Menu

What's with the ads?

chocolate-chip chooky

Psychology as a highschool subject

My daughter is studying psychology as a highschool subject.

I'm trying to find some suitable psych reports for her to read, mainly to get her acquainted with the format and style, and also to help familiarise her with some of the key language and themes.

She's 13, so I need to be a tad careful about suitable content. I also don't want to overwhelm her with anything too long or complicated at first.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Just bumping this, hoping someone else might view it and have some ideas.

I'm looking on Google Scholar and the experiment reports I'm finding that sound interesting + readable are pay-to-view, as they're from journals such as ScienceDirect or PsychInfo.

🤔

Not formal scholarly papers/research, but here are some past threads with ideas for course resources. Perhaps some of the ideas in the threads for texts/books/films might also be of use?

"College Intro Psychology for a 12yo" -- what topics might be inappropriate or too mature for this age?
"Psychology starting in 9th grade?"
"Need interesting material for Psychology class - books, videos"
"I'm looking for Psychology recommendations" -- online classes and textbook ideas, some from Christian perspective
"Semester Psychology course (0.5 credit)?"
"AP Psychology"
"Psychology movie" -- ideas for feature films about different Psychology/mental health topics to go along with a high school Psychology course
"Has anyone used Sonlight Psychology?"

Science Daily: Psychology News -- short articles on what's new in the field
Accessible Science -- links to blog articles and videos on psychology topics

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks, folks. 

We do have a course and textbook already.

Psychology is offered as a senior highschool subject in schools here, so we're using the textbook used in schools, and I have access to all the online teacher resources, which includes videos, quizzes etc.

I'm just surprised that our course doesn't include some sample experiment reports, because the course asks for students to design, carry out, and write a report on their own experiment. I know that my daughter would benefit from reading some real ones and getting familiar with the format and style. 

Edited by chocolate-chip chooky
  • Like 2

Okay. That makes sense. Does your library offer database access? There are usually medical journals and such available that way. Public libraries in the US often have at least a small selection available online. Medline is one. I suspect there may a psychology specific one.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MamaSprout said:

Okay. That makes sense. Does your library offer database access? There are usually medical journals and such available that way. Public libraries in the US often have at least a small selection available online. Medline is one. I suspect there may a psychology specific one.

That's a great idea. I'll have a look. Thank you 🌻

One of my older daughters is still at university. I may be able to use her student access to the uni library databases.  🤔

• Like 1