Menu

At what stage do you stop having your dc read aloud to you regularly? nt

rafiki

I have three boys. DS 1 and 2 stopped readind out loud to me at about third grade. At that point the read their stories independently and then we would discuss them. DS 3 is finishing grade three in about 6 weeks and I am just now having him do some reading silently. I would wait until the child reads fluently enough orally so as not to routinely stumble over prononciation or vocabulary. Child 3 still struggles but has come a long way since switching to BJU's reading program. He still reads that out loud to me, but does additional reading silently on his own.

My oldest stopped reading aloud to me at about 6yo. She was reading chapter books fluently at that age.

My middle stopped reading aloud to me at almost 8yo. She was reading chapter books fluently at that age.

My youngest is almost 10yo. She is dyslexic. She will probably always be required to read aloud to me to some extent.

I stop requiring daily reading aloud about a month or two after the kids start reading silently. For my kids, this happened about the same time that they started reading chapter books.

However, I still require frequent reading aloud to make sure that they aren't having trouble with any reading skills. I also require them to read to younger siblings and to read poetry aloud regularly. It just stopped being a daily skill requirement. My ds17 still reads to his sisters, and he and I have always done co-reading on difficult books. Yesterday, was the last time I had him read aloud to me. :rolleyes:

always have two books going for school. One they have to read by themselves, a chapter a day, the other we share, sitting together on the couch and taking turns,page by page. OK - with youngest dd, as we finish HP7, we are letting Jim Dale read to us.:D.but she is still reading another assigned book on her own. this is in addition to any free reading a kid chooses to do. Then they can read whatever they like. I pick the school stuff. I try to pick several titles and let the kid pick which one.

We just read aloud to each other as a lifestyle. It is just a normal thing for us to take turns reading a Bible passage and the devotion. Someone may read something interesting and read it to someone. Or, I may get tired of reading aloud and someone will take over. I don't see us stopping until they move out.

My older son pretty much stopped in fifth grade because he was just tired of doing it. He would still read things aloud to me at times, and didn't ever seem to lose his agility in doing that, so I didn't worry about it. It is a separate skill from reading silently, and some may need more regular practice in it than others.

I don't really require my younger son to read aloud to me on a regular basis because he has a speech impediment and it is very difficult for him to do that. He does voluntarily do it for me when he wants me to hear something, but it's not a daily requirement for him.

So I think you have to look at the needs and abilities of each individual child in gauging when and how to do this,

Regena

A large amount of reading aloud stops about 3rd grade - when dc are reading proficiently on their own.

However, I try to incorporate some reading aloud into everyday. Right now we are doing Bible together and share the reading. Sometimes, if I have to take of something while reading something to one of the youngers, I ask an older child to read to the younger sibling instead.

Being able to read aloud well is a great skill to have.

Our boys are 14 and almost 16 and we still do "popcorn reading" (you read a page, I read a page) regularly. We do this for any literature that is either a little above their reading level (last year we did it with Lightning Literature), or with works we want to do slowly together so we can discuss as we go. It's also a great way to discuss/learn vocabulary in context.

We've always scheduled it into our school day -- about 20 minutes per boy, 3-4 times a week. Enjoy your reading times together! Warmly, Lori D.

Jacob Loves to read aloud , so when he wants to i encourage it, My parents never did and I did not feel comfortable reading aloud till i was in 7th grade :(

So when jacob wants to read aloud I stop what ever im doing and listen :)

and if he does not want to I dont push it either (Thats Rarely though, he simply Loves to read )

Iv never tried the popcorn reading lori lol I love to read now so we will have to do that Thanks for the Idea :)

I agree that reading aloud is a skill that needs practice even if the person is fluent. I have noticed that many adults have difficulty reading aloud. My kids and I read in tandem. It is a great way for them to hear how the story is supposed be read, and a way for me to hear where they need improvement (and to praise them!) (And yes it is time consuming to read with 3 kids at different levels.)

Both my boys :( are now stuttering. Hobbes has benefited from therapy and is doing much better, Calvin is still unknowable. The therapist recommends reading out loud in order that they have the experience every day of smooth speech. Both started reading at around four and are very far ahead of grade in their silent reading.

Laura

Read alouds help the children learn how to properly enunciate words and it is good for recitation purposes. Memorizing and read alouds should never stop. The older they are the hard the text, you need to be able to hear if the child is pronouncing words correctly and understands what they are reading. It helps with oration.

Blessings,

Karen

http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/testimony