Menu

Psychology as a highschool subject

My daughter is studying psychology as a highschool subject.

I'm trying to find some suitable psych reports for her to read, mainly to get her acquainted with the format and style, and also to help familiarise her with some of the key language and themes.

She's 13, so I need to be a tad careful about suitable content. I also don't want to overwhelm her with anything too long or complicated at first.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Not formal scholarly papers/research, but here are some past threads with ideas for course resources. Perhaps some of the ideas in the threads for texts/books/films might also be of use?

"College Intro Psychology for a 12yo" -- what topics might be inappropriate or too mature for this age?
"Psychology starting in 9th grade?"
"Need interesting material for Psychology class - books, videos"
"I'm looking for Psychology recommendations" -- online classes and textbook ideas, some from Christian perspective
"Semester Psychology course (0.5 credit)?"
"AP Psychology"
"Psychology movie" -- ideas for feature films about different Psychology/mental health topics to go along with a high school Psychology course
"Has anyone used Sonlight Psychology?"

Science Daily: Psychology News -- short articles on what's new in the field
Accessible Science -- links to blog articles and videos on psychology topics

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks, folks. 

We do have a course and textbook already.

Psychology is offered as a senior highschool subject in schools here, so we're using the textbook used in schools, and I have access to all the online teacher resources, which includes videos, quizzes etc.

I'm just surprised that our course doesn't include some sample experiment reports, because the course asks for students to design, carry out, and write a report on their own experiment. I know that my daughter would benefit from reading some real ones and getting familiar with the format and style. 

Edited by chocolate-chip chooky
  • Like 2

Okay. That makes sense. Does your library offer database access? There are usually medical journals and such available that way. Public libraries in the US often have at least a small selection available online. Medline is one. I suspect there may a psychology specific one.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MamaSprout said:

Okay. That makes sense. Does your library offer database access? There are usually medical journals and such available that way. Public libraries in the US often have at least a small selection available online. Medline is one. I suspect there may a psychology specific one.

That's a great idea. I'll have a look. Thank you 🌻

One of my older daughters is still at university. I may be able to use her student access to the uni library databases.  🤔

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Try the book 40 Studies that Changed Psychology by Roger Hock. It will give her very good background about the research that has shaped the field of psychology.

I am a psychologist and now a homeschooling parent who teaches online high school psychology classes.  Peer-reviewed articles will likely be rather challenging to start with, even for a very advanced 13-year-old. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I just re-read what I wrote before I fell asleep😴 Yes, I definitely agree there is primary research that would be suitable for sure, but it will take a bit of effort to find it and it will probably not be the most enjoyable way to start off in the field for most kids. Although as a parent of a PG kid, I know what interests him is often quite unusual! 

I used to teach Intro Psych at the undergraduate level (mostly freshman and sophomores) and it was very challenging for most of the students to really digest the primary articles that I used that were very simplistic, so I would limit requirements to one to two articles . However it is very important to get used to reading the primary research, so I definitely hope I didn't seem to suggest otherwise. I would be sure to find highly interesting options that won't bog the reader down in complex methods and statistics - unless they have background in that area 🙂 The Hock book is a good way to get introduced to the important historical research in the field.  Each study is summarized in detail in the same sections that are usually seen in the primary research - Intro, Theoretical Considerations, Methods, Results, Discussion/Significance of Findings.  

• Like 2

Following up again as I just came upon a new resource that I am going to use in my AP Psychology Course at Athena's (hope I am allowed to mention that)http://sciencecases.lib.buffalo.edu/cs/collection/?fbclid=IwAR2m-csnLO0ErgWhKBN_uPaMEkFKGYHuAVG66apkCPJgK8sIo47vv-tYBvg . Type psychology into the keyword search and you can even select the level.   It looks to be an awesome resource.  Hope this helps!  Take care🙂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Koala17 said:

Try the book 40 Studies that Changed Psychology by Roger Hock. It will give her very good background about the research that has shaped the field of psychology.

I am a psychologist and now a homeschooling parent who teaches online high school psychology classes.  Peer-reviewed articles will likely be rather challenging to start with, even for a very advanced 13-year-old. 

My goodness, that looks perfect!

Huge multiple thank yous to you 🌻

• Like 1