Menu
Jump to content

What's with the ads?

Spudater

Kolbe History and Lit Study guides

Recommended Posts

Could anyone tell me what the Kolbe history and lit study guides for individual books contain?  There are no samples for them online that I can find. The course plan samples really appeal to me. Also, if you bought the optional conference CDs, did you like them?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Did you look here for samples?  I am not sure what you mean by "study guides for individual books."  I thought that the lesson plans contain all that you need.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, pmeilaen said:

Did you look here for samples?  I am not sure what you mean by "study guides for individual books."  I thought that the lesson plans contain all that you need.  

What you linked to leads to samples for the course plans which are for the teacher. There are separate study guides for each individual book that are for the student and also have a teacher’s answer key:

https://books.kolbe.org/store/p/364-KOLBE-CLASSICAL-LITERARY-CRITICISM-STUDY-GUIDE.html

I can’t find any samples for those and I’m wondering if they have useful information or if they’re just comprehension questions. I’m sure you get both if you enroll but I don’t think I want to enroll because I would tweak so much that I don’t think it would be worth it and I don’t need the outside diploma. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I used their Lit one year. We really enjoyed that year. As you said, we didn’t use everything exactly as they said, and I added and subtracted books and parts of books. But it was helpful for paper topics and pacing, and for weeks when I was busier. I only purchased a couple of the Lit guides where I felt comprehension questions would actually be helpful. For that year it was Dante and one or two of the Shakespeare plays. I can’t really remember too much about them, but I thought they were pretty good. Not all in depth (the guide questions for discussions and essay had stronger questions), but did involve some inference and some why questions. I wouldn’t have wanted them for every book. 

We used the conference talks; they were scheduled as an intro to the year, and for that they were okay. I probably enjoyed the more than my student. For that year they are pretty old and the audio quality is not great. And of course they reflect a Catholic religious perspective, if that isn’t clear to anyone reading.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, Penelope said:

I used their Lit one year. We really enjoyed that year. As you said, we didn’t use everything exactly as they said, and I added and subtracted books and parts of books. But it was helpful for paper topics and pacing, and for weeks when I was busier. I only purchased a couple of the Lit guides where I felt comprehension questions would actually be helpful. For that year it was Dante and one or two of the Shakespeare plays. I can’t really remember too much about them, but I thought they were pretty good. Not all in depth (the guide questions for discussions and essay had stronger questions), but did involve some inference and some why questions. I wouldn’t have wanted them for every book. 

We used the conference talks; they were scheduled as an intro to the year, and for that they were okay. I probably enjoyed the more than my student. For that year they are pretty old and the audio quality is not great. And of course they reflect a Catholic religious perspective, if that isn’t clear to anyone reading.

Thank you!  Yes, I’ve been waffling on whether the conference talks would be worth the price. The Catholic perspective is a draw for me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Spudater said:

What you linked to leads to samples for the course plans which are for the teacher. There are separate study guides for each individual book that are for the student and also have a teacher’s answer key:

https://books.kolbe.org/store/p/364-KOLBE-CLASSICAL-LITERARY-CRITICISM-STUDY-GUIDE.html

I can’t find any samples for those and I’m wondering if they have useful information or if they’re just comprehension questions. I’m sure you get both if you enroll but I don’t think I want to enroll because I would tweak so much that I don’t think it would be worth it and I don’t need the outside diploma. 

 

Thanks!  Now I can see what you mean.  We have those guides with questions and answers for the Catechism.  We were enrolled for one year, but we also did not want to use all the materials and so ended up not re-enrolling.  But that was in grade 5, I believe.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...