Menu

America the Beautiful - National Parks Pass

Forgive me if this has already been mentioned: nothing popped up in my search, but I'm not confident in the search function. 🙂

Some folks on the Barton fb group were talking about how they got this pass for their kids based on a dyslexia dx:

https://store.usgs.gov/access-pass?fbclid=IwAR26l4JV0DA73hYx4P8_dcPws9Ccrr0OoWEaQumJri29d3CFzDp1JUdNhg4

Seems pretty cool to me, but I'm wondering what you'd actually include in a disability letter for dyslexia. I'm all about taking advantage of things like this that we can access, and I'd really love to get my kids passes, but I guess I worry they might roll their eyes at me if I do apply with "only" dyslexia as my kids' disability. I've read that the disability statement must include: that the individual has a PERMANENT disability, that it limits one or more aspects of their daily life, and the nature of those limitations.

I guess I'm asking if you have any sample disability statements or if you have any ideas on how to actually word this? Our physician will sign off on it, I'm confident, but I'm just not sure what to put down.

Also, for something like this, does autism count as a disability? How would one write a letter including that? (It'd be nice if I could just get passes for all my kids at once! lol.)

I would use the autism. It says on your link that you provide documentation of your disability, which would be your psych eval, an IEP, etc. It's nice that people are getting it under dyslexia, but SLD Reading (the larger, current diagnosis) is not necessarily a permanent disability. Psychs will put it, remove it. 

Can you apply in person? It sounds like there's no cost if you request the pass in person *and* I would think that would mean you just show your documentation rather than giving them a copy. So you'd walk in with documentation for each of your people (including your dh or is it only kids? I think him too) and come out with the passes. Would save you $50 too.

It says medically determined. Are they wanting documentation from a medical doctor or will a psych do? If MD, then you could just get your ped to write a level after your next well child visit. Or if you want to submit online, that's probably what I'd do, just because that seems kinda sticky submitting a psych eval online.

Edited by PeterPan
  • Like 2

56 minutes ago, Acorn said:

If you have a 4th grader, they can get a pass for a year that includes whole family.

I actually have a question about this - the website says 4th grader or "home school equivalent" and says that it is good for the whole 4th grade, September - the following summer. Would a rising 4th grader who schools year round (and therefore begins 4th grade in June) "count" for the summer PRIOR to 4th grade, or is he not allowed until September? I wonder.

12 minutes ago, Lucy the Valiant said:

I actually have a question about this - the website says 4th grader or "home school equivalent" and says that it is good for the whole 4th grade, September - the following summer. Would a rising 4th grader who schools year round (and therefore begins 4th grade in June) "count" for the summer PRIOR to 4th grade, or is he not allowed until September? I wonder.

We signed up online and printed pass. It seems to be honor system. I do know my 4th graders had to present the pass and talk to the ranger. We had to wake my dd for one park and she wasn’t eloquent or friendly by being asked her age and where we were from, etc.

So how the 4th grade pass works is your child fills out a paper online and print it. You present it at the front gate of the national park you are visiting. They talk to your child and have this fun interaction with them about their age and how cool it is that they are"taking their family" to the national park. Then they give you a 4th grade national park pass card . You can go in and out of any parks with that card but your child has to be with you. This was a challenge when we stayed at a campground inside the park and went out for groceries. The kiddos were with Grandma but we had to take my son with us to get back in. Also it goes from August to August so if your child is around that age it would be fine. 

The disability pass sounds like something you could qualify for. I would ask the Barton parents how they got it and what documentation you need. 

• Like 1

I got this pass for my older two kids about five years ago using Autism as their disability.  I took the evals for each from the neuro-pysch, which was printed on her letter head and had her signature and which named their disability.  I think you also need to bring their birth certificates, and the child(ren) are supposed to be with you if you go in person.  I went to our local forest service office, and they issued the passes on the spot.  The passes were free when I got them in person.  (There is a processing fee if you mail it in.)

I would use autism over dyslexia because it more clearly fits this definition:

The Access Pass may be issued to U.S. citizens or permanent residents of any age that have been medically determined to have a permanent disability (does not have to be a 100% disability) that severely limits one or more major life activities.

A permanent disability is a permanent physical, mental, or sensory impairment that substantially limits one or more major life activities, such as caring for oneself, performing manual tasks, walking, seeing, hearing, speaking, breathing, learning, and working.

The instructions for what counts as documentation are here.  Specifically, 

You must also provide documentation that you have a permanent disability, which could include:

• A statement signed by a licensed physician attesting that you have a permanent physical, mental, or sensory impairment that substantially limits one or more major life activities, and stating the nature of the impairment;

OR

• A document issued by a Federal agency, such as the U.S. Department of Veterans Administration, which attests that you have been medically determined to be eligible to receive Federal benefits as a result of blindness or permanent disability. Other acceptable Federal agency documents include proof of receipt of Social Security Disability Income (SSDI) or Supplemental Security Income (SSI);

OR

• A document issued by a State agency such as a vocational rehabilitation agency, which attests that you have been medically determined to be eligible to receive vocational rehabilitation agency benefits or services as a result of medically determined blindness or permanent disability. Showing a State motor vehicle department disability sticker, license plate or hang tag is not acceptable documentation.

• Like 1