Menu

Latin for 2nd and 4th grade?

Janeway

What can I realistically use for Latin for both grades at once? Also, 2nd grader is very eager for work (but would rather be doing French) and 4th grader actually wants to do Latin, but is not an eager worker. Can this even be combined?

Getting Started With Latin?  It's pretty tame.  We did it in 2nd.  If that looks like too much, I'd do Latin's Not So Tough.  The books are meant to start young, so I'd get the first three levels for the year (level 1: sounds, level 2: words, level 3: sentences).  Your 4th grader might progress further than the 2nd grader if it starts getting difficult.

I used Latin for Children A when my son was 3rd. He did Song Song School prior to that. If 2nd grader is going into 3rd, LFC is definitely doable especially the revised version. You can just go slower if you need to. My son is going to move on to Latin Alive this year with his Latin teacher because he is ready.

• Like 1

We did LFC starting in 4th for my youngest (5th for my oldest). Oldest skipped LFC-C and did Latin Alive 1. Youngest is doing LFC-C. 

That said, I just picked up First Form Latin Book Four and I love the format.  LFC made sense since we had done Song School, but if you expect to be doing Latin through high school level, it really does make sense to look at both programs.