Menu

Do you enjoy flying?

gingersmom

I'm flying cross country today. I hate flying. I'm excited because I'm going to my daughters college graduation. I just dread getting there.

I read this last night-

https://www.deseretnews.com/article/900070685/southwest-airlines-passenger-vodka-joke.html

Several times a year now you hear about people getting kicked off flights for the most ridiculous of reasons (even parents with children). I think its just adding to my anxiety. I'm afraid to request a diet soda for fear I may offend the flight attendantÂ đŸ˜‰

Several years ago I was flying with my kids and had my new ipad with me. Flight attendant barked at me that I needed to put it in airplane mode. I turned to my daughter and asked her to do it for me. The flight attendant looked like she was going to blow a gasket. My daughter grabbed the Ipad and hurriedly did it. It was so uncalled for but thankfully I kept quiet.

I probably took my first flight around 1969/1970. I miss those days. People actually got dressed up to fly! I even miss those foil covered meals they gave you ( I never ate them but I liked the tv dinner aspect about them)

Tell me I'm not alone. 

• Like 3

I don't like flying, but I am usually flying for some fun reason, so the thought of flying does give me a good vibe.

The past few years, with my tailbone problems, I dread it much more than I used to.  That and the reduction of personal space on most planes.

I've never had any negative interactions with a flight attendant, other than maybe a bit of culture clash / rudeness / misunderstanding.  I wouldn't worry about that.  I think that while some of those stories are true, they are rare and sometimes embellished / important details left out.  For example "my kid got kicked off for acting autistic" and when you dig in, it was because there was no way anyone could get him into his seatbelt for takeoff.

• Like 1

Like SKL, when I’m flying it’s usually for pleasure so I’m ok with it. 

Being an introvert helps. I have my earbuds, my nose in a book, a snack and something to sip on. I’m in my own world for a couple of hours.  It helps that I get to the airport super early, usually get TSA precheck, and bring my own snacks and fill my water bottle once past security.  Having that routine and level of control helps when things go wrong like when the line is long or the agent dumps my stuff out.  I’ve also been known to bring a mask when I travel during flu season and that seals the deal on people wanting to talk to me.g

• Like 1

It wears me out.  There’s an odd mixture of adrenaline and complete boredom.  Adrenaline in making sure we get out of the house in time and hope we don’t run into traffic on the way to the airport.  Adrenaline when trying to figure out where to park and navigate through the (always confusing) airport parking lots.

Boredom standing in lines. 

Adrenaline when it’s time to dash through security.  Everything is so slooow and then it’s your turn to dump everything in those plastic bins , like all the toiletries you had to put into small bottles and all the pills you had to take in their original bottles, and take off your belt and take off your shoes and if you have kids they suddenly can’t figure out how to take off a belt or a shoe and you have to help them through it, and even though you told them 500 times to put something in a bin, they end up leaving it in a pocket and beeping through security.  

Adrenaline when you make sure you know exactly where your gate is.

Then boredom waiting.  Maybe wandering around finding some food to eat before the flight.

Then adrenaline when the gate where you were supposed to board gets moved and there was no announcement that you heard because you were getting food but you happened to look at the screen when you got back and saw your gate was moved!  

Boredom.

Adrenaline when you can board on SouthWest and you need to try to find a seat where at least a couple of you can sit together in a row, since the seating is first come first served.  

Waiting....Adrenaline during takeoff where you remember all the news reports you’ve ever seen of planes crashing during takeoff. 

Boredom during the flight.  Wondering just how awful it would be to fall out of the sky—like a never ending roller coaster ride down and how uncomfortable the Gs would be as you accelerate toward the earth.  Thinking about how this could be the last time you sit next to your child before the end.  These could be your last breaths, your last sights, your last bag of pretzels.  Praying.

Adrenaline when you land because everyone says the most dangerous part of flying is the landing.

Adrenaline to figure out where to go now—baggage claim, car rental....Boredom and adrenaline during the long car ride to where you’re going in an unfamiliar car.  (We always end up with long car rides when we go places.)

I don’t like any of it, really.  I put on a happy face because I’m always with the kids when we travel and don’t want to bring them down because they’re usually pretty excited to be traveling, but I hate the hassle.  If I went alone, it might be easier, but herding extra people along everywhere we go is always stressful to me.  

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Selkie said:

I don’t like it. I can’t stand being crammed in with other people - and their germs!

