Menu

What's with the ads?

Is there a thread already? I didn't see one.

I'm pretty disappointed that despite confirming the price like 3x, we got a bill for the hearing test for ds and it was twice what we were quoted. Which is still a low price compared to going elsewhere... but it's the principle. They told us Medicaid pricing, $25 if that. The bill is $55. So of course now I'm doubting their quotes on the APD test. Dh and I agreed to postpone that til the new flex spending plan cycle. We literally breezed through the rest of the flex card in the past couple weeks when Dh went to the ER, dd needed an x-ray, and dh went to a couple dr visits.

We never got reimbursed for the tow so I contacted the auto insurance company today. I don't know who dh emailed last time but this rep said she'd handle it and she never saw an email about it. That will be $100 we could really use.

Hopefully I find out this week about the job. I'm also investigating ways to make VIPKID work, but dh and I are apprehensive about it. I just don't know how I can do it with dd in the house so that very much limits any class slots. She's notorious for interrupting and needing me at the worst times. Today I told her I was getting on the phone (auto insurance company) and she starts freaking out in the background that she saw a flying bug LOL. Good grief.

My boss asked me to get info online about GED classes so I can help get the classes set up for the ESL students this summer. I have no idea what she wants. I sent her a link to steps on the GED process. I thought I'd just show up and help with material, but now I'm thinking I'll have to do a lot of the legwork to get the program off the ground since she's not a native English speaker or native to America. I am not sure what they need from me, though. For the after school tutoring, this is our final week. I am going to offer to pick up a second shift this week since dh is on summer hours, but I don't know if they'll need me. I don't know if the kids are still taking home homework packets this late in the year. Ds is doing hardly anything at school and these last couple weeks are just dragging. He has to go until May 22 but only has one test left to take and they have a class night this week.

We've spent entirely too much lately. Eating out, etc.

Don't blame you if you skimmed that, haha.

What's going on with you?

Edited by heartlikealion
  • Like 3

I am so mad for you about the hearing test.  UGH.   It annoys me that at the dentist they can tell you how much everything will cost with your insurance.  But for medical they either can't or won't.   Why can't everything be simple?

Are there hours when your dd is sleeping that you could work for VIPkid?  I was thinking about it, but right now I am not going to pursue it.  My youngest is waking up at 6-7 am.  I was thinking of working Fri, Sat, Sunday nights.  But I am a person who needs 8 plus hours of sleep.  

I think DH is going to grad school soon, so I just don't want to put a more on my plate.  As I assume him going to grad school will put more on my schedule.  

Fingers crossed about the job.  

We still haven't gotten the accident stuff figured out.  Back and forth with insurance. 

It is recital season here, so lots of spending on that.   It is always some sort of season with dance that requires more $.   Audition season, Nutcracker, other shows, Intensives season,and on and on.  I have spent so much on dance stuff this week.   I need to figure out our summer schedule badly.  I also need to just pull triggers on some vacations.  

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

There isn't a whole lot going on here.  Mother's day is over, thankfully, but I ended up spending way too much money on various cold medicines because 3 of us got sick and nobody can/will use the same form, size, or taste of otc meds.  But we are now restocked and hopefully I won't catch it, too.

A few towns over is having their used curriculum sale next month, and we're having a swap here.  I'm hoping to pick up the few things on my list used.  At the very least, I'm hoping to find 1-2 of the novels we'll be using.

• Like 2

Hello all.  We are back from vacation, which ended up being quite a bit less frugal than I had hoped for, but enjoyable.  Our first hotel had a "kitchenette", which had a sink, fridge, microwave, toaster, and two ceramic coffee mugs.  We managed to figure out a few meals that we could make with that set-up, a bit more expensive/less healthy than home-cooking but cheaper than restaurant dining:

- Rotisserie chicken (we were near a Costco and Target), microwavable instant rice, salad, fruit
- Pre-cooked Italian sausages/hot dogs, instant mashed potatoes (DH loves these but only gets them on vacation, lol), salad, fruit
- Microwave scrambled eggs in a mug, pre-cooked bacon, steam-in-bag sweet potatoes, toast, fruit

They were kind of light meals, but despite all the walking none of us had much of an increased appetite.  We also had sandwich fixings, yogurt, and chips/salsa.  The second part of our trip had more dining out.  I'm very glad to be home with a fully stocked kitchen.  Aldi, I missed you so much.

