Menu

Lavender oil for anxiety?

RootAnn

DS13 likes the smell of lavender flowers and doesn’t mind the bath & body works lavender lotion. No idea about effects on anxiety. I wanted to buy a small pot of lavender for him but lavender is to be avoided for estrogen positive breast cancer so I didn’t since we would have to keep the plant indoors (patio too hot for our previous lavender plant). I used to buy essential oils from The Body Shop to use as room fresheners in my college dorm room but they aren’t the best quality.

“Lavender can cause allergic skin reactions and may increase sedative effects. It may also cause enlarged breasts in boys. Because it has weak hormonal activities, long-term oral or topical use of lavender should be avoided in patients with hormone-sensitive cancers.

Do not take if

• You are pregnant and nursing: Excessive internal use of lavender should be avoided.
  • You are allergic to lavender: Skin rash has been reported.
  • You have a hormone-sensitive cancer: In laboratory studies, lavender showed very weak estrogenic and antiandrogenic activities, and it is unclear whether this would lead to any positive or negative effects with long-term oral or topical use.
  • You are taking sedatives or hypnotic drugs: Lavender may increase their effects.
  • You are taking CNS depressants, anticonvulsants: Lavender may increase narcotic and sedative effects.
  • You are taking cholesterol-lowering drugs (statins, nicotinic acid, fibric acid derivatives): Lavender may produce additional cholesterol-lowering effects.” https://www.mskcc.org/cancer-care/integrative-medicine/herbs/lavender

2 hours ago, Suzanne in ABQ said:

Try it.  It is safe for direct skin contact (actually has healing properties), so it can't really hurt.  It is relaxing at bedtime.  

My anxiety ridden daughter can't stand the smell of lavender, but there are other essential oils that help her..

I too am of the opinion to try it since the chance of side effects are minimal. If there is no appreciable difference you can look for other solutions. I know it has been tried in psych departments (clients with severe anxiety and insomnia) and some success has been reported (results varied).