Menu

What's with the ads?

Roadrunner

All state or national orchestras

In CO we could. However, by kid #2 the ps music teachers would let a kid audition, but then not pick the hs kids. We gave up after a few years. We also ran into a problem with having their "home" orchestra be the college orchestra (where my kids played--our ps only has band). In the end, we decided it wasn't worth it, though several of the girls enjoyed it. I heard Barber's Adagio for Strings the other day, and it brought me back when dd was Principal Second. Good times. 

13 minutes ago, Margaret in CO said:

In CO we could. However, by kid #2 the ps music teachers would let a kid audition, but then not pick the hs kids. We gave up after a few years. We also ran into a problem with having their "home" orchestra be the college orchestra (where my kids played--our ps only has band). In the end, we decided it wasn't worth it, though several of the girls enjoyed it. I heard Barber's Adagio for Strings the other day, and it brought me back when dd was Principal Second. Good times. 

So it’s PS teachers who pick, not the outside judge? 

We are in CA and I can’t figure anything out. Mine would love to make a national orchestra one day. I would hate to put him in school just for this opportunity.

Have you googled your state's rules?  Some states allow homeschoolers to participate, but with very specific requirements.  

• Like 1

Back in the day, my orchestra director spouted off about homeschool students participating in All State orchestra — because HE, a ps teacher, paid the association fees which enabled participation in the conference.  

I just knew the homeschool gal’s presence made me practice my butt off.  Imagine that.  Musicians inspiring each other.  Crazy!  

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Roadrunner said:

So it’s PS teachers who pick, not the outside judge? 

We are in CA and I can’t figure anything out. Mine would love to make a national orchestra one day. I would hate to put him in school just for this opportunity.

Yes, that is how they were picked, but this was a long time ago. In CO. 

• Like 1