Menu

What's with the ads?

Kassia

Online C++ Class recommendation needed (or book?)

Looking for a thorough C++ class online or even a good book with projects/assignments

Edited by Kassia
  • Like 1

Have you considered taking a MOOC course? Free or paid?  There are a lot of excellent MOOC courses available, on a huge variety of subjects.  I googled for you. This blurb was at the top:

C++ MOOCs and Free Online Courses
  • C++ For C Programmers, Part A (Coursera) ...
  • C++ For C Programmers, Part B (Coursera) ...
  • C++程序设计 (Coursera) ...
  • Introduction à la programmation orientée objet (en C++) (Coursera) ...
  • Initiation à la programmation (en C++) (Coursera) ...
  • Introduction to C++ (edX) ...
  • Programming Basics (edX) ...
  • Implementation of Data Structures (edX)

https://www.mooc-list.com/tags/c-1

I am signed up on Coursera and on Canvas.net but there are other platforms you should also look into.

• Thanks 1

Has she already taken Java or Python? FundaFunda has a one semester Python class. They run it in the summer, but I think it is different in the summer??

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Lanny said:

Have you considered taking a MOOC course? Free or paid?  There are a lot of excellent MOOC courses available, on a huge variety of subjects.  I googled for you. 

Thanks, but I was hoping to get recommendations from someone who has taken a course/gone through a book.

25 minutes ago, RootAnn said:

Has she already taken Java or Python? FundaFunda has a one semester Python class. They run it in the summer, but I think it is different in the summer??

She wants to take C++ to get out of a prerequisite for when she starts college next year.  She doesn't need credit for the class but will have to pass a proficiency test to get into the class she wants to start in.  She's done some C++ on her own but wants something more thorough so that she doesn't move on to the next class without a good foundation.  

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, mumto2 said:

My Dd needed proof also and did the C++ at Saylor.  You receive a free certificate.  I think you may be able to pay for a ptoctured final and receive ACE credit. https://learn.saylor.org/course/index.php?categoryid=9 

I guess my post wasn't clear.  She doesn't need proof, just the knowledge to get out of the prerequisite class when she starts at the university.  I'm not familiar with Saylor - how much would the class be?  I couldn't find a price on the website.  Thank you for the info and the link! 

ETA - I think the courses are free?  That's amazing!

Edited by Kassia
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Kassia said:

I guess my post wasn't clear.  She doesn't need proof, just the knowledge to get out of the prerequisite class when she starts at the university.  I'm not familiar with Saylor - how much would the class be?  I couldn't find a price on the website.  Thank you for the info and the link! 

ETA - I think the courses are free?  That's amazing!

Yes, free!  All the reading assignments are on the web.  I believe there are usually multiple options for each section.  My kids have found Saylor really useful.

8 minutes ago, mumto2 said:

Yes, free!  All the reading assignments are on the web.  I believe there are usually multiple options for each section.  My kids have found Saylor really useful.

Thanks so much!  This looks great.

• Like 2