Menu

Foreign Language transcript question

Hello-

My son is a rising senior and has completed through Spanish IV. He is doing a one month full time language immersion internship in South America this summer and I am wondering what you would do with that on a transcript. I think the options are- advanced Spanish conversation, Spanish V, Spanish immersion, etc. Another option would be not to award credit at all and include it as an extracurricular choice?

What would you do? Thanks!

My DD is doing something kind of like what you are describing but will have graduated already, so I am not including it anywhere. If she would have done it prior to senior year, I would have included it as an extra curricular activity.

If he continues with Spanish senior year (which I assume he will?), I would make sure his teacher/tutor adjusts for his higher proficiency level in the fall. I hope he has a great time!

I would include it with the extracurricular activities.  It shows his interest in Spanish was enough to actually DO something with it, without it being a school requirement.  I've never heard of a language immersion internship.  What will he be doing?  

A full month immersion is an amazing experience! Will it include any language school? I would not hesitate to offer a semester or even a year worth of Spanish Conversation or Spanish immersion experience if he will be doing language school or primarily speaking the language while there. In college we had a Spanish course that met a handful of times during the semester but was primarily a week of language school in Costa Rica. A month is definitely worth a semester credit and maybe a year depending on how much he will speak in the target language. I would definitely add it to the senior year transcript. However, I can't imagine stopping language learning at that point! What a treasure to have 4 years and an immersion experience! Maybe he could at least continue some kind of conversation practice for senior year. If you add that you can definitely call it a full Spanish Conversation credit. I hope he has a marvelous time!