Menu

Brand of tea bags

mumto2

I have been spoiled by living in the UK and being able to buy P &G Tea bags inexpensively.  I am in the US and down to my last 10 tea bags......even in hot weather I drink a couple cups of tea a day.  I have started looking and can buy P&G on Amazon but it is so expensive considering my consumption levels.  I like my tea strong.  I will be primarily in the US for the next 3 years at least so I need a US tea brand! What do you like?

Honestly these threads are just really jarring. One minute we're discussing whether it's ok to talk about tea and the next we're deciding how strong we like it. And the problem is, I always thought you just left it in longer?

Sorry, lol. 

https://www.amazon.com/Tips-Bags-Free-teabags-total/dp/B00GKL51PW/ref=pd_cp_325_1?pd_rd_w=yzUxQ&pf_rd_p=ef4dc990-a9ca-4945-ae0b-f8d549198ed6&pf_rd_r=20SRM2T8JQEG8DXB79PR&pd_rd_r=fdea70bd-7982-11e9-a69b-37a3210f4837&pd_rd_wg=zzNAo&pd_rd_i=B00GKL51PW&refRID=20SRM2T8JQEG8DXB79PR&th=1  This is 480 bags for $20, which doesn't seem too bad. I'm not sure if you get an american equivalent, because that seems really specialized, using just the tip top leaves.

Have you tried McDonald's tea? It's not hot, but a lot of people like it. It's only $1.

• Like 3
  • Haha 10

All the good tea I’ve had is imported and tends to be expensive. I suggest you stick with what you like, but get it in as bulk and inexpensive as you can with an airtight canister to keep it in for as much freshness as possible.

btw: how do you do and take your tea? (This was a family discussion recently.) How many minutes steeping? Do you use a teapot? Milk (and if so, what type?) Sugar?  We are trying to manage an English “cuppa” and can’t seem to get it right. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mumto2 said:

I have been spoiled by living in the UK and being able to buy P &G Tea bags inexpensively.  I am in the US and down to my last 10 tea bags......even in hot weather I drink a couple cups of tea a day.  I have started looking and can buy P&G on Amazon but it is so expensive considering my consumption levels.  I like my tea strong.  I will be primarily in the US for the next 3 years at least so I need a US tea brand! What do you like?

Many grocery stores carry P&G tea bags. Even my local Central Texas grocery store sells them. 🙂

I usually buy Lipton loose tea, but if I buy bags, I buy either Lipton or Red Rose.

FTR, I use loose black tea, even if I am making one cup (I have an infuser that fits in the cup). Boiling water, steep for exactly four minutes, sweetener, cream, never lemon in hot (black) tea.

For some reason, tea bags brewed in a tea pot taste different from a single tea bag in a cup. I don't know the science behind it, but my taste buds notice the difference. 🙂

If I'm serving tea to several, I always use a teapot, never hot water and tea bags. I have a large coffee urn that has only ever had tea brewed in it, which I use for really large groups.

• Like 4

34 minutes ago, PeterPan said:

Honestly these threads are just really jarring. One minute we're discussing whether it's ok to talk about tea and the next we're deciding how strong we like it. And the problem is, I always thought you just left it in longer?

Sorry, lol. 

https://www.amazon.com/Tips-Bags-Free-teabags-total/dp/B00GKL51PW/ref=pd_cp_325_1?pd_rd_w=yzUxQ&pf_rd_p=ef4dc990-a9ca-4945-ae0b-f8d549198ed6&pf_rd_r=20SRM2T8JQEG8DXB79PR&pd_rd_r=fdea70bd-7982-11e9-a69b-37a3210f4837&pd_rd_wg=zzNAo&pd_rd_i=B00GKL51PW&refRID=20SRM2T8JQEG8DXB79PR&th=1  This is 480 bags for $20, which doesn't seem too bad. I'm not sure if you get an american equivalent, because that seems really specialized, using just the tip top leaves.

Have you tried McDonald's tea? It's not hot, but a lot of people like it. It's only $1.