The kids are sick with that late-season, shot-ignoring flu virus, so I'm going to use this week to stay home and get caught up on school hour tracking stuff, budgeting, from-scratch cooking, and looking for sales on the curriculum we need for next school year.  Hopefully we are all recovered by next week, as we are planning on doing a "money and budgeting" unit study, capped off by a garage and bake sale.

• Like 3

This is wordy so I'm just going to summarize below each paragraph hah

I tried to track down old proof of purchases from the pharmacy to straighten out our flex spending card, but because of a HIPPA rule (the receipt would be considered a medical record and the prescription was for dh last month), I wasn't able to get that Walmart receipt. The other pharmacy gave me something which I know I can use even if I have to pair it with a paper receipt I have from that transaction, but with WM I had nothing as dh accidentally threw away both the receipt and the paper that came with the prescription that shows price/patient name/drug. BUT I figured out a solution. It's been several days since I spoke to one of the dr offices (bills were pending on their end) and now the bills are out so I am able to log in and make a payment with my debit card (this is one of the small bills) and use the electronic receipt as proof of payment. I've done just that and will combine with two low cost prescriptions. They will total the $31 I needed to reactivate our card from an accidental overswipe. Then I can start making payments on the bigger bills on the flex card... which I'll have to sort out into smaller payments for some. 

Key takeaway: I should have the flex card reactivated today I think. (I know, it's taking me forever. Things just got complicated)

Good news. Last night was supposed to be my last part-time tutoring night for the ESL kids (because the program ends this week). But, apparently they want to continue the program for the teenagers and the man that is normally in that room is not able to commit to summer hours. I was asked if I'd take over that class and I said sure. I have worked with the teens a few times, but some days you're in there with no students that speak much English at all. I was able to find out what they had been doing with the man by speaking directly to him and now I have a much clearer idea of what things we can go over. He gave them lots of vocabulary and said the students have copies of it. A lot of the things are what you'd teach a young child (colors, numbers, clothing pieces, seasons, months, conversational things like age, etc.) Now aside from working with the teens I am supposed to help if they have a young adult GED class, but the timeline on that is up in the air so this means I'll at least have guaranteed work right away. I normally just work one day a week but so long as dh doesn't suddenly have to work nights over summer (he said that's up in the air because he doesn't know when he'll be asked to work Thursdays. Could be summer, could be fall) I've agreed to the Tues/Thurs. schedule. I let my boss know about the potential hiccup. If that happens, I'll see if they're willing to do a Mon/Wed class instead or something. I gathered some info on GED prep books and gave it to her to see if she wants to browse some and possibly have some ordered, but I personally don't know what books are the best. I told her we could read Amazon reviews. 

Key takeaway: I will teach 2x a week starting next week (yay). If they get a GED program set up it might be on weekends. After summer, though, I don't know if they'll have any programs. I know the elem. one is not supposed to reopen. The wear and tear and gas for the car isn't great, but I will still make a profit. 

As for VIPKID, dd is unpredictable so I don't think I could risk teaching while she's asleep. She has been known to crawl out of bed and find me when I have gotten up to use the restroom in the wee hours of the night or early morning. I could just see her doing that while I was trying to teach a class! "Mom, come back to bed." LOL Now if I could do VIPKID after tutoring that might work (away from the house, with a portable device) but I don't know where. I don't think it'd be ethical to stay in the church's trailer after ESL tutoring to do my personal tutoring/using their lights and building. Not t hat anyone suggested that. And I couldn't drive to a McDonald's or something. I think that would be too unprofessional and disruptive and awkward lol. Does anyone do VIPKID outdoors (I know a car wouldn't make sense either lol). Outdoors would be a gamble too, with weather. I asked dh if I should try to make the little storage area in the carport into my VIPKID office and he said no way, not with the spiders and stuff. Our carport is partially enclosed with a tiny room attached. 

Key takeaway: VIPKID would probably be too difficult with dd home. I'd have to aim to do it during the fall when she was at PreK if I was home with ds. 

-----------

@mommyoffive yes, having him in grad school may affect your plate. I know right now I'm a little apprehensive about our schedules with dh's schooling. He just finished his first sem. of his doctorate-level classes and will be taking more this summer starting soon. I am trying to get better at meal planning and such and know that some days he'll simply stick around at the office to get homework done uninterrupted there. Is there any way to do exchanges with other families for recital items in the future? 

@HomeAgain I hope you find something you can use at that sale! 

