Menu

Tips for motivation for self directed subjects/and also accountability

My daughter has done really well with TT Geometry this year, and it looks like we really don't have a lot of viable options for Algebra 2 for next year.  (due to various reasons we've discussed in other threads)  ....our co-op looks like it lost its Alg 2 teacher.  I've looked for online classes but I feel due to personality, as well as other factors it seems unwise to try something new when we do have something that, while not ideal, does work.  

My daughter is very hard working and self motivated and I generally don't have to remind her or keep her on task, however math has had a few bumps where she convinced herself that half a lesson would work out, and then she got behind.  Also, it's just kind of lonely with her, the computer, and nobody to talk to about it at all...

So, if you have a student that doesn't need negative reinforcement or "consequences" but DOES need some help with encouragement, motivation, and keeping on track, what are your tricks and tips?  

Stickers are long gone, LOL (not that she was ever motivated by a sticker anyway even at 5...) so I just don't know how to encourage or help it along ...I do "visit" and offer green tea and dark chocolate and offer to go for a walk halfway through and things like that ...

Every time DS14 ask me to make him milk tea, I would make him his tea and check his progress (regardless of subject) at the same time. He tends to ask for tea twice a day so that helps. If something is not clear, he tends to ask me to help find other sources. He does attend a weekly online class for math so that keeps him on schedule as well. I ask at night for “progress report”.

ETA:

DS13 is tomato stalk

Edited by Arcadia
  • Like 1