Menu
Jump to content

What's with the ads?

gardenmom5

where to have ds look for jobs?

Recommended Posts

 ds did not apply for an internship for this summer. (last fall, when he should have applied, he was doing two internships and his capstone in addition to school)  because he's starting a MS in the fall, he feels like he can't apply for an actual job at relevant companies.  (I've told him to send his resume out anyway - at worst it's practice.  given things he's done, some might be interested.)  I really don't want him sitting around all summer - I don't care if he wants a break.

his BS is in aerospace engineering - graduates next month.  (he scored in the 97th % in English on the GRE.)

I did send him links to temp agencies that specialize in engineering. 

I also sent him some links to legit tutoring agencies, that are looking for people, the most flexible for time and he could even do a few hours after school starts up in the fall.

where else?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a BS in engineering and my dh has an MS in engineering.  Your son is being successful and has worked hard from what you have just posted.  If he wants to take it easy this summer, why not?  He probably needs it.  By the time I graduated I was married and my mom wasn't nearly so involved in what I did and I would not have expected her to be if I hadn't been married either.

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am not up on that type of degree, job situation, etc. to know what future employers would be looking at but if it wouldn't hurt his future career, what about something mindless or in a totally different field.  Many companies in our area hire for factory work for the summer only (you tell them that going in) or things like kids camps or parks service or other seasonal work.   I am in the camp that he should be doing something, at least 20 hours or more a week, but that what might really depend.  Another option, if money is not a critical need, is to volunteer somewhere for the summer.  Anything from a local food bank, thrift store ministry, to volunteering with a local government that is related to his degree.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Mama Geek said:

I have a BS in engineering and my dh has an MS in engineering.  Your son is being successful and has worked hard from what you have just posted.  If he wants to take it easy this summer, why not?  He probably needs it.  By the time I graduated I was married and my mom wasn't nearly so involved in what I did and I would not have expected her to be if I hadn't been married either.

we pay his room and board.  did your mother pay your room and board, or were you self-supporting? (and we paid to fix the mice damage to his car. - never, ever buy a Nissan. the labor costs just to get to it were absurd because of how the car is designed. ooh lala.  dd had the same thing with a Toyota. the labor - same place - was 1/2 as much as his car because of the difference in design.)

19 minutes ago, Ottakee said:

I am not up on that type of degree, job situation, etc. to know what future employers would be looking at but if it wouldn't hurt his future career, what about something mindless or in a totally different field.  Many companies in our area hire for factory work for the summer only (you tell them that going in) or things like kids camps or parks service or other seasonal work.   I am in the camp that he should be doing something, at least 20 hours or more a week, but that what might really depend.  Another option, if money is not a critical need, is to volunteer somewhere for the summer.  Anything from a local food bank, thrift store ministry, to volunteering with a local government that is related to his degree.

yeah - this type of stuff.  ideas.  I don't think it needs to be related, I just think he'd get paid more if it had some connection. like math. (he previously worked in retail - and is adamant he's not going back.  - the suggestion might have been brought up- not by me - only as a joke.  no one expects him to do that.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Does he have any possibility of getting a Teaching Assistant or Research Assistant job in his department?  That helped dh take out almost no student loans for himself during grad school.  I had loans, grants, and jobs to work my way through college.  My mom paid my car insurance until I got married in my sophomore year and had given me a car that was several years old to go to college on.  She absolutely could not afford to pay for my college at all.  If he is burned out before starting grad school that could be much more costly in the long run that anything he would make in the summer. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Mama Geek said:

Does he have any possibility of getting a Teaching Assistant or Research Assistant job in his department?  That helped dh take out almost no student loans for himself during grad school.  I had loans, grants, and jobs to work my way through college.  My mom paid my car insurance until I got married in my sophomore year and had given me a car that was several years old to go to college on.  She absolutely could not afford to pay for my college at all.  If he is burned out before starting grad school that could be much more costly in the long run that anything he would make in the summer. 

he's done internships through the uni - last summer, and during the school year.  I don't think he's checked for this year (I asked).  he's graduating with minimal debt.   we'll see how grad school goes. (he's got something that's knocked tuition in half.  so, that's a start.)