I find these threads a bit jarring myself!  I was hoping that bags was a clue about the type......  I wasn’t sure that I even wanted to start this thread.  So thank you for responding.

Amazon wasn’t giving me the 480 for 20 dollars.  I was finding 40 bags for around $10 there a couple of days ago which would not last long!   I suspect they knew I was desperate!  I am ordering off your link so I don’t run out.  It really would be a crisis.😉

Never tried tea from McDonalds in the US.  I will now.

I am still open to ideas....I actually grew up with Red Rose but haven’t had it in a really long time.  Not sure if I would like it now.  I have never liked Lipton.

Heading out with my family for the afternoon so will check in later with how to make Yorkshire style tea.......it varies.  😉

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, mumto2 said:

Amazon wasn’t giving me the 480 for 20 dollars.

I just put "p&g tea" into my google bar and up popped the amazon link. It's one of the most popular hits for the tea apparently. So I found it with google instead of through amazon.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mumto2 said:

.I actually grew up with Red Rose but haven’t had it in a really long time.

You may or may not like it now, but I prefer Red Rose. It seems stronger than most typical U.S. brands to me, but then I also leave the bag in absurdly long.

• Like 2

American tea just isn't as good as British tea.  Will you have any visitors coming that can bring boxes of tea to you?  That's what all my British friends do.  They say that the British tea you can buy here isn't as good.  

• Like 1

Well, teabagging IS a thing....

Back on topic, no, you don't just leave the tea in longer. Then it oversteeps and you get too many tannins (too much tannins?) in your beverage.

We also buy mostly all loose leaf teas. And we have a lot of them.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

I like Ahmad tea, which I get from Amazon on auto-delivery. There are many types and flavors available, and you can get it in bags or loose leaf. I think Ahmad is a British brand, though I'm not entirely sure.

At the time of this post, I can see a box of 100 tea bags of "English Tea #1" for $6.74.  They also sell herbal,  decaf, green, black flavored, green flavored, fruit flavored, etc. Here, for example, is a box of loose leaf cardamon flavored black tea.  I actually bought the wooden tea keeper box, which comes with the tea in it, and have been refilling it with various flavors for the last 3 years.

• Like 1

I've always loved Twinnings tea. Irish Breakfast was my favorite as well as Vanilla tea and a summer berry one that I've forgotten the name of at the moment. I keep meaning to try decaf Irish Breakfast since we have given up all caffeine. Does it taste relatively the same as the regular Irish Breakfast?

In large metro areas in the US, you can usually find at least one British tea shop, typically owned by a British citizen living in the US. They almost always have at least Twinnings and PG Tips teas. And often other assorted British goods that they have imported directly from the UK rather than from US distributors of British companies.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, sweet2ndchance said:

you can usually find at least one British tea shop

Why have I never thought to look for this? I've hit up some indian groceries, which are really fun, but I hadn't thought about british. Yum, field trip!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Other than buying online, the only other thing I've found are Tetley British Blend tea bags at Walmart. The taste is good and tastes like British tea but they aren't very strong. Not too bad if you leave it to steep. They are under $3 for 80 tea bags, so a lot cheaper than those on line. I love Yorkshire Gold tea myself but that is more pricey. You can get it online from both Amazon and Walmart online. I always bring as many as I can back when I'm visiting England and my Mom brings as many as she can for me when she comes this way.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PeterPan said:

Why have I never thought to look for this? I've hit up some indian groceries, which are really fun, but I hadn't thought about british. Yum, field trip!!

The best ones are the ones that also carry British candy (its been so long since ive had proper milky buttons lol) .

• Like 1

4 hours ago, hellen said:

American tea just isn't as good as British tea.  Will you have any visitors coming that can bring boxes of tea to you?  That's what all my British friends do.  They say that the British tea you can buy here isn't as good.  

I have always carried my supply in the past but think I will now need 9 months worth.  We travel carry on ....... I need to become self sufficient or cut my intake.😉 I don’t plan on enough company.

