Menu

All state or national orchestras

13 minutes ago, Margaret in CO said:

In CO we could. However, by kid #2 the ps music teachers would let a kid audition, but then not pick the hs kids. We gave up after a few years. We also ran into a problem with having their "home" orchestra be the college orchestra (where my kids played--our ps only has band). In the end, we decided it wasn't worth it, though several of the girls enjoyed it. I heard Barber's Adagio for Strings the other day, and it brought me back when dd was Principal Second. Good times. 

So it’s PS teachers who pick, not the outside judge? 

We are in CA and I can’t figure anything out. Mine would love to make a national orchestra one day. I would hate to put him in school just for this opportunity.

Back in the day, my orchestra director spouted off about homeschool students participating in All State orchestra — because HE, a ps teacher, paid the association fees which enabled participation in the conference.  

I just knew the homeschool gal’s presence made me practice my butt off.  Imagine that.  Musicians inspiring each other.  Crazy!  

• Like 1

In my area, there is a private school that has opened their orchestras to homeschoolers and those students are eligible to audition for regional (and state) from that orchestra. Is that an option for you? 

On 5/14/2019 at 6:50 PM, Doodlebug said:

Back in the day, my orchestra director spouted off about homeschool students participating in All State orchestra — because HE, a ps teacher, paid the association fees which enabled participation in the conference.  

I just knew the homeschool gal’s presence made me practice my butt off.  Imagine that.  Musicians inspiring each other.  Crazy!  

And usually when homeschooled kids participate, it’s because their private teacher pays those same association dues. Usually you have to have a sponsoring instructor. If anything, the instructor for the homeschoolers probably has fewer students so is paying proportionally more per kid. 

• Like 2

On 5/14/2019 at 7:23 PM, Margaret in CO said:

In CO we could. However, by kid #2 the ps music teachers would let a kid audition at https://au.edubirdie.com/write-my-essay-australia, but then not pick the hs kids. We gave up after a few years. We also ran into a problem with having their "home" orchestra be the college orchestra (where my kids played--our ps only has band). In the end, we decided it wasn't worth it, though several of the girls enjoyed it. I heard Barber's Adagio for Strings the other day, and it brought me back when dd was Principal Second. Good times. 

It's not pleasant not to pass the audition.

My area has a city youth orchestra that is open to everyone.  At the high school level it is fairly competitive as you have the best of the best from all the schools in the region.  I’m not familiar with how all state orchestra works in my area. 

I do know that with sports homeschoolers can participate against public schools, but if your coach hasn’t paid the state athletic association fee, you can’t participate in the state championships.  The sports fee isn’t outrageous, but you do also have to attend some yearly trainings. I would assume all state orchestra operates in a similar  way. 

• Like 1

I don't have experience with orchestra, but I have many years with All State Choruses.  Some All States organizations require for the child to be enrolled in a school orchestra, but others don't.  Some schools/districts will "sponsor" children to audition, but others won't.  It's really not universal, even within the same state, so I'm sure you won't be able to get a universal answer here on the board.  I'd recommend talking to a community based youth orchestra director, if you have one, to see if it's possible for them to sponsor your child.  If they won't (or aren't allowed to), maybe they know of a school who will.

• Like 2

On 5/20/2019 at 3:31 PM, dmmetler said:

In my area, there is a private school that has opened their orchestras to homeschoolers and those students are eligible to audition for regional (and state) from that orchestra. Is that an option for you? 

I wish, but no, no access.

Mine does play in city youth orchestra, so one would think he would be content. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Roadrunner said:

I wish, but no, no access.

Mine does play in city youth orchestra, so one would think he would be content. 

Does the city director have a state MEA/MTA membership? If so, they may be able to sign off and sponsor your son, even if most of the city orchestra members are sponsored by their schools. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, dmmetler said:

Does the city director have a state MEA/MTA membership? If so, they may be able to sign off and sponsor your son, even if most of the city orchestra members are sponsored by their schools. 

I am going to ask. Thank you.