Yeah, we're getting a whole extra week of "vacation" due to picking up that late-season flu virus, likely from the airport or flight home.

That being said, I prefer getting home in a few hours as opposed to multiple days stuck in the car.  It would have been so much worse to have sick kids and 12+ hours of driving still ahead of us.

most people who get "kicked off", brought it upon themselves.

I've never had an issue - even the time I left my hydroflask water bottle on a table at the gate.  I would have gone back to get it - but once you're on a plane, you can't get off until the crew says you can.  the F/A got a gate agent to fetch it and brought it to me.

and it really depends upon the airline...

I like Alaska and usually fly with them, I like jetblue (haven't flown them in years because I'm not going to NYC).  just flew united because Alaska doesn't fly out of Charleston on staurdays...smh..  I will change my flight plans or pay more rather than fly united.  seats were cramped, service was mediocre.   

• Like 1

I hate flying. Nothing makes you feel more insignificant than being herded like cattle and crammed like sardines. Plus the anxiety of missing connections, and the unpleasant experience at immigrations. Unfortunately, it's the only way for me to get to see my family; 24 hour trip with three flights, the longest 9 hours. Hate, despise, abhor it. If there were a way to drive, I'd gladly spend several days in the car and have agency and space.

15 minutes ago, Laura Corin said:

I like flying on my own. It's a time when I have absolutely no responsibilities and no one can make demands on me. I find it peaceful.

oh, the actual flying part does not bother me as much. It's the madness surrounding it, and I cannot see anything peaceful in it: how long is the security line? Will I make my flight? Plane isn't here yet, will we leave on time? Oh no, flight is delayed - if it stays delayed by 60 minutes, I may just make my connection. Oh, flight is more delayed, will I make my connection? How far is it to the connecting gate? Is there a chance I can make it if I run or shall I just give up? Will I get the grumpy immigration officer? What's wrong with the paperwork of the person in front of me; why is this taking so long? Where is the damned luggage? Should I wait another half hour at the carousel or file the lost luggage report? 

Edited by regentrude

I used to love to fly.  Dh and I did many somewhat crazy trips back in the early 90’s for the air miles.  We had a lot of fun......I remember being booked on a cheap flight to Mexico with a tight connection which we missed.   Customer Service was waiting for us at the gate to pick where we wanted to go for the weekend........anyplace in the world, because that was the last flight to Mexico that day.  We picked a flight leaving in a half hour for San Fran..........

A couple of years ago a similar thing happened and a kiosk spit a ticket for the same flight in 3 days,  I would have returned home the next morning.  A 12 hour visit to my moms.  Getting anyone to help at the airport was impossible because no one cared.....hubby (at home) got someone to at least book a flight home for me that night.  I was on that flight in 3 days but I didn’t pay for the 3 nights in a really expensive airport hotel.......and I was rebooked for a later return date.  I did miss my mom’s surgery......

Now it’s just so stressful,  recently the signage at the airport was wrong due to construction projects and we got spit out onto the expressway into a traffic jam.  Getting to the airport is even hard.....we had stayed at an airport hotel for a stress free start to that trip.  Seriously less than a mile away.  

I like flying theoretically.   I was even on a flight that had enough problems to end up on the San Jose news.   The wheels just would not descend.  They'd given up and had the emergency stuff waiting for the plane to land on its belly.   Then the wheels dropped and all was fine.   The entire plane had been holding hands. 

I HATE flying now days.  It is the seats.   I'd be content to sleep in a coffin sized berth like on train 'beds' only more closely spaced.  But the seats are torture devices. 

My worst flight attendant experience was when my ears just didn't equalize.   I was in extreme pain.  I was in the very first row on the window seat.  I had my elbows on the tray.   The flight attendant got pissy because I didn't snap to when she told me to stow the tray.   I hadn't been able to hear her.  Someone behind me said, "She is in pain".   I put that down to the inherent problem with bureaucracy of concern of letter of the law over common sense.  