5 hours ago, Innisfree said:

You may or may not like it now, but I prefer Red Rose. It seems stronger than most typical U.S. brands to me, but then I also leave the bag in absurdly long.

I now have 480 teabags coming tomorrow for a price pretty similar to what I would pay in the UK thanks to Peter Pan.  I might buy a small box of Red Rose to try, just so I have something off the shelf at my grocery store.

2 hours ago, RosemaryAndThyme said:

I like Ahmad tea, which I get from Amazon on auto-delivery. There are many types and flavors available, and you can get it in bags or loose leaf. I think Ahmad is a British brand, though I'm not entirely sure.

At the time of this post, I can see a box of 100 tea bags of "English Tea #1" for $6.74.  They also sell herbal,  decaf, green, black flavored, green flavored, fruit flavored, etc. Here, for example, is a box of loose leaf cardamon flavored black tea.  I actually bought the wooden tea keeper box, which comes with the tea in it, and have been refilling it with various flavors for the last 3 years.

I have seen Ahmed in England but I don’t think I have tried it.  It isn’t a brand that is in every grocery store like Tetley and P&G.

1 hour ago, sweet2ndchance said:

I've always loved Twinnings tea. Irish Breakfast was my favorite as well as Vanilla tea and a summer berry one that I've forgotten the name of at the moment. I keep meaning to try decaf Irish Breakfast since we have given up all caffeine. Does it taste relatively the same as the regular Irish Breakfast?

In large metro areas in the US, you can usually find at least one British tea shop, typically owned by a British citizen living in the US. They almost always have at least Twinnings and PG Tips teas. And often other assorted British goods that they have imported directly from the UK rather than from US distributors of British companies.

I love Twinnings flavored teas......they have a black current and a cranberry that are awesome.  If I carry tea this summer it will probably be flavored types.  Their basic tea in the yellow package simply isn’t quite strong enough for my tastes long term.

We lived in this area years ago and our old British shop is gone.  I am sure there are must be one  in the area because lots of expats so good idea.  My Publix doesn’t have my tea but it does have Bisto (gravy granules) which was a very happy discovery.  I know that some Publix do carry P&G just not my close ones and i think it was pricey in terms of long term.....

32 minutes ago, TCB said:

Other than buying online, the only other thing I've found are Tetley British Blend tea bags at Walmart. The taste is good and tastes like British tea but they aren't very strong. Not too bad if you leave it to steep. They are under $3 for 80 tea bags, so a lot cheaper than those on line. I love Yorkshire Gold tea myself but that is more pricey. You can get it online from both Amazon and Walmart online. I always bring as many as I can back when I'm visiting England and my Mom brings as many as she can for me when she comes this way.

I have done the Tetley before when visiting the US It was just fine but not right.  I didn’t think the Yorkshire tea tasted right here......I brought the plain box over a couple of years ago.  I figured it was water related.   It is good tea.  

9 hours ago, Pen said:

All the good tea I’ve had is imported and tends to be expensive. I suggest you stick with what you like, but get it in as bulk and inexpensive as you can with an airtight canister to keep it in for as much freshness as possible.

btw: how do you do and take your tea? (This was a family discussion recently.) How many minutes steeping? Do you use a teapot? Milk (and if so, what type?) Sugar?  We are trying to manage an English “cuppa” and can’t seem to get it right. 

I have worked at so many events where I end up serving and making the tea.  I have been lectured by so many......so here is my Yorkshire tea summary.  

When using a teapot you are supposed to prewarm it.  You put about half cup of water in first, swish it around then pour it out.  Add the tea bags or tea, then add boiling water.  Ideally the ladies expect to be serving two minutes or so after this procedure.  Most of these teapots hold 10 to 20 cups and we use between 4 and 6 teabags.  If the water is boiling properly the tea is ready at the 2 minutes.  You can add water and a couple more teabags once and people don’t complain.  After that start fresh.  Serving between 100 to 125 cups is not unusual.

