Menu

Any advice hive? Neighbor and tree

I just thought I would post a question.  We have a large tree that is rather close to a neighbor's house. With windstorms in the past, other trees have toppled, but this one remains strong.  I think my neighbor is nervous about it, and perhaps rightfully so. Because they will be doing some repair work on their house soon, they approached me saying they would be glad to pay and have the tree removed.   My husband agrees that they can pay to have it removed.  My question is, should we offer to pay 1/2, or since they want it removed and they offered, should I not offer? (My husband does not want to offer, but I am wondering what most people do in these circumstances)?  Thanks, Hive!

I think it would be nice to offer to pay half, but since it was their suggestion I certainly don't think you're obligated to.

(Our neighbor's huge Bradford pear has been laying on our storage building for three weeks today. It came partially down on a very windy day and I don't think they have the funds to finish it off. I suppose we'll get somebody to get it off our building and cross our fingers what's still standing doesn't come down. We've known since we moved here that it was a ticking time bomb.)

• Like 1

Yes, a legitimate company would do the work, which would be I'm guessing $500-1000.  Large trees are expensive to cut!  That is why my 'guilt' asks if the right thing to do would be to offer to pay half, even though the tree is mostly, if not all on our property.  Or just to let them do it since they offered...

2 minutes ago, Pawz4me said:

I think it would be nice to offer to pay half, but since it was their suggestion I certainly don't think you're obligated to.

(Our neighbor's huge Bradford pear has been laying on our storage building for three weeks today. It came partially down on a very windy day and I don't think they have the funds to finish it off. I suppose we'll get somebody to get it off our building and cross our fingers what's still standing doesn't come down. We've known since we moved here that it was a ticking time bomb.)

Bradford pears are jerks. We had a large one split in half on Monday. Blocked out driveway but didn't hit anything. (We have 3 in our front yard - this is our 2nd split.)

OP - I agree that you're under no obligation, but (if you have the money) it would be neighborly. We are fearful about a very large tree in our neighbor's yard. It's on the side of the house where my kids' rooms are, but we can't afford to have it removed. 

• Like 2

a lot depends upon your ability to pay, and how much it would cost to remove.  If it's on your property, and you can afford to pay half - I'd contribute.

we were in a similar situation - only the house that "owned" the tree clump, was a rental.  in addition to the horrendous mess it made on my property every year, it was rotting from the inside out and others like it have come down in major windstorms.  I had fears it would land on us at some point.  it was also expensive to remove (bids were $5Kish), definitely out of our reach for a tree removal.  fortunately - the owner sold and took the tree down.  (it took three days.)

are there plans for grinding the stump?  (we still have the clump of stumps on the edge of our property/mostly on theirs - and they still try to resprout.)

Agreeing with gardenmom5 that removing a large tree can cost thousands of dollars. We had a large oak that was 2K to remove, which was by far the lowest bid. Other bids were twice that.

Whatever you decide to do is up to you, but don't offer to split the bill without knowing what it costs!

Amy

• Like 3

If you want it down, I'd offer to pay half, but be aware that it'll be expensive. If you'd rather it stay up, but you're willing to let it be taken down, I'd tell them that because then that's essentially the favor. You're willing to keep the risk and the shade.

Our neighbors took down a bunch of trees. Thank goodness. Have I mentioned my yard is the size of a large living room? Having that many trees in that space was bonkers. And they were all walnut trees. So messy.

Since Bradford pears came up... If it's a Bradford pear, you should definitely have it taken down. And then spit on the stump with great malice.

• Like 2

We have a similar tree and situation.  

If the tree really is a danger, then I'd offer to pay half.  If it doesn't appear to be a danger at all, then I'd probably just give them permission to take it down.

Another thought:  Would they be comfortable in simply removing some of its larger branches?

• Like 1

Just be sure to connect a firm dollar amount with any agreement you make. Las week, we had a $5k bid on taking down a big (huge) tree in our back yard. We decided that even though it's clearly ill . . . and might fall or split . . . Since there is little/no danger of it hitting any house/valuable out building (or vehicles), we are going to let nature take its course. 

Just a warning that tree removal can be $$$, in case your willingness to share costs might be impacted if the bid comes in a lot higher than you anticipate. 

