Menu

What's with the ads?

Arctic Mama

Just freaked myself out with a house centipede!

I admire your restraint in that you were able to moderate your response and rehome it! 

Reminds me of the "I thought I saw a spider on the carpet but it was a piece of yarn. It is dead yarn now," meme.

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

It was too cool to kill, plus we wanted to figure out what it was - I’d never seen one before! But they are some of the fastest non-flying insects I’ve ever seen!

• Like 2

Ha, we have them too!  I squash them with no remorse if I can, lol.  I've never seen them before in other states, but they seem to be all over in Ohio!

• Like 6

dont worry, if you've seen one, you'll see a dozen more before July...

Watch out for them in the folds of your shower curtain.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, unsinkable said:

dont worry, if you've seen one, you'll see a dozen more before July...

Watch out for them in the folds of your shower curtain.

I. Would. Pee. The. Shower.

AHHHHH!

• Haha 3

Thankfully, haven't seen these in this location.  Our previous location, they were everywhere (along with every other bug in that environment.  If it lived there, it lived in our house *sigh*)  

And, I would squish or vaccuum or drown any bug I saw.  I hate bugs.  *HATE* bugs.  

• Like 2

They are way more creepy than harmful, and so fascinating.  We had them all the time when we built our house (apparently around *their* house.  They are fast and unpredictable, partly because you can't tell which end is their head unless they're already moving, so it's hard to catch them.

• Like 2

We had them in my house while growing up. They are not harmful, but are super creepy, in my opinion. I hate them. I once had one come out of the wall where a tile was missing and skittle over my toes while I was taking a bath. I think I went from sitting in the tub to standing beside it in one impossible leap. #scarredforever

When DD17 was about two and saw one for first time, she shrieked, "Too many legs, too many legs!!!" I had to agree!

• Haha 8

He's itty bitty compared to the ones you'll see in Hawaii. It's downright scary when one pops out of a pile of dirty clothes you're about to wash. They bite, too!

• Sad 2

5 minutes ago, BeachGal said:

He's itty bitty compared to the ones you'll see in Hawaii. It's downright scary when one pops out of a pile of dirty clothes you're about to wash. They bite, too!

Oh man.  Hard hard pass.  Aaaack!

We have had them ever since moving into our house 20 years ago.  My eldest likes to tell the story of the first night he slept in our basement and woke up with one on the wall in front of his face!  He moved his bed and angled it out from the corner after that!  

We have been able to decrease the population as the years have gone by by decreasing the amount of moisture in our basement ... Or maybe we've just gotten rid of their diet?  

• Like 1

We call them creepy crawliees and they’re in middle Tennessee too. My dd rinsed soap from her hair while perching on the very edges of the tub because one came out in the bottom of the shower. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BeachGal said:

Those are different scary creatures.  The ones in Hawaii (and Japan) do bite (like a bee sting or worse)!  When I lived in Japan, one of the biting ones (about 7 inches long) fell out of the baby sling right before I stuck my daughter in it.  I screamed the loudest scream EVER.  Then I ran to get a broom and tried to kill it.  Those things are fast and do not want to die.  Mukade - Japanese (and Hawaiian) centipedes

image.jpeg.afa841e428515df4577e9e4acef116f8.jpeg

• Sad 2

Just now, YaelAldrich said:

Those are different scary creatures.  The ones in Hawaii (and Japan) do bite (like a bee sting or worse)!  When I lived in Japan, one of the biting ones (about 7 inches long) fell out of the baby sling right before I stuck my daughter in it.  I screamed the loudest scream EVER.  Then I ran to get a broom and tried to kill it.  Those things are fast and do not want to die.  Mukade - Japanese (and Hawaiian) centipedes

image.jpeg.afa841e428515df4577e9e4acef116f8.jpeg

It’s like a baby dragon!  I can’t even.

• Haha 2

Those are common here in Indiana! Thank you for being kind and compassionate and relocating him! ❤️

For bit of trivia for anyone dislikes spiders: house centipedes eat them. I actually prefer spiders, in terms of predictability and aesthetics. 😉 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

We had an Iguana in our backyard this afternoon. My wife and DD heard the dogs barking and went to see what the issue was. The Iguana was about 2 or 3 feet long and probably that's big enough that the dogs got the message not to tangle with it.  DD went to the refrigerator and got several pieces of a Carrot to give it to eat, after Googling on her phone to see what they eat.. We think it came from a neighbors yard when they were cutting the grass and it was afraid because of the noise.  

Probably you'd like to have an Iguana and not the Centipede?

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

It's because of those that I started the insect thread a couple weeks ago!  They're so creepy looking!  If you live in the midwest, I think they're fairly common?  Especially in older homes.   We get 3-4 inch long ones sometimes.  I either find them at the bottom of junk drawers in the kitchen or coming up through drains.  I've learned to not freak out but it's hard.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Lanny said:

We had an Iguana in our backyard this afternoon. My wife and DD heard the dogs barking and went to see what the issue was. The Iguana was about 2 or 3 feet long and probably that's big enough that the dogs got the message not to tangle with it.  DD went to the refrigerator and got several pieces of a Carrot to give it to eat, after Googling on her phone to see what they eat.. We think it came from a neighbors yard when they were cutting the grass and it was afraid because of the noise.  

Probably you'd like to have an Iguana and not the Centipede?

We were living somewhere for a few months last year, and iguanas would regularly find their way to our back patio.  Once, we found one on top of the fence, and it appeared to be stuck.  My dd brought a step-stool out to rescue it, thinking it would need help and move very slowly.  To her surprise, it hopped!  It easily hopped (toward her) and off the fence and down to the ground.  Naturally there was a loud shriek from my dd.  🙂 

• Like 2

I'm usually not too squeamish about insects, but something about all those legs and how fast those things move creeps me out. I hate those creepy things!