Milk, everyone uses regular old milk, many even use semi (2%comparable).  The secret is you put the milk in the cup first.....we actually pre set up cups with milk in for big crowds where we want to go quickly.  Not many people use sugar, almost everyone wants milk.

At home,  I generally pour the water onto my teabag in my cup.  I check the color darkness in maybe 30 seconds and discard the teabag and add my semi milk.  I honestly don’t think there is a huge difference but it is a bit nicer with the prewarmed teapot etc.  

For fun I will add a link to the classic cheese scone recipe that everyone uses......They are awesome!  Serve with butter......https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/1666638/classic-cheese-scones

Edited by mumto2
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

11 minutes ago, mumto2 said:

I have worked at so many events where I end up serving and making the tea.  I have been lectured by so many......so here is my Yorkshire tea summary.  

When using a teapot you are supposed to prewarm it.  You put about half cup of water in first, swish it around then pour it out.  Add the tea bags or tea, then add boiling water.  Ideally the ladies expect to be serving two minutes or so after this procedure.  Most of these teapots hold 10 to 20 cups and we use between 4 and 6 teabags.  If the water is boiling properly the tea is ready at the 2 minutes.  You can add water and a couple more teabags once and people don’t complain.  After that start fresh.  Serving between 100 to 125 cups is not unusual.

Milk, everyone uses regular old milk, many even use semi (2%comparable).  The secret is you put the milk in the cup first.....we actually pre set up cups with milk in for big crowds where we want to go quickly.  Not many people use sugar, almost everyone wants milk.

At home,  I generally pour the water onto my teabag in my cup.  I check the color darkness in maybe 30 seconds and discard the teabag and add my semi milk.  I honestly don’t think there is a huge difference but it is a bit nicer with the prewarmed teapot etc.  

For fun I will add a link to the classic cheese scone recipe that everyone uses......They are awesome!  Serve with butter......https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/1666638/classic-cheese-scones

Probably a dumb question, but does the teapot have to be a separate ceramic teapot (my recollection of England was separate pottery teapots and this seems to fit with your instructions)— can’t put the tea into the same stainless steel kettle where the water is boiled? 

9 minutes ago, happysmileylady said:

So...wow.   

Do people who aren't actually meeting with QE2 offended if these procedures aren't used?  

I was asking not from a polite ceremonial reason, but because I cannot get  right tea  taste (or feeling or something ? Maybe air in the water?) in USA.    

9 minutes ago, happysmileylady said:

So...wow.   

Do people who aren't actually meeting with QE2 offended if these procedures aren't used?  

Ummmm.......honestly I am not always sure when I am being lectured (as in you should know by now) and when people are just talking about the tea because they need something to say to me.  People are definitely pleased when I manage to turn out a decent cuppa.   The British have a way of expressing disapproval where it is such a nuisance that I suspect I still miss it frequently.  A couple times people have apologized weeks later for being rude to me, I had no clue I had been mistreated.😂

btw,  if someone stops by my house the teabag in the mug method is just fine.  I have one friend who used loose leaf in a teapot (her mum does too) but most people are teabag in a mug for everyday.

2 minutes ago, Pen said:

I was asking not from a polite ceremonial reason, but because I cannot get  right tea  taste (or feeling or something ? Maybe air in the water?) in USA.    

FYI,  I recently bought a kettle I quite like a Walmart.....https://www.walmart.com/ip/KRUPS-Cool-Touch-Kettle/449077142?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=923&adid=22222222227152076714&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=t&wl3=263883330220&wl4=pla-436388713361&wl5=9011760&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=117084246&wl11=online&wl12=449077142&wl13=&veh=sem&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI6oj9tL-m4gIV27bACh3LDQc9EAQYAyABEgJUhPD_BwE. I think it’s cheaper on Amazon.  It’s stainless inside and the water boils quite hard.  I have been told some teas like Yorkshire brand  are actually designed for hard water.  The kettle is a huge improvement from boiling in the microwave!