Have the tree checked. If it is found to be sound, I would not offer to pay a cent. Allowing them to cut your tree is already very gracious. Cutting a perfectly healthy tree is sacrilege.

If the tree is found by experts to be damaged and a hazard, then I would pay. 

• Like 1

If the tree is healthy and you have no reason to move it for yourselves, then It's reasonable to let them pay for it.  If safety is not an issue, then you really have no obligation to pay half for your neighbor's peace of mind.  In fact, it's nice if you let them do it because it's your tree and maybe you like it there.  It sounds like letting her cut it down and pay for it is a win all around.  Maybe you can just pay for the stump grinding if you don't want a stump there because that's often an extra optional fee.  I'm saying this as someone who has paid to remove trees for my own peace of mind.  A few have fallen.  One crushed my house years ago.  I just didn't relax in high wind until I had removed more trees. (We have a LOT of trees right near the houses.) It is very expensive.

I wouldn’t pay if they are the only ones who want the tree down.  If you want more control of who does it pay a portion........tree removal is really expensive.  We have been hugely bothered by neighbor’s trees a couple of times and would have been thrilled to pay for tree removal.  We offered......we did have all the branches over our property line cut (legal) as the tree(s) were ruining our roof......yes has happened twice.  

On 5/18/2019 at 6:43 AM, regentrude said:

Have the tree checked. If it is found to be sound, I would not offer to pay a cent. Allowing them to cut your tree is already very gracious. Cutting a perfectly healthy tree is sacrilege.

If the tree is found by experts to be damaged and a hazard, then I would pay. 

All feedback I have received on this topic has been worth considering, I appreciate your advice!

Yes, we did have the tree checked a few years ago, and it was determined to be sound...

At the same time, we had lower branches trimmed, so nothing is touching their house...

So, yes, I see what you mean about removing a perfectly good tree, no one likes to have to do that.

This helped to clarify for me, thanks, Hive!  

• Like 1

On 5/17/2019 at 1:16 PM, ***** said:

Yes, a legitimate company would do the work, which would be I'm guessing $500-1000.

A friend wanted a tree in his front yard cut down as neighborhood kids climb the tree as and when they want to and won’t go home and he is scared they might hurt themselves. He was quoted a minimum of $4k.

“Fees
Tree removal fees include permit application review, electronic exemption, public noticing, and General Plan update fees. Additional fees may apply based on number of public notices sent out. The City may adjust fees at anytime. For more details see the Planning Fee Schedule.

Fees for Unsuitable or Dead Tree Removal Permits
$226 for one tree plus $32 for each additional tree to be removed.

Fees for Live Tree Removal Permits
$2,095 - Single family and duplex properties 
$2,419 - All other types of properties”

• Sad 1

For me, it would depend partly on whether I had more means than they had.

I don't think you would be wrong to let the neighbor pay.  After all, you are giving up your tree.  That would be a hard thing for me to do if there was nothing wrong with the tree.

56 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

A friend wanted a tree in his front yard cut down as neighborhood kids climb the tree as and when they want to and won’t go home and he is scared they might hurt themselves. He was quoted a minimum of $4k.

“Fees
Tree removal fees include permit application review, electronic exemption, public noticing, and General Plan update fees. Additional fees may apply based on number of public notices sent out. The City may adjust fees at anytime. For more details see the Planning Fee Schedule.

Fees for Unsuitable or Dead Tree Removal Permits
$226 for one tree plus $32 for each additional tree to be removed.

Fees for Live Tree Removal Permits
$2,095 - Single family and duplex properties 
$2,419 - All other types of properties”

That seems kinda crazy to me.

I can't imagine having to pay a permit fee to remove a tree--live or dead--on ones own property.

Just for comparison, last year we paid $2200 for tree work. That was for a large Bradford pear, a large maple and a black gum that the tree guy said was one of the tallest he'd ever seen. It also included grinding the stumps of the pear and the maple. The work was done by a reputable company, not some fly-by-night yahoo with a chainsaw.

(ETA: They did give us a small break on pricing--I think it was a couple of hundred dollars--because our neighbor wanted the chips to use for mulch, and my brother wanted a lot of the gum tree for firewood. So they didn't have to haul all of it away.)

Edited by Pawz4me