Menu

Anyone have bad experience with Zenni?

Kassia

I ordered my first pairs of glasses ever from Zenni partially based on the comments here.  I received my glasses today and the frame on one pair is bent.  I contacted them and it took forever to get someone on chat and then they gave me lousy choices on how to resolve the issue until I pushed harder and then they finally agreed to send me a return label and they will switch the lenses to new frames but only after telling me that they never do this and how they will only do it ONCE (the person on chat put it in all caps).  I spent over an hour getting this resolved and am really disappointed because I expected better service. I was just wondering if others have had bad experiences, too, or is it just me?

• Sad 1

I wouldn’t say bad service, but just expected problems from ordering something like that online. I received a pair that looked nothing on me like they looked on the site, on my photo (and I “tried them on” with two different photos). I don’t think I will order from them again. Walmart is fairly inexpensive for in-person service, and at least I can be sure what I’m getting. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

12 minutes ago, Arctic Mama said:

I’ve not had trouble but I also don’t expect much 😆

I wasn't expecting much but the frames are bent and I expected Zenni to fix the problem without costing me money or too much of an inconvenience.  I felt like I received a damaged item and they wanted to put the burden of fixing it on me.  

Edited by Kassia
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

38 minutes ago, Arctic Mama said:

Oh I agree they should ship out a replacement, but the customer service runaround does t surprise me.  I just ordered from them today again and hope there is no damage, but I’d expect the same issues you had if there was.  I hate returning orders 🥺

I got them to agree to pay to ship back the glasses and they are going to switch the lenses into new frames.  

No issues here. But I don’t do chat feature for any company this as I find the people doing the chat feature are not really caring/paying attention/reading comprehension. A phone call tends to yield much better service for these types of issues.  They probably were thinking you bent the frame and why should they fix it do to not really listening. 

I am surprised they gave you that  run around. And sad they did that to you. If a Frame was damaged when you received it, I am surprised they didn't offer to send you another Frame. They have videos on their web site showing how to replace lenses. How to take the lenses out of the old frame and insert them into the new frame. It takes several minutes.

I usually do not like to "chat".   We have had great service from Zenni. When I have had questions, I sent them an email and since they are in China, I assumed the next morning (if it was a weekday) I would receive a reply.

And, when I made a dumb mistake and changed the P.D. on the eyeglasses I ordered to use with this Laptop (which are on my head as I type this) they caught my error and they held our order.  I then thanked them and gave them the proper P.D., which the Optometrist had given to me and I had changed, thinking it was her mistake and that it should have been the same P.D. as the eyeglasses I ordered for Distance.

We have not had any issues with defective eyeglasses from 
Zenni but considering that they ship many thousands of pairs every day (I forget how many pairs) I can see how some of them would have issues.

I would suggest, based on my own experience communicating with Zenni via email that you consider doing that in the future.

1 hour ago, Lanny said:

I am surprised they gave you that  run around. And sad they did that to you. If a Frame was damaged when you received it, I am surprised they didn't offer to send you another Frame. They have videos on their web site showing how to replace lenses. How to take the lenses out of the old frame and insert them into the new frame. It takes several minutes.

I usually do not like to "chat".   We have had great service from Zenni. When I have had questions, I sent them an email and since they are in China, I assumed the next morning (if it was a weekday) I would receive a reply.

I would suggest, based on my own experience communicating with Zenni via email that you consider doing that in the future.

They did offer to send me new frames and have me switch the lenses from the bent frames to the new ones but I was uncomfortable doing that and didn't feel like I should since I paid for new glasses.  

I usually have good luck with the chat feature when I need it but have never dealt with Zenni before.  Thanks for sharing your experience with their email customer service.  

• Like 1

My prescription didn't seem right when I bought from them. They were so cheap, that I didn't follow up, but I didn't shop there again. I've never had an issue with Warby Parker. I've still got a pair of WP's that are my backup glasses that are like a decade old now and still in good shape.

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, SquirrellyMama said:

What a bummer 😞 I've never had problems with them. BUT... if they ever used the "we'll do it this ONE time" line I'd never go back. I hate, hate, hate when people say this! There are such better ways to get this across. 

Kelly

Yeah, I didn't like that.  They sent me damaged merchandise and acted like they were doing me a favor to fix the problem.  

We ordered from them once. The glasses were fine, but it took like a month to arrive. We had trouble trying to contact the company to get any updates. We didn't have that experience with 39DollarGlasses, so we've always went with them since - good glasses, fast shipping. We've never had to deal with 39DollarGlasses's customer service though - haven't needed them.

• Like 1

I had a terrible experience with them once, after having 3 prior successful orders.

I paid for rush shipping.  I ordered 3 pairs at once.  Two of them were made fine.  The third pair was an issue. They simply couldn't make them.  After 3 weeks of them refusing to ship the rest of the order that was ready I told them I would dispute the charge with my credit card if they didn't overnight them immediately and credit my account for the pair they'd attempted to make 5 times but kept getting tossed at quality control.

They did send me 3 pairs.  The last pair (supposed to be sunglasses) wasn't what I ordered at all, not the right frames, not the right color, not the right tint. None of the three were anything I could see through.  All terrible quality.  I took them to my local optical shop to have them tested so I could see what was wrong with them for the purposes of the dispute.  And also to just order some frames locally.  It turned out all three pairs were the right prescription but the center of the lens was set as far to the bottom of the frames as possible (I guess like reading glasses but with a distance prescription?) so there was more distortion than I got naturally from going without glasses at all.  They were awful.  I DID have to dispute with my credit card company and I got all of my money back.  SO annoying I'll never do it again.

• Thanks 1

My kids have ordered from them and always had fine service.  I ordered from Warby Parker recently and had outstanding service.  They even expedited my order for free since I was leaving the country soon for several months and needed them quickly.  They also have stores in major cities where you can actually go in and try them on and have them adjusted.  

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Kassia said:

They did offer to send me new frames and have me switch the lenses from the bent frames to the new ones but I was uncomfortable doing that and didn't feel like I should since I paid for new glasses.  

I usually have good luck with the chat feature when I need it but have never dealt with Zenni before.  Thanks for sharing your experience with their email customer service.  

OK. I can understand that. They have videos on their web site showing how to do that, with different types of frames. Plastic and Metal. I suspect it is easier to do that with a Metal Frame, which is what I have, than with Plastic frames.

Their email Customer Service, and the email I received from their Lab, when they caught my mistake last July, has been fine. If you are in the USA (we are not but we are on EST or UTC -5) there is approximately a 12  hour time difference. So, for example, if you send them an email at about 6 P.M. EST on Sunday, it will be Monday morning there.  So, their answer probably will not come during the daytime in the USA, but when you are sleeping.

Their response in your case seems to have been poor.  I like to document things in emails, trying to keep it short, but complete, and courteous and friendly and usually that works.

One thing I suggest, whether selecting frames for eyeglasses or some WiFi gizmo for your house or whatever, is to buy the ones that are the most popular and have the most positive reviews.

Also, with Zenni, if one breaks a Frame, and if they still have that Frame in stock, you can buy the Frame only for 50% of their normal price for the Frame with Basic lenses and exchange the lenses.   

• Like 1