Menu

AP Physics

I have searched, and looked through the physics thread but still have questions.

I was hoping to find a synchronous AP physics class, but no luck so far. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

If not, I am assuming my options come down to Derek Owens or PAH. Anyone take either over this past year that could share their experience with the course?

I have been looking at Jack Kernion’s class at PAH. He does live sessions every other week, which is better than anything else I’ve found. If this doesn’t work for DS, I will be looking at dual enrollment.  

http://www.aphomeschoolers.com/cgi-bin/choose.pl?class=physics3

I’m all ears for reviews.

Edited by Alte Veste Academy
  • Like 1

I'm also shopping for AP Physics C for my rising senior for next year. We've done DE for lots of things along the way, but because we did Calculus last year at home, DE isn't an option for Calculus-based Physics because the community college is very picky about their pre-requisites and won't accept our homeschool Calculus and won't let us test out.

I was searching for PAH Physics reviews online, but then ended up with a personal review by chance, in chatting with a friend of mine. Her oldest son (now finishing his freshman year at the Peabody Institute at JHU) took AP Physics C (Mechanics and E&M together in one year, I believe) with Kernion. She had wonderful things to say about the class and her son's experiences in it. Her son ended up liking Physics so well that he's adding a second major at JHU that has an additional Physics component. He ended up with a 5 on both exams and she felt the class was excellent preparation.

On her recommendation, we went ahead and signed up for Kernion for next year (the first semester Mechanics, second semester E&M option). The every other week live session looks like it will conflict with our DE second year Computer Science course, but at least we'll have the recordings and may be able to attend sporadically depending on quirks in the cc schedule. My oldest son has never been a fan of asynchronous anything, but we're going to give it a shot next year!

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, daijobu said:

Another vote for Kernion >> Lanctot.  My dd started with Lanctot for mechanics then switched at the semester to Kernion for e&m and was glad she did.  

It would not be a science post without daijobu sharing her great infinite wisdom. Thank you 🙂 Did your child take 1 and 2 in the span of a year? Or did you do it over 2 years?

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, daijobu said:

She took both classes in one year.  She's pretty mathy, and she'd already taken ap chem and bio, so she's BTDT with science APs.  

Would you say she was as well prepared for the physics C exams as she was prepared for AP Chem after PAH AP chem? 

We are weighing CC versus PAH for physics. The only downside of CC is not all material will be covered in time for the exam. 

• Like 1