Menu

News: ADHD: ‘The web comics that show what my life is like’

From BBC https://www.bbc.com/news/health-48146166 (link has some of the graphics she drew. I deleted the images and put in brackets where there are images in the article where I quoted)

“When Dani Donovan wanted to show her colleagues what life was like for her as someone diagnosed with Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD), she never thought her sketches would lead to a series of web comics with a celebrity fan base.

The 28-year-old, who lives in Omaha, Nebraska, was diagnosed about a decade ago with ADHD and now hopes her comics will help others to understand the challenges for those with the condition.

She told the BBC: "I'd just started a new job working in data visualisation, and it was the first time I was able to be really open about having ADHD and talk to my colleagues about what it's like. 

"We were telling stories and joking about how I always get off track while I'm telling stories, and I said that it's very much like having a sleepy train conductor running my train of thought. I had the idea for a flowchart, I posted it on Twitter and it took off immediately."

Her graphic shows that when she hears non-ADHD storytelling, it involves a straight move from the start of a story to the end. Her storytelling, however, involves a pre-story prologue before moving to the start of the story, and then wandering through 'too many details', a side-story and losing her train of thought before reaching the end of the tale - and then apologising.

(Image/Comic ADHD Storytelling)

"I wanted people to know that this is my experience, this is how ADHD affects me. I'm not saying that most people experience this, but it's been nice hearing from people who don't have ADHD but do relate to the pictures, as well as people who have it, or have loved ones who have been diagnosed.

"It's when they go 'Wow, this really helps me understand it a lot better' or 'Wow, I didn't know we had so much in common.' 

"I've had people reach out to me and message me to tell me that when they looked at the whole range of experiences in the series, they related to every single one and sought out a therapist. Some of them got diagnosed and are being treated."

(Image/Comic The Faces of ADHD)Presentational white spaceHowever, Dani is quick to stress that the images are not a diagnostic tool, and shouldn't be considered as such.

"If people ask me, 'Does this mean I have ADHD?' my answer is always going to be 'No, it definitely doesn't, but if you've read through the entire body of work and you feel every single thing hits home or if you are crying because you've got so many different experiences and haven't been understood, then you should think about speaking to a doctor or someone else.”

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, SanDiegoMom in VA said:

Thank you.  I am forwarding this on to my daughter.  

Your daughter might like her Twitter feed which has a lot more of the ADHD comics she drew. I didn’t need an account to read.

“ADHD Explained Using Comics

February 26, 2019

2,941 Likes

ADHD can be difficult to explain, and even harder to talk about. We're creative, friendly, and misunderstood by a lot of people. My hope is to help people with #ADHD feel understood and seen, and be able to share their experiences with others.Photo via @danidonovan”

https://mobile.twitter.com/i/moments/808796572716765185

• Like 1

Loved these.   The light-switch of Motivation:  Can't Stop or Can't Start.   Yeah!  (That's me, not just my ADD child, big time).   

And The doors where "minimal effort" and "overly ambitious."   MY KIDDO ALL THE WAY.   Like, for science fair project it's either "learn how animals talk and figure out how to communicate with them" or "well, lets not even do a project then."   UG.

4 hours ago, goldenecho said:

Loved these.   The light-switch of Motivation:  Can't Stop or Can't Start.   Yeah!  (That's me, not just my ADD child, big time).   

And The doors where "minimal effort" and "overly ambitious."   MY KIDDO ALL THE WAY.   Like, for science fair project it's either "learn how animals talk and figure out how to communicate with them" or "well, lets not even do a project then."   UG.

I know! Oh my gosh, throughout high school it was either write an essay that would answer the most obscure or profound thesis statement... or just give up and don’t turn it in. Argh! 

• Like 2