DD desperately wants to fly someplace.   I even looked into one of those super-cheap flights at the last minute for a super short trip just to give her the experience.  But, I decided we'd fly for our summer vacation.  I was looking into Spirit Airlines.  a work friend said. "But, then she won't want to fly anymore."   I said, "Bonus" 

23 minutes ago, regentrude said:

oh, the actual flying part does not bother me as much. It's the madness surrounding it, and I cannot see anything peaceful in it: how long is the security line? Will I make my flight? Plane isn't here yet, will we leave on time? Oh no, flight is delayed - if it stays delayed by 60 minutes, I may just make my connection. Oh, flight is more delayed, will I make my connection? How far is it to the connecting gate? Is there a chance I can make it if I run or shall I just give up? Will I get the grumpy immigration officer? What's wrong with the paperwork of the person in front of me; why is this taking so long? Where is the damned luggage? Should I wait another half hour at the carousel or file the lost luggage report? 

mil is on hospice, has congestive heart failure, and there's an expectation she will die this year (she'll be 94 next month).

when discussing transportation plans to the state where she will be buried - dh said he'd rather drive than fly - because a 12 hour drive vs a 2 1/2 hr flight - when you have to get to the airport two hours ahead, and it takes more time to collect your luggage, rent a car (I will NEVER rent from budget/Alamo again. NEVER.  twice! I've stood in line for an hour just to collect my car.  the other companies moved people through in five - ten minutes max.) before you can leave the airport - and pay considerably more for the privilege of saving not more than a few hours.  it depends how many are going.  I think it will be us only, and drag dudeling with us.

besides, part of me misses that drive, and I keep thinking of cabbage hill...

• Like 1

Well, SW stinks and I hope to never fly them again.

I had a situation where a group of 4 had the A boarding times, and they boarded and saved like 10 seats for their C boarding friends.  I asked to have one of the seats and the guy says, "Find another seat and get over it."   I did tell him that was not allowed and the attendant came and tried to help me find another seat, but didn't make them give up their saved seats.  That ticked me off.

Thankfully my son and I were taken off the flight because I had put in that we would give up our seat if they needed them and they had overbooked.  So, we got off that flight AND got a $1000 voucher, but I still dont' like them.

• Like 2

I need to fly in a few weeks across the country to see my parents and I am dreading it.

I haven't bought my ticket yet and I am wondering what will happen anyway, my father is in the hospital now and I may have to go before school gets out after all, so I am waiting to hear.

I don't love flying but I don't mind it. Almost always we are headed somewhere fun and flying is the only way to get there, so it seems a small price to pay. Mostly I find it boring--we usually take a bus to the airport (2 hours), then of course you have to get to the airport a couple hours early, so all the "pre-travel" can take nearly as long as the actual flight to Europe. But they show a movie on the bus and most of the planes we've been on recently have movies and tv shows so time goes quickly enough.

I prefer to take red eye flights so I can just fall asleep and wake when we get there. I don't have any problem sleeping on the plane, even during the day, and if we fly overnight it doesn't feel like I'm wasting time. Or if we are headed west, I like to get in late so we can just go to sleep after we land and hit the ground running in the morning. 

I don't think I've ever encountered a rude TSA , customs agent or flight attendant. 

We do carry on only (just a tote or backpack each) so there are never worries about luggage. It's such a simplifier. One time, 20+ years ago, a customs agent in Germany asked us suspiciously if we are really Americans--travelling without heaps of luggage. It was pretty funny. 

• Like 1

I don't mind it. I don't love it but it doesn't really bother me too much. The actual getting on the plane before taking off is the annoying part. Dealing with long security lines, delayed flights, last minute gate changes, and the oh-so-fun running through the airport to make your connection...those are the things that stress me out. 

Flying is a means to an end. I love to travel, particularly abroad. So flying is pretty much my only option unless I want to take a boat. Just flew home from Italy last week. Long day of flying but so worth it. 

Edited by tdbates78

I loved it when I was young now it scares me. Take off and landing are the scariest to me. Rationally I know how safe it is, and I will fly when going somewhere where driving isn't an option due to time restrictions or where we're going. It's one of those things I don't avoid but don't like doing. I'm always relieved when we land and it's over.

Edited by Lady Florida.
  • Like 1

It depends.

Quantas was bearable for business trips but I won’t pick that for personal trips.

Canadian Air was nice from SFO to Baltimore, from Toronto to SFO.

Japan Airlines is wonderful.

Cathay Airlines is okay for business and leisure. 

United Airlines is my husband’s pet hate.

Delta (Northwest) was okay for business trips because I had enough points to have access to the lounge and also priority boarding. I won’t use Delta for leisure. 

I do prefer my husband driving if less than 8hrs without stops, or longer with stops. I also rather take a cruise than fly. However, I like touring different airports and TSA doesn’t really bother me. I am small size and short so the airplane seat size is less of a bother for me. My husband and my DS14 felt a little cramped. DS13 tends to sleep on planes so it doesn’t affect him that much. 

