because it came out too late for my oldest, and I was not going to spend the money on another math program at that level. Our progression has been Right Start B, C, and then BA 3, 4, 5.

At the younger ages, I would read the new section in the guide aloud to my daughter, and then I would go over the instructions for the first section of the practice work with her. Once I felt she had a good grasp as to what is being asked of her, I would let her work with me nearby incase she needed guidance. When a group of problems was finished in the practice book, I would read the instructions for the next group out loud. The guide introduces the topic, and teaches, but there is some refining of the topic and new techniques introduced in the practice book.

Take a look at the assessment pages to see if your child is ready to jump into BA. Some basic math skills are needed before beginning.

https://beastacademy.com/resources/assessments

• Like 1