Menu

Dairy Free alternative to freezer pizza night?

My son totally breaks out whenever he eats dairy.  He is also allergic to peanuts and gluten so he's not on a 100% dairy free diet, but we are trying to avoid it.  

One thing we really look forward to as a family is family freezer pizza night.  The guys usually share a Gluten free and the girls share a regular.  It costs about 20.00 which is 1/3 of what it would cost for takeout, so it's a win financially and I appreciate having the day off of cooking.

So I need something that I can buy ahead, and take almost zero prep, and doesn't require:

Cheese, peanuts, gluten, preservatives

and that veggies can be on the side because my husband has IBS

I thought of loaded baked potatoes but they're gross and dry without sour cream or greek yogurt...

help 🙂

(also we tried Dairy Free cheeses of various kinds and they are vomit worthy to our palette...)

Edited by Calming Tea

My dd has had issues with dairy, but tolerates goat dairy without any problem. I buy her mozzarella cheese made with goat’s milk at the HFS and make pizza with a store bought pizza crust or bagel. My dh and dd enjoy Trader Joe’s orange chicken. It is $5 a bag and feeds them both. Sometimes I make that for them with some rice and then put in a gf pizza for my ds.

I have an old Daiya pizza in my freezer that I need to toss because no one is ever going to eat it.

Dairy is the hardest thing to avoid, imo.

Edited by Mom0012
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We do frozen junk food night every Friday.  DH has Celiac, and usually has frozen taquitos (we use Delimex brand) and tater tots or fries (Ore-Ida are GF).  Those specific brands aren't going to be no-preservative, but I'm sure there are healthier options out there.  What about GF breadsticks (basically a sliced up GF pizza crust) with garlic "butter" and pizza sauce for dipping?  I usually chop up whatever veggies are remaining in the fridge and serve them raw or roasted on the side (I'm the one with IBS here, but I don't eat dinner at all).  Sometimes I can find the bags of cauliflower/carrot "fries" really cheap at Target, and those are usually GF/DF, I think.

• Thanks 1

I forgot about goat's milk.  Ds had a true cow's milk allergy as a young child but had no issues ever with goat's milk...I bet it wouldn't make him break out at all!

Also, I love the GF breadsticks with garlic "butter" and dipping sauce idea...

My family all seem to be able to tolerate Ore Ida tater tots, I could do "burger and tater tots" night...

Great ideas everyone!

Also, I will look for that amy's pizza...if it has no cheese it might work.

Another very simple meal that I make that everyone enjoys is boneless country style ribs. They go on sale often.  I cook them in the oven covered with foil at 325. Then I uncover and squirt on a bunch of gf bbq and cook for another 20 minutes. You could serve with rice or tater tots.

Oh, and Perdue makes gf chicken tenders that my ds really likes. I get the regular Perdue tenders for my dd and the gf ones for my ds.  Sometimes I will make chicken tenders with tater tots or fries for a quick meal. You can buy Chick-fil-A sauce by the tub for a couple of dollars and, if I have that, my kids are pretty excited about it.

We've done pizzas where we buy a ready made pizza crust (or even flat bread), and spread refried black beans on top of it (you can get that in a can), then canned pizza  sauce, then whatever other toppings.  Something about the refried black beans kind of fills the cheese/protein craving.  It's not the same, of course, but it seemed to be a good substitute for us.

ETA:  It does require some prep obviously, but not much at all.  And we'd still have regular frozen pizza for everyone else.  This was more a personal pizza for the person who couldn't eat dairy.  Also, I think we were able to get a GF ready-made pizza crust.

Edited by J-rap
  • Like 1

So the trick with vegan cheese is to bake it long enough that it's not only completely melted but it also puffs up.  Then it is more similar to regular cheese.  I know this because one of mine is allergic to dairy too and we put some on a gluten free pizza crust last week.  I thought the Aldi vegan cheese was magically better than the stuff from the health food store.  Then I made something else with it that wasn't baked as long and just about threw up.  It tasted like greasy saw dust.

You can also DIY a vegan cheese that tastes a bit more like goat cheese.  You soak cashews over night and blend them with salt, lemon juice, nutritional yeast, and anything else that might give it a tangy/unami type of flavor.  I've seen tomatoes, mushrooms, rice vinegar, etc.  It doesn't melt but it does have that soft tangy cheese type flavor.

My DH usually says to just skip the cheese entirely.

• Like 1

Many margarines do have some dairy in them, so be sure to get a vegan one if you go that route.

However, since your thing is "pizza night" I'd go with the pizza dough and then just make a cheeseless pizza. Sauce, toppings, no cheese - it tastes pretty good that way, actually!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, HomeAgain said:

What about chili dogs or frito boats?  I'm not sure what's in canned chili, but corn chips would be gluten free, yeah?  and I put chopped onions, jalepenos, and chopped avocado on the side so everyone can add what they want to the top.

I love chili! But my dh usually can't eat that sort of thing with IBS 🙂 he just eats cereal when I make chili, but I don't want to do that on our two family dinner nights where he looks forward to eating with us. Normally, he can't sleep with his IBS symtoms so during the week he eats dinner (whether something I make or cereal) by 4:00 so that just in case he has an issue, it's done with by bedtime.

Gee it's complicated around here! 

We hated tofutti sour cream, but my meat-eaters liked the Daiya pepperoni pizza and didn't realize it was vegan (as well as gf). If your people don't like Daiya cheeses, see if Miyoko's is available near you--it's good--and put it on a frozen crust with jarred sauce.

We've also bought some potstickers and egg rolls that were gf and vegan in the Whole Foods freezer section.

Edited by whitehawk