I actually enjoy flying.  Part of it is because I don't have to do all of the driving.  As a single mom of 3 that will never drive, I drive all the time.

Once I am through security I am fine and breathe easy.  I always get picked for special screening or I leave food in my bag.....airport A says leave it in the bag but then I get stopped at airport B for special screening due to snacks in the bag.  

We have been flying allegiant most of the time.  I love that it is cheap.  The flights are direct to a place we love to go and the airports are both smaller so easy to navigate.   That said I HATE their seats.  They hurt my tailbone.  I just suffer for 3 hours and then enjoy the fact that I didn't have to drive with the kids for 2 days.

I love flying.  I love the thrill of taking off and landing and even the bouncy turbulence, along with the forced movie watching đŸ™‚Â and being served food at my seat.  And sometimes I'll order a glass of wine.  I can completely relax for a brief time, and absolutely nothing is my responsibility. 

• Like 3

When I was little I liked it. Now, I find it mildly terrifying. I refuse to not fly because I want to go the places that only flying will allow me to go. However, I hate it. I hate the takeoff and landing especially. And I loathe turbulence. I think that goes back to flying back from Asia. The turbulence is nearly always horrid because of the way the winds work. The flight takes significantly less time that going to Asia, but the turbulence is dreadful. In practical terms, it's mostly mind over matter. I treat myself to a magazine. I put on headphones. I read a book or watch a movie. I make it work.

• Like 1

I am not afraid of flying, but I HATE all the rigamaroll that goes with air travel. And I hate the invasion of personal space. 

• Like 2

I'm not a huge fan of flying and my DH is an airline pilot. LOL!

I'll do it to get to fun destinations, but I don't particularly look forward to it.

Thankfully my kids LOVE it so I don't have to worry about them. Also, of course, my DH LOVES flying too.Â đŸ˜‚Â I'm the only scaredy cat in our family.

I hate flying so much.  Yes, I know that it is way safer than driving, blah blah blah, but it still terrifies me.  And don't get me started about turbulence.

My younger two find flying very exciting, but DH gets headaches and DS14 gets both headaches and motion sickness.  

I don't hate flying but I haven't had much luck with it.  The last few times their were so many delays and problems (not weather) it didn't even save very much time over driving.  I also really love road trips so I will usually choose to drive.  We are driving from Washington to Indiana this summer for vacation.  

I hate flying so much. Every part of it feels degrading now. It's also stressful to bring kiddo with me.  I won't fly Southwest anymore because I hate their family boarding policy and unless I pay extra, I can't guarantee kiddo will sit with me.  It's not as big a deal now that he's almost 11, but when he was 7? Yeah, that really bothered me.  I'm not letting my 7 year old sit next to some random person getting drunk on the plane for 3 hours. 

But I also just hate flying as a concept.  The turbulence freaks me out. Take off and landing freak me out.  

I've always wanted to take Amtrak to visit my dad, but the cost difference between flight and train has been significant. đŸ˜•Â 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, sassenach said:

Sometimes I love it, sometimes it's a neccesary evil. Just depends on who I get sat next to. Flying by myself is my favorite because I always choose a window seat and treat myself to candy, magazines and a new book. 

Yes, flying by myself is a lovely experience.  Ok, I have only done it twice but it was so relaxing.

Even flying with my kids isn't bad ONCE we get through security.  They all have special needs and the girls are very fearful of security.   Once we're through that though and they can go buy the $4 bottle of pop we are golden. 

10 hours ago, J-rap said:

I love flying.  I love the thrill of taking off and landing and even the bouncy turbulence, along with the forced movie watching đŸ™‚Â and being served food at my seat.  And sometimes I'll order a glass of wine.  I can completely relax for a brief time, and absolutely nothing is my responsibility. 

I thought I was the only one who actually enjoys turbulence! For some reason it lulls me to sleep đŸ™‚Â On our long flight from Venice (Italy) to PHL last week I had 9 hours to do nothing and it was fairly relaxing as the flight was less than half full. I watched a few movies, read from my book and took a nap and my kids did the same. Had a glass of wine and lunch and a snack served to me...it felt like a quasi spa day! 

• Like 3

21 hours ago, happysmileylady said:

When I was a kid, I loved flying.  So fun and exciting.

Gradually as I got older, it freaked me out more and more.  I am an incredibly anxious flyer.  It's not the stuff surrounding the flights that stresses me out.  Crowded airports, delayed flights, snarky passengers, none of that stuff bothers me.  Having to wait in million mile long lines for TSA is annoying, but I don't stress over it.

Take off and landing scare the stuffing out of me, and if there's much turbulence or anything, especially during take off, it's incredibly difficult for my to wrestle control of my completely unreasonable fears.  Two years ago I few to Colorado for my sister's baby shower.  The flight out was ok, but man, the flight home probably scared me for life.  Take off was SO shaky, and it seemed to take a long time to straighten out.  I was not the only one in silent freak out mode.  And then of course my brother....who has his own pilots license (not commercial) and works at an airport in scheduling/flight management, after my mom told him about the flight home, says "yeah, pilot was probably drunk."  GAH!!!!!  Not what I needed to hear! lol.

I am a fan of Xanex before a flight....I just have to be sure I don't need to drive after we land lol.  

Yes this!  Flight safety doesn’t stress me out much but all the logistics do

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tdbates78 said:

I thought I was the only one who actually enjoys turbulence! For some reason it lulls me to sleep đŸ™‚Â On our long flight from Venice (Italy) to PHL last week I had 9 hours to do nothing and it was fairly relaxing as the flight was less than half full. I watched a few movies, read from my book and took a nap and my kids did the same. Had a glass of wine and lunch and a snack served to me...it felt like a quasi spa day! 

That is so funny!  But, yes, that kind of sums it up for me too. Â đŸ™‚Â  And those international flights especially ~  when they work so hard to keep you occupied that they feed you every other hour, give you warm wash cloths, blankets and other goodies... haha    I can't remember the last time I was on a flight that's less than half full though!

• Like 1

I haven’t flown since just after dd was born around 10 years ago.  I mentioned this to dh the other day in a random conversation and he was super surprised.  He travels all the time for work.  I don’t think he really realises how different life can become as a stay home/homeschooling mum.  We’ve had a tonne of road trips and day trips and adventures of course but flying with all of us is just not in the budget.  And me leaving the kids with dh for more than a few hours is just not going to happen either at this point in time.  If ever.

Like others, I hate the stress around it - getting to the airport on time, getting through security.  When I think back to when I flew about once a month for work, it's hard to imagine. But I was single and had a car to pick me up, and in those days security wasn't the ordeal it is now.  Seats were also not as tight I don't think.

My last flight I got TSA precheck so that made it easier.  I was also flying alone so I was able to get to the airport way early - if I fly with my husband there's always a debate over when to leave; he doesn't like to leave as early as I do.  

I'm OK once I'm on the plane, as long as my seatmates leave me alone and aren't rude. I have reading material, earbuds for watching a movie if available, or listening to my own music/audiobook.  My last trip, all went well till the last leg of flying home; the women I was stuck between were very sprawly, taking over the armrests, not being careful to keep their legs out of my space.  Once we were seated I could barely move to get things out of my small bag under the seat.  Also it was a red-eye and I could not sleep for being so crammed in.  But the other 3/4 of the flights were better.  And I keep my flying expectations low; I plan on it being uncomfortable.

12 hours ago, Farrar said:

When I was little I liked it. Now, I find it mildly terrifying. I refuse to not fly because I want to go the places that only flying will allow me to go. However, I hate it. I hate the takeoff and landing especially. And I loathe turbulence.

Everything you said except for the parts about Asia (I've never been there) fits how I feel about flying.

It's interesting that many of you who hate it aren't afraid of flying - you just hate the crowded plane, the hassle of airports, etc. None of that bothers me. It's the actual flying and a (mostly) irrational fear of crashing that makes me hate it.

Edited by Lady Florida.
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Lady Florida. said:

Everything you said except for the parts about Asia (I've never been there) fits how I feel about flying.

It's interesting that many of you who hate it aren't afraid of flying - you just hate the crowded plane, the hassle of airports, etc. None of that bothers me. It's the actual flying and a (mostly) irrational fear of crashing that makes me hate it.

Same. Those things are just mild hassles for me. I feel the same about trains or taking the Megabus or whatever. The plane is no better or worse in that sense.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tdbates78 said:

Turbulence doesn't bother me either.

This post reminds me of a recent flight where a little tot shouted, "Oh, Turbulence - YES!!!"  Now my kids and I always say that when the plane gets a little bumpy, LOL.

• Like 1