• Like 1

I always try to leave them alone. I know we have them, but I usually don't see them more than once or twice in a month. They eat the other bugs, including the spiders. I'm all for that. And yeah, they're super fast.

• Like 1

If it's any consolation, it seems like here in the Buckeye State we get a different annual invasion. So if this is the year of the centipede for you, next year it will be something different. When we first moved into our house (in the woods, cleared a spot), we'd come out every morning to a virtual CARPET of them to sweep up. It was disgusting. So one isn't that bad, lol. But yeah, next year maybe you'll have woodroaches. 

• Confused 1

5 minutes ago, PeterPan said:

If it's any consolation, it seems like here in the Buckeye State we get a different annual invasion. So if this is the year of the centipede for you, next year it will be something different. When we first moved into our house (in the woods, cleared a spot), we'd come out every morning to a virtual CARPET of them to sweep up. It was disgusting. So one isn't that bad, lol. But yeah, next year maybe you'll have woodroaches. 

No don’t tell me this!  I couldn’t handle a bunch of them without spraying poison and I hate doing that!  I think you may be right about the annual invasion though, last year we had a ridiculous ton of flies, then spiders.  Like hoards.  But please NO hoards of house centipedes.  I would die.

1 hour ago, PeterPan said:

Look for where they're coming in and try to seal things up.

Unfortunately we are in the middle of a remodel - walls and such are open off and on, including the ceiling in some areas. I’m pretty sure they got in through the pantry/laundry room, which has a side door we closed up but haven’t properly sealed yet.

Ugh.  They are so creepy.  They look furry, and bugs should NOT be furry.

We had an invasion of them once when we brought in some mulch in the garden that was made in some southern state.  Turned out the mulch was infested with brown recluses, which came into our basement.  Then after them came an infestation of house centipedes, because their favorite food is brown recluses. I just about torched the house!

Frankly I was more afraid of the centipedes than the spiders, poisonous or not. Those legs look a lot like fur ruffling in the breeze when they run and it creeps me out.

• Sad 1

12 hours ago, J-rap said:

We were living somewhere for a few months last year, and iguanas would regularly find their way to our back patio.  Once, we found one on top of the fence, and it appeared to be stuck.  My dd brought a step-stool out to rescue it, thinking it would need help and move very slowly.  To her surprise, it hopped!  It easily hopped (toward her) and off the fence and down to the ground.  Naturally there was a loud shriek from my dd.  🙂 

Nice that your DD wanted to help it, but that can be dangerous.  Their tails are powerful.  Where we lived before (I've lived in 2 places since moving here) the next door neighbors son (someone I helped a few times with Computer Science courses when he was in university) when he was a teenager, tangled with an Iguana that was in a tree in the Front Yard. The Iguana swung his tail at the boy and it didn't break his arm, but I believe it hurt like the dickens and that he learned to leave Iguanas alone. That was approximately 17 years ago, so I don't remember the exact nature of the damage to his arm...  Iguanas are endangered and protected and we don't see them very often now and we appreciate that they are here.  

Regarding animals trapped in fences. That does happen. In that same place, there was a cat that got stuck in the fence.  My Stepson rescued it.  The vet had to amputate her foot. Having only 3 feet did not prevent her from getting pregnant.  We named her "Lucky".  She lived for many years, with only 3 feet. 

• Like 2

I'm in the midwest and the only centipede/millipede type insects I've seen have short legs. The long, skinny legs on this thing creep me out! Daddy long legs have always made me shudder, too. 

• Like 1

On 5/15/2019 at 1:18 PM, Storygirl said:

When DD17 was about two and saw one for first time, she shrieked, "Too many legs, too many legs!!!" I had to agree!

Totally agree with your DD! Way too many legs.

Here is my funny house centipede story. I'm not even sure what I was thinking, I wasn't thinking is the problem. When I see those suckers my brain goes numb. Anyway, there was one in my linen closet. Our big orange cat liked to chase them, and would kill them. So, my big idea was to put him on the top shelf of the linen closet to catch the sucker. Because shoving a 16 pound cat 2 feet above my head into a closet is a great idea! He freaked out on me, and I don't really remember a lot of what happened next. There was flailing, hissing, screaming (mine), fur flying, and a still alive centipede in my sheets.  I now shake out my sheets whenever I pull them from the closet. And, I've never tried to shove a cat into that closet again. I do find cats in there all the time sleeping, but I don't put them there 🙂

Kelly 

• Haha 3

I’m ok with lots of other bugs, but those guys Freak Me Out.  I haaaaate them.

But I still can’t stand killing things, so I get someone in the house to put a cup over it and take it outside.  I can take just about anything else outside on my own, but those guys just set off the primal fear in me and I can’t do it.

For fun, here’s an ancient blog post I wrote about when one was skittering around the bathroom while I was stuck on the toilet:  https://dustylizard.wordpress.com/2012/04/19/a-nightmare-comes-true-an-intruder-in-the-house/

• Haha 6

@Garga okay that was hilarious.  The re-enactment with the paper version was GOLD.  I’m sorry you almost experienced Instant Death though 😱

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Garga said:

But I still can’t stand killing things, so I get someone in the house to put a cup over it and take it outside.  I can take just about anything else outside on my own, but those guys just set off the primal fear in me and I can’t do it.

For fun, here’s an ancient blog post I wrote about when one was skittering around the bathroom while I was stuck on the toilet:  https://dustylizard.wordpress.com/2012/04/19/a-nightmare-comes-true-an-intruder-in-the-house/

"a Million Legger the size of a beagle"

that was a great read!

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Garga said:

I'm glad it wasn't your day to die 🤣

• Haha 3