Menu

Need advice on name/scope of co-op writing/English class

Next year I'm planning to do a junior high writing class at our co-op. I'd like opinions about what to call it, and any feedback on how to make it more interesting for students.

This year I did a "Writing Workshop" with assignments geared toward our co-op newspaper, along with a couple of personal narrative and one creative writing assignment. But next year I'd like to expand this to include READING assignments each week. I'd like to include one short story we all discuss at the beginning of class, and then move to a writing lesson and assignment. The writing assignments will include more creative writing, as well as five paragraph essays, persuasive essays, and of course some newswriting for the paper. 

This will be my 4th year of teaching writing classes at the co-op and running the newspaper, and I've done it slightly differently each year.  

Any suggestions on a good name for the class? Or am I veering into a mainstream "English" class?

Provenance

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
6 hours ago, Casel Romando said:

Sorry, you wrote about the "Writing Workshop", but what kind of experience is this? are these courses? Me internally for myself. I am a student learning to write in English. Thank you!

You might try an internet search for “writing class for ESL.” You probably ahead know this, but ESL is the abbreviation for “English as a second language.” You will find classes that are targeted to adult learners for whom English isn’t their primary language. That may be more efficient for you than trying classes that are targeted for children who have English as their first language. Best wishes!

• Like 1