@BarbecueMomEating in the hotel is smart. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, heartlikealion said:

This is wordy so I'm just going to summarize below each paragraph hah

I tried to track down old proof of purchases from the pharmacy to straighten out our flex spending card, but because of a HIPPA rule (the receipt would be considered a medical record and the prescription was for dh last month), I wasn't able to get that Walmart receipt. The other pharmacy gave me something which I know I can use even if I have to pair it with a paper receipt I have from that transaction, but with WM I had nothing as dh accidentally threw away both the receipt and the paper that came with the prescription that shows price/patient name/drug. BUT I figured out a solution. It's been several days since I spoke to one of the dr offices (bills were pending on their end) and now the bills are out so I am able to log in and make a payment with my debit card (this is one of the small bills) and use the electronic receipt as proof of payment. I've done just that and will combine with two low cost prescriptions. They will total the $31 I needed to reactivate our card from an accidental overswipe. Then I can start making payments on the bigger bills on the flex card... which I'll have to sort out into smaller payments for some. 

Key takeaway: I should have the flex card reactivated today I think. (I know, it's taking me forever. Things just got complicated)

Good news. Last night was supposed to be my last part-time tutoring night for the ESL kids (because the program ends this week). But, apparently they want to continue the program for the teenagers and the man that is normally in that room is not able to commit to summer hours. I was asked if I'd take over that class and I said sure. I have worked with the teens a few times, but some days you're in there with no students that speak much English at all. I was able to find out what they had been doing with the man by speaking directly to him and now I have a much clearer idea of what things we can go over. He gave them lots of vocabulary and said the students have copies of it. A lot of the things are what you'd teach a young child (colors, numbers, clothing pieces, seasons, months, conversational things like age, etc.) Now aside from working with the teens I am supposed to help if they have a young adult GED class, but the timeline on that is up in the air so this means I'll at least have guaranteed work right away. I normally just work one day a week but so long as dh doesn't suddenly have to work nights over summer (he said that's up in the air because he doesn't know when he'll be asked to work Thursdays. Could be summer, could be fall) I've agreed to the Tues/Thurs. schedule. I let my boss know about the potential hiccup. If that happens, I'll see if they're willing to do a Mon/Wed class instead or something. I gathered some info on GED prep books and gave it to her to see if she wants to browse some and possibly have some ordered, but I personally don't know what books are the best. I told her we could read Amazon reviews. 

Key takeaway: I will teach 2x a week starting next week (yay). If they get a GED program set up it might be on weekends. After summer, though, I don't know if they'll have any programs. I know the elem. one is not supposed to reopen. The wear and tear and gas for the car isn't great, but I will still make a profit. 

As for VIPKID, dd is unpredictable so I don't think I could risk teaching while she's asleep. She has been known to crawl out of bed and find me when I have gotten up to use the restroom in the wee hours of the night or early morning. I could just see her doing that while I was trying to teach a class! "Mom, come back to bed." LOL Now if I could do VIPKID after tutoring that might work (away from the house, with a portable device) but I don't know where. I don't think it'd be ethical to stay in the church's trailer after ESL tutoring to do my personal tutoring/using their lights and building. Not t hat anyone suggested that. And I couldn't drive to a McDonald's or something. I think that would be too unprofessional and disruptive and awkward lol. Does anyone do VIPKID outdoors (I know a car wouldn't make sense either lol). Outdoors would be a gamble too, with weather. I asked dh if I should try to make the little storage area in the carport into my VIPKID office and he said no way, not with the spiders and stuff. Our carport is partially enclosed with a tiny room attached. 

Key takeaway: VIPKID would probably be too difficult with dd home. I'd have to aim to do it during the fall when she was at PreK if I was home with ds. 

-----------

@mommyoffive yes, having him in grad school may affect your plate. I know right now I'm a little apprehensive about our schedules with dh's schooling. He just finished his first sem. of his doctorate-level classes and will be taking more this summer starting soon. I am trying to get better at meal planning and such and know that some days he'll simply stick around at the office to get homework done uninterrupted there. Is there any way to do exchanges with other families for recital items in the future? 

@HomeAgain I hope you find something you can use at that sale! 

@BarbecueMomEating in the hotel is smart. 

Your little one sounds like all my little ones.  Unpredictable.   Glad I am not the only one.  I know people say they do it with babies and stuff.  I just don't think that would work for our family.   My youngest two do wake up and come find dh or I .  Even last night was a horrible night with my youngest.  Thinking it was growing pains in her legs that kept waking her up all night.   I think I was up 6 times with her and then up at 4 am to give some meds.  I just don't think I can do anything else.  My children's extra curricular takes tons of time and energy for me.  

1 hour ago, mommyoffive said:

Your little one sounds like all my little ones.  Unpredictable.   Glad I am