Menu

WPPSI Scores - big gaps. Need Help Interpret!

Ivy

My daughter is 6 years old and her WPPSI-IV scores came back all over the map. We evaluated her because of ADHD tendencies.  We are not sure how to best help her!

Verbal comprehension (VCI),  137 / 99%

Visual Spatial (VSI), 132 / 98%

Fluid Reasoning (FRI), 100 / 50%

Working Memory (WMI), 90 / 25%

Processing Speed (PSI), 94 / 34%

GAI, 132 / 98%

FSIQ, 121 / 92%

You might want to post on the learning challenges board. You will be more likely to get a reply and your post won’t get pushed down so quickly. 

I cant help but I can sympathize! My dd19 has scores all over.  They used her Wais and some other testing and a questionnaire to diagnose ADHD. She had a forty point gap between working memory and Verbal.  But her other scores were closer together. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Tanaqui said:

Welp, I can't be more specific than "She's definitely got something" but those sort of out of sync do tend to suggest that. Good for you, getting her evaluated so early, without any delay!

It's a minefield and so confusing.  We just know there is something, but don't know what it is.

They're not really all over the place. The verbal and visual spatial together form that "she's gifted" conclusion, which is what you see in the GAI. The GAI drops the processing speed and areas affected by disability, so that's why the full scale score is somewhat lower. 

She will probably use accommodations for her processing speed and require supports, but she's exceptionally bright and will do quite well with enough supports, time to rest, etc. 

• Like 1

I have a child who presented somewhat like this, although her working memory is lower and her fluid reasoning higher, but she never took the WPPSI.  She has other issues (very high functioning ASD, anxiety) but educationally, it was obvious there were issues by four.  She still is basically a puzzle and frankly, the diagnosis that makes most sense is "complex learning disabilities."  Memory is definitely her biggest issue.  She's 14 now and she's doing fine.  Her spelling is pretty terrible, but spellcheck can catch most of her errors.  Math is a bit shaky.  She's very very smart but may not get a four year college degree; she certainly won't be eligible for the scholarships her sister likely will qualify for.  She has read well since about age 8, but she benefitted greatly from Wilson (an Orton Gillingham program for dyslexia).  She's making mostly B's in honors classes in public school presently.  She has good executive functioning, but her memory is a weird mixture of extremely good for certain things (narratives, facts on high interest topics) and extremely bad for other things (disjointed, decontextualized information she has little interest in - she still isn't solid on when her own birthday is).