16 minutes ago, Pen said:

Probably a dumb question, but does the teapot have to be a separate ceramic teapot (my recollection of England was separate pottery teapots and this seems to fit with your instructions)— can’t put the tea into the same stainless steel kettle where the water is boiled? 

I think it has to be separate. The water needs to be poured onto the teabags.  

Some serving teapots are stainless https://www.englishteastore.com/stainless-teapot-savoy-47oz.html.  This is the type my group situations normally have.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, mumto2 said:

My Publix doesn’t have my tea but it does have Bisto (gravy granules) which was a very happy discovery.  I know that some Publix do carry P&G just not my close ones and i think it was pricey in terms of long term.....

I had forgotten about Bisto lol. My ex-husband is British and we had his mother ship us Bisto, Coleman's prepared English mustard, chocolate oranges, Marmite, black currant squash, tea.... My ex-mil is the reason I've been researching how to grow my own currants lol. She is also the one that introduced me to English curry and gravy and chips (what we call french fries).

Edited by sweet2ndchance
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, sweet2ndchance said:

I had forgotten about Bisto lol. My ex-husband is British and we had his mother ship us Bisto, Coleman's prepared English mustard, chocolate oranges, Marmite, black currant squash, tea.... My ex-mil is the reason I've been researching how to grow my own currants lol. She is also the one that introduced me to English curry and gravy and chips (what we call french fries).

Bisto is just so convenient and it’s good.  It took me about a year to figure out that British women were not universally great at making huge amounts of smooth gravy out of the drippings a comparatively small roast, chicken etc.  😂. Thanks to Bisto I can serve a Sunday Roast with loads of gravy for all really easy.  I no longer remember how to make real gravy.......

I fell in love with black currents years before we ever seriously thought about moving to the UK.  I couldn’t have black currents because have state agricultural restrictions but had some thriving red currents and gooseberries.  My bf took my bushes when we moved and they are still producing 20 years after I bought them.  

Marmite is such the acquired taste.  I am not a fan except for some crisps that are marmite flavored which I enjoy in small quantities.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, mumto2 said:

Marmite is such the acquired taste.  I am not a fan except for some crisps that are marmite flavored which I enjoy in small quantities.

That it is, lol! I can't stand it but my ex-huband loved big English breakfasts with eggs, beans, tomatoes, mushrooms, bacon AND sausages and marmite on toast. We usually had a big English breakfast for dinner at least once a month.

Luckily there aren't any agriculture restrictions on currants where I currently live (pun unintended lol). I know a lot of places restrict them though because of white pine blister rust. I want to try gooseberries and red, white and black currants and jostaberries. I've been trying to convince my dh (not my ex lol) to let me plant a hedgerow modeled after the ones I saw in England lol.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, sweet2ndchance said:

That it is, lol! I can't stand it but my ex-huband loved big English breakfasts with eggs, beans, tomatoes, mushrooms, bacon AND sausages and marmite on toast. We usually had a big English breakfast for dinner at least once a month.

Luckily there aren't any agriculture restrictions on currants where I currently live (pun unintended lol). I know a lot of places restrict them though because of white pine blister rust. I want to try gooseberries and red, white and black currants and jostaberries. I've been trying to convince my dh (not my ex lol) to let me plant a hedgerow modeled after the ones I saw in England lol.

I had jostaberries too.  They were hard to get started (perhaps my soil was wrong because I only had about a dozen berries per bush in 10 years)but are thriving for bf.  She does not harvest many apparently because one of her dogs loves them!😂

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Pen said:

No, you wouldn't want to do that. You want your tea kettle to remain clean, KWIM? So use a tea pot; it doesn't have to be ceramic.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, happysmileylady said:

I was just trying to be a bit funny was all.  I apologize if I came across incorrectly.  

I thought you were being funny but decided to make a bit of a point because so many thinks being an American living in the UK is so easy.  Yes, I speak the language but I don’t always understand it.  They don’t always understand me either!

• Like 1

When I have company I do the whole warmed teapot and loose tea dance.  Most days, however, I just make a mug of Trader Joe's Irish Breakfast tea from a tea bag.  It's as good as Twinings but less expensive.  I have a zojurushi water boiler that keeps the water at black tea temperature all day and sleeps at night.  I brew my tea for five minutes. (Yes, I set a timer) and drink it with a teaspoon of sugar and a splash of milk.  DS and I have a cup like this at least twice a day.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, KungFuPanda said:

When I have company I do the whole warmed teapot and loose tea dance.  Most days, however, I just make a mug of Trader Joe's Irish Breakfast tea from a tea bag.  It's as good as Twinings but less expensive.  I have a zojurushi water boiler that keeps the water at black tea temperature all day and sleeps at night.  I brew my tea for five minutes. (Yes, I set a timer) and drink it with a teaspoon of sugar and a splash of milk.  DS and I have a cup like this at least twice a day.

I make myself a proper pot of tea with loose leaves from a local traditional tea merchant each morning at weekends - and drink the whole pot-full myself.  I recently broke the big teapot that we had had for thirty years (it was just a cheap one we bought in Taiwan) so I now have an enormous new one and have ordered a new tea cosy to fit it.

For the rest of the week, it's a bag in a mug. I like my tea milky with no sugar; I use oatmilk, which is not at all traditional, but I like it.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, KungFuPanda said:

Thank for the Trader Joe’s Irish Breakfast tea idea.  We will be living close to a TJ and I have never tried their tea.  I have never seen a water boiler like the zojurushi so I had fun googling.  Many community gathering places have huge instant hot water supplies for tea making.

My huge boxes of P&G arrived thanks to the great deal on Amazon Peter Pan found so my immediate crisis is averted.  

• Like 3

I'm glad you got your PG Tips! We can get ours from World Market or Publix and I just pay the prices for them because we have to have it. 😂

My Dad, a Yorshireman, has a definitive way of wanting his tea made if not in a pot: hot water poured over the tea bag and steeped for 4 minutes then discard the bag and add only a splash of milk. He used to have it poured over the tea bag and then dunked 20 times then taken out but apparently he saw a documentary about the best way to make a cup of tea and now wants it done the previous way. LOL! I just finished visiting my parents and I thought "I" drank a lot of tea. I couldn't keep up. I like mine light and sweet though!

• Like 3

On 5/18/2019 at 8:39 PM, happysmileylady said:

So...wow.   

Not the OP, but in my experience no one cares as long as you're serving them a cup of tea. People are much too polite to say anything if it's awful. LOL!

• Like 1

On 5/18/2019 at 10:25 AM, mumto2 said:

I get PG Tips at our grocery store.  IMO there are no American brands of tea bags that make a good strong tea that tastes good.   The closest I've found is Numi Pu-ehr, but it's Pu-ehr so a little mushroomy.  If I use Republic of Tea, I need to use about four bags and it's expensive.  So I use loose tea instead.  But I order it.  Mountain Rose Herbs has affordable loose black tea that is nice - I like the Vanilla black - the vanilla is very mild and not sweet.  Lately I've discovered Plum Deluxe teas - they are so good I'm drinking through the rest of my teas to get rid of them, and after that I'm only buying Plum Deluxe.  

I make loose tea in a Bodum mesh diffuser.  But when I feel lazy I just throw the tea and water into a cream pitcher (it has a spout) and after it's brewed, I pour it through a strainer into my mug.  Unsweetened almond milk and no sugar.  

Edited by laundrycrisis
  • Like 1

Kericho Gold is my favorite, but we used to spend lots of time at the Tea Hotel in Kericho drinking it on the veranda that overlooked the tea plantation.  It is sold on Amazon.

Ketepa is a close second.  I can get it at our local Indian Grocery store or order it on Amazon.  

• Like 1

My husband is Egyptian and drinks a lot of tea.  We usually go to our local Desi grocery store to buy tea.  He likes Brooke Bond Red Label.  I like Tetley's Masala Tea.  

Our Publix (grocery store) carries PG Tips.  

• Like 1