Menu

What's with the ads?

caedmyn

has anyone used the games from socialthinking.com/Zones of Regulation?

Wondering if anyone can give feedback on the games at socialthinking.com.  The games are called  Navigating the Zones and Should I Shouldn’t I?

This would be for my kids ages 6, 8, and 10.  My 13 yo could probably use some too.

We (or rather the behaviorist and people working with my ds) have used the Should I/Shouldn't I cards quite a bit, so they're definitely good. I think people are using the zones board game in therapy settings. On the FB group it seems well-received, but I'm not sure it adds much. I think it's more therapists dealing with bored kids. But I haven't played it. I just find the Zones to be such a straightforward tool that I don't see the point. But the Should I/Shouldn't I cards will add a LOT and open up discussions. 

Are you doing daily or periodic check-ins? That's the main thing with Zones. With some straight ADHD kids you teach it and they take off and run with it. In general though, some kids are going to need more prompts, some structure to make it happen, check-ins. 

1 hour ago, PeterPan said:

We (or rather the behaviorist and people working with my ds) have used the Should I/Shouldn't I cards quite a bit, so they're definitely good. I think people are using the zones board game in therapy settings. On the FB group it seems well-received, but I'm not sure it adds much. I think it's more therapists dealing with bored kids. But I haven't played it. I just find the Zones to be such a straightforward tool that I don't see the point. But the Should I/Shouldn't I cards will add a LOT and open up discussions. 

Are you doing daily or periodic check-ins? That's the main thing with Zones. With some straight ADHD kids you teach it and they take off and run with it. In general though, some kids are going to need more prompts, some structure to make it happen, check-ins. 

I’ll look into those cards more.  Maybe they’d be good for a quick daily review.  

I only have one take off and run with anything kid, and that’s only when he wants to.  The rest need lots of mom motivation which is exhausting and hit or miss.  My 6 yo is a total spaz and I think he could really use ZoR (and some adhd meds but that isn’t going to happen).

The cards are for application of social thinking concepts. The board game would be more your group review of the zones. 

My kids really like Should I or shouldn't I?
It's a little surprising to me, because it seems a little bit... dry... to me.
But they seem to think it's as fun as apples to apples or something like that. 
They pull it out to play in their free time, when it's competing with monopoly and catan and chess and mancala.

• Like 1