Menu

How many chapters of TT Pre-Calc do I need to add to TT Alg 2 to make it a complete Alg 2?

I asked this   TT even offered the lessons to us free.  But, as I recall, they were not like the 1st few chapters.  They were mid book after other concepts had been introduced.  So, we could not use them because he did not understand the terminology and the review problems in the lessons.

1 hour ago, rjand6more said:

I asked this   TT even offered the lessons to us free.  But, as I recall, they were not like the 1st few chapters.  They were mid book after other concepts had been introduced.  So, we could not use them because he did not understand the terminology and the review problems in the lessons.

I wonder if it was the chapters on trigonometry? It seems like trig is now often included in algebra 2 but I don’t see any in TT alg 2.  If so, Khan Academy has lessons on trigonometry if you wanted to cover that material.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mom0012 said:

I wonder if it was the chapters on trigonometry? It seems like trig is now often included in algebra 2 but I don’t see any in TT alg 2.  If so, Khan Academy has lessons on trigonometry if you wanted to cover that material.

I don't remember.  It was a LONG time ago!  We ended up supplementing with Lial's to finish out Alg 2.

Khan is a great option.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, rjand6more said:

I don't remember.  It was a LONG time ago!  We ended up supplementing with Lial's to finish out Alg 2.

Khan is a great option.

Lial’s is what I used with my ds for algebra 2 and I was very happy with it, but it doesn’t have any trig in it either.  🙂 That was fine for us, though. He covered trig in precalculus.

Sorry, OP. Hopefully, someone else has the answer.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MamaSprout said:

Are you using TT for Precalculus? Chapters 4 and 5 stand out to me as topics we're doing in Algebra 2 this year. Chapters 1-3 are often in both Algebra 2 and Precalc.

The Chapter 4 stuff is in TT Algebra 2, at least to some degree, but I'm not sure about 5.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Roadrunner said:

Why should trig be included in Algebra 2? That’s usually covered in precalculus. 

My kids covered a decent amount of trig in Holt Algebra 2, I don't know how common that is. 

OP, you could also do something like ALEKS online, $20/month. It will start you with the course assessment and then have you cover only what you haven't mastered yet. It can be a quicker way to assess and fill holes than going through another text would be. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, katilac said:

My kids covered a decent amount of trig in Holt Algebra 2, I don't know how common that is. 

OP, you could also do something like ALEKS online, $20/month. It will start you with the course assessment and then have you cover only what you haven't mastered yet. It can be a quicker way to assess and fill holes than going through another text would be. 

We are AOPS family and the only trig we covered before precalculus was one chapter in geometry.

• Like 2

IMO, there are a few topics in Alg 2 that are also covered in PreCalc. It makes sense to do an introduction in Alg 2, review, and go deeper in PreCalc. (For the record, DD covered trig (as in sohcahtoa) for the first time in Alg 1. She saw it again in geometry, then covered it deeper in Alg 2 (unit circle, graphing of functions) and used it in PreCalc.) 

As for TT, I've always seen that to be sure you cover Alg 2 content to do pretty much all of TT PreCalc. However, I've never used it myself so I don't know how accurate that is, especially if they have newer editions of Alg 2 than what my IRL friends used many years ago.

• Like 1

Trig isn't on our state's standards for Algebra 2 at all. I think it was bumped in favor of statistics.

There isn't a standard scope and sequence for Algebra 2 to Precalculus. We're using Derek Owens next year and there are some topics in his Algebra 2 that weren't in the the Algebra 2 we just finished. I had dd take his Algebra 2 midterm, do the 2-3 topics she didn't know for the first semester, and now is working through a couple of chapters in the second semester.

I second the ALEKS suggestion if your Dd doesn't mind the format. I think it's probably the closest thing to "standard". I too have heard of families using TT through Precalculus and then going into another Precalculus (or College Algebra) course.