he can do something - and things I've passed on to him are relatively "easy" compared to what he's been doing.  and most of them are only part time.  one is an actual non-specific engineering internship for an undergrad - but he'll still be a student in the fall.  full time through the summer, and part time (10 -15 hours) through December.   (I thought he might find it more interesting. I doubt it pays more than tutoring.)

he has a pretty light schedule this quarter - one engineering class, (all homework done in class), and one ancient history class to meet an elective requirement.  it was mostly the capstone that was driving him crazy.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, gardenmom5 said:

we pay his room and board.  did your mother pay your room and board, or were you self-supporting? (and we paid to fix the mice damage to his car. - never, ever buy a Nissan. the labor costs just to get to it were absurd because of how the car is designed. ooh lala.  dd had the same thing with a Toyota. the labor - same place - was 1/2 as much as his car because of the difference in design.)

yeah - this type of stuff.  ideas.  I don't think it needs to be related, I just think he'd get paid more if it had some connection. like math. (he previously worked in retail - and is adamant he's not going back.  - the suggestion might have been brought up- not by me - only as a joke.  no one expects him to do that.)

 

If he needs to bring in income for the summer, he needs to get over himself. I graduated from law school in May 2015. The bar exam was near the end of July. When none of the clerkships I applied for panned out, I applied at the Walmart where I'd worked before starting law school (and during the first summer of law school while also doing an externship), and spent the summer stocking shelves (my bar review course was online). We needed the money--any money. I was also job hunting for a career related job, which I found and started in August. I worked at Walmart right up through the weekend before starting my attorney position. 

He's probably too late for hiring deadlines for things like summer camps.

There are plenty of gig jobs around--he has a car, he could drive Uber or Lyft, UberEats, be a Shipt shopper, etc.  

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My ds is starting work at a car wash this week because he’s heard the pay winds up being about $18/hour once tips are included and they are offering him regular hours. What about waiting tables in a nice restaurant where tips should be good? The next town over from us was recently advertising for summer clerks at the library and paying $15/hour, so check your town and county employment websites. Is he good with children? Some people need full time childcare over the summer and will pay well for it. Though I’ve noticed people will pay even better for pet sitting/walking, lol. You can find childcare and pet sitting jobs on indeed.com and maybe care.com would be better, but I’ve never tried it,  I was encouraging my nephew and my dd to make flyers for lawn mowing services. I suspect that would be pretty lucrative in my area. Oh, and one of my son’s friends works for a junk removal business. He is allowed to keep anything the owners ask to have removed and he adds quite a bit to his income by selling other people’s junk on eBay.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You need to stay out of it.  He probably already has been offered something from a prof and his campus career center is working with him. He can take a $15/hr fast food job, grab a walmart stocking job, be special ed aide in summer session, be a nanny, whatever he wants to pay his bills where ever he intends to be after grad. Your job is to make it clear that he is an adult and its up to him to figure out what he needs to do for the summer as the laying about your house isn't an option. He can work off his room and board by doing your roof or something if he's at your place and you want to provide that option.  Otherwise, he probably needs to find his housing option for next fall, and can go ahead an move in and work there. If he needs a little prod, ask him what Kirk would do. Then leave it alone and let him figure it out. 

Edited by HeighHo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ravin said:

 

If he needs to bring in income for the summer, he needs to get over himself. I graduated from law school in May 2015. The bar exam was near the end of July. When none of the clerkships I applied for panned out, I applied at the Walmart where I'd worked before starting law school (and during the first summer of law school while also doing an externship), and spent the summer stocking shelves (my bar review course was online). We needed the money--any money. I was also job hunting for a career related job, which I found and started in August. I worked at Walmart right up through the weekend before starting my attorney position. 

He's probably too late for hiring deadlines for things like summer camps.

There are plenty of gig jobs around--he has a car, he could drive Uber or Lyft, UberEats, be a Shipt shopper, etc.  

they're actually still looking. found quite a few job postings locally. mostly for computer or chess.  (I even found a non-specific engineering internship. they must be desperate. those are usually gone months ago.) and tutoring centers are hiring, even for summer.  (they *really* want math) one program is six weeks from july to august for sat/act prep. 

2dd did tutoring one year before starting her doc.  she kept one student after she started grad school, until the girl graduated from high school, as she just really enjoyed her.

I've encouraged him to go to the uni career center...

1 hour ago, Mom0012 said:

  jobs on indeed.com and maybe care.com would be better 

thanks for the sites.  I just went to craigslist, and some of the temp/engineering employment agencies.

1 hour ago, HeighHo said:

You need to stay out of it.  He probably already has been offered something from a prof and his campus career center is working with him. He can take a $15/hr fast food job, grab a walmart stocking job, be special ed aide in summer session, be a nanny, whatever he wants to pay his bills where ever he intends to be after grad. Your job is to make it clear that he is an adult and its up to him to figure out what he needs to do for the summer as the laying about your house isn't an option. He can work off his room and board by doing your roof or something if he's at your place and you want to provide that option.  Otherwise, he probably needs to find his housing option for next fall, and can go ahead an move in and work there. If he needs a little prod, ask him what Kirk would do. Then leave it alone and let him figure it out. 

 

he lives at home, (we're on a very convenient bus route for the university.)  I get a say.  if he were living on his own and paying his own bills,  I wouldn't care nearly as much.

 it's handy that the only university in the entire pnw  (and west of Minnesota) that offers his major (and is one of the higher ranked unis offering it), just happens to be so close.

 

today he's staying late to chat with incoming jrs and sell them on this branch of engineering.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would stay out of summer jobs, were I you. He is busy studying and writing exams right now, and he has a great plan for the next couple years. What would probably be more useful for his career would be to spend time writing and submitting journal articles. You seem to be thinking short-term cash, but he's getting to the point where he needs to build a professional resume that will include things like research or hands-on experience in his field and published articles. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, gardenmom5 said:

they're actually still looking. found quite a few job postings locally. mostly for computer or chess.  (I even found a non-specific engineering internship. they must be desperate. those are usually gone months ago.) and tutoring centers are hiring, even for summer.  (they *really* want math) one program is six weeks from july to august for sat/act prep. 

2dd did tutoring one year before starting her doc.  she kept one student after she started grad school, until the girl graduated from high school, as she just really enjoyed her.

I've encouraged him to go to the uni career center...

thanks for the sites.  I just went to craigslist, and some of the temp/engineering employment agencies.

 

he lives at home, (we're on a very convenient bus route for the university.)  I get a say.  if he were living on his own and paying his own bills,  I wouldn't care nearly as much.

 it's handy that the only university in the entire pnw  (and west of Minnesota) that offers his major (and is one of the higher ranked unis offering it), just happens to be so close.

 

today he's staying late to chat with incoming jrs and sell them on this branch of engineering.   

I don't think anyone is saying you shouldn't make it a requirement of living with you that he gets a summer job. I and others seem to be saying you don't need to be taking quite so much ownership of the job hunt process; he's an adult and may not need so much scaffolding. Does he have some special needs where he does need that? Or are you used to doing so? I had a situation where both were true, but I finally was able to step back and let my kid adult on his own. Maybe you can let him search and all?

Edited by Chris in VA
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, wintermom said:

I would stay out of summer jobs, were I you. He is busy studying and writing exams right now, and he has a great plan for the next couple years. What would probably be more useful for his career would be to spend time writing and submitting journal articles. You seem to be thinking short-term cash, but he's getting to the point where he needs to build a professional resume that will include things like research or hands-on experience in his field and published articles. 

 

actually, after his capstone was over in april, - his schedule requirements dropped considerably. he's enjoying a very easy quarter, and he doesn't have to be on campus everyday.

I do have things he can help with me around here, which would probably give him the motivation to go find something else.

he starts a MS in the fall, he's not doing a phd (which would be research generating material for articles), he doesn't need to submit articles - and considering what he's been doing - he doesn't need to submit articles.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, gardenmom5 said:

they're actually still looking. found quite a few job postings locally. mostly for computer or chess.  (I even found a non-specific engineering internship. they must be desperate. those are usually gone months ago.) and tutoring centers are hiring, even for summer.  (they *really* want math) one program is six weeks from july to august for sat/act prep. 

snip

thanks for the sites.  I just went to craigslist, and some of the temp/engineering employment agencies.

 

he lives at home, (we're on a very convenient bus route for the university.)  I get a say.  if he were living on his own and paying his own bills,  I wouldn't care nearly as much.

 it's handy that the only university in the entire pnw  (and west of Minnesota) that offers his major (and is one of the higher ranked unis offering it), just happens to be so close.

 

today he's staying late to chat with incoming jrs and sell them on this branch of engineering.   

 

When do you plan to let your young man be a man and own his life?

Edited by HeighHo
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Chris in VA said:

I don't think anyone is saying you shouldn't make it a requirement of living with you that he gets a summer job. I and others seem to be saying you don't need to be taking quite so much ownership of the job hunt process; he's an adult and may not need so much scaffolding. Does he have some special needs where he does need that? Or are you used to doing so? I had a situation where both were true, but I finally was able to step back and let my kid adult on his own. Maybe you can let him search and all?

he asked - I pointed.  gave him some links.  that's the extent.  I only came here for ideas of where to look.  he plans to do the rest.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, gardenmom5 said:

he asked - I pointed.  gave him some links.  that's the extent.  I only came here for ideas of where to look.  he plans to do the rest.

 

Super. I guess I was generalizing my own experience. Sorry

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, gardenmom5 said:

actually, after his capstone was over in april, - his schedule requirements dropped considerably. he's enjoying a very easy quarter, and he doesn't have to be on campus everyday.

I do have things he can help with me around here, which would probably give him the motivation to go find something else.

he starts a MS in the fall, he's not doing a phd (which would be research generating material for articles), he doesn't need to submit articles - and considering what he's been doing - he doesn't need to submit articles.

I would still focus energy on building a professional resume, and seek jobs and experiences that are related to his field of study. Submitting and publishing articles may not be a requirement, but it is certainly a bonus. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, HeighHo said:

 

When do you plan to let your young man be a man and own his life?

when he pays his own bills. (which is what I'm trying to get him to do.)  he's lived away.  he moved home.  we're in a very hcol area.  he'd love to move out, and while I would be thrilled to have that empty nest I keep hearing about...  I think it would be stupid before he graduates with his MS and has a real job, because it's so expensive here.  I actually wouldn't have a problem with him living here after he starts a 'real job' so he can save money faster to get a down payment and buy his own place.  (there are a number of companies locally that use his major, and he wants to stay here. not uncommon. there is a history of people who come here for grad school - and stay because they like it so much.). or he could end up in a much cheaper area that also uses his major.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, wintermom said:

I would still focus energy on building a professional resume, and seek jobs and experiences that are related to his field of study. Submitting and publishing articles may not be a requirement, but it is certainly a bonus. 

2dd tutored the entire year before she started grad school.  (during which she was applying to grad school. she applied to one)  didn't hurt her a bit.  while he'd love to have something relevant this summer - those internships are long gone.  you have to apply in the fall.  last fall, he was horrendously busy (two internships and a capstone on top of classes) and simply didn't have time to rewrite his resume (which I will encourage him to do this summer), and apply.  he will probably not have any issues getting an actual internship in his field summer of 2020 - he will get his MS in 2021. it won't hold him back.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Slinging drinks/serving at a seasonal bar/resort/supper club?  We have a lot of those kind of places where I live, and they prefer to hire older seasonal workers, which can be hard to come by.  If he has any kind of personality for service, he can make a killing on tips from the seasonal crowd.  For a young adult, it could be a really fun way to pass the summer. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Um, if he doesn't have a full ride for his Master's degree or is going for a job that is only accessible with a Master's, I'd encourage him to look for a real engineering job. Most engineering companies will reimburse you for additional college classes that relate to your job. It'll take longer to get your Master's, but you'll be making money and having your tuition/fees/books covered. But I'm like that. For many engineering fields, a Master's degree doesn't have a good ROI. 

Other than that input, I'd stay out of it. If I were funding said Master's degree, I'd be more pushy - like, "Son, you are old enough to earn part of the money required to get this done. I expect you to cover your fill-in-the-blank (housing? Tuition? books? whatever)."  And then I'd step away. He needs to figure this out himself, IMHO. He can use his connections to find jobs. Have him ask your friends/his friends/classmates-who-got-jobs/professors for job leads. That is real life. Welcome to it!

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Bambam said:

Um, if he doesn't have a full ride for his Master's degree or is going for a job that is only accessible with a Master's, I'd encourage him to look for a real engineering job. Most engineering companies will reimburse you for additional college classes that relate to your job. It'll take longer to get your Master's, but you'll be making money and having your tuition/fees/books covered. But I'm like that. For many engineering fields, a Master's degree doesn't have a good ROI. 

Other than that input, I'd stay out of it. If I were funding said Master's degree, I'd be more pushy - like, "Son, you are old enough to earn part of the money required to get this done. I expect you to cover your fill-in-the-blank (housing? Tuition? books? whatever)."  And then I'd step away. He needs to figure this out himself, IMHO. He can use his connections to find jobs. Have him ask your friends/his friends/classmates-who-got-jobs/professors for job leads. That is real life. Welcome to it!

 

he could easily get a full-time job with the BS. (most in this field only do a BS.) - especially with the things he's already done.  the problem is the schedule conflict of working a full-time job with this particular MS program.  it's daytime. most of the full-time engineering positions are daytime.  almost none are part-time. 

while his dept offers MS engineering programs that are evening classes/designed to be done by a working engineer - those are more general and terminal degrees.  the MS he is doing is not terminal, and if he ever wanted to come back for a phd it would apply.  

He's doing the MS because he feels like God held up a flashing neon sign saying "go this way".  before that, he had only planned on a BS.  

He's instate, he lives at home, and he's graduating with his BS with minimal (<$5k) debt.  his tuition has been knocked "in half" over the posted rate for the MS.   he's pretty much funded his education himself - we've mostly just provided room and board.   

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I doubt the opportunity to work for a prof is gone...grant money was awarded this spring, which means there may be openings - but he has to take the initiative and find them.  Part of being a grown up is doing the leg work.  When he answers that question of 'why do you want this job', there has to be an authentic answer that is not 'mom wants me to find a job'.  Same with 'how did you hear of this opportunity?'....its not 'mom was browsing the internet' or 'mom saw it on the bulletin board at the U'. He needs to take the reins in this job search - and you need to help by refusing when he tries to hand them to you.  With his light schedule, you don't need to be a part of it....he can use that time to figure out where to look for professional jobs using his resources. He just did  a small gig for his dept? Maybe they have a few two week type of summer camp experiences he could be a part of?  He needs to use his problem solving skills and figure it out.  You do this by listening, and your response is along the lines of 'how is that working out for you ?" as he relates what he's done with career center, networking, using his AIAA membership etc.  Speaking of AIAA, he needs to go to the professional chapter meetings if he doesn't already. 

 

Edited by HeighHo
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, HeighHo said:

Your time should be spent putting a price on what you are offering to spend on  his room, board, health insurance,transportation, and tuition and what his contribution should be.  From that he can figure out what kind of job he needs to have.

 

those are the only things for which we are paying.  the other things he pays himself.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, gardenmom5 said:

those are the only things for which we are paying.  the other things he pays himself.

 

and its time to let go... put a price on it and cut the apron strings.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@gardenmom5   My dh is an aerospace engineer, so I asked him for ideas for your son.  Of course, his first thought was co-ops or internships, but acknowledged that it's too late for those.  His second thought was flight training, but only if your ds really wants to learn to fly (it's too expensive to do on a whim, just to fill time).  If that's not a good fit, dh suggested that, even though your ds is primarily interested in aerospace, that some hands-on experience with airplanes would be useful for him.  He suggests your son go visit the local general aviation airport (not the airlines, but the smaller planes) and offer his services to the shop mechanics.  It may not pay very well, but he'd gain valuable experience.

 

Edited by Suzanne in ABQ
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I will say that when both my dh and I attended engineering school, you started looking for a job two semesters before you graduated. It was a SUPER busy time. Hard classes. Hard projects. Serious labs. But you still had to make time to interview on campus and THEN also make time to visit those companies for on-site interviews. Those who didn't were still looking for jobs when they graduated while the rest of us had several job offers to chose from. So, when it comes close to the end of his work for his Master's, he needs to start interviewing, looking for a job - find a way regardless of how busy he is. It is hard. It can be done. Numerous people have done it. Most of us didn't have any option but find a job or be homeless. 

Edited by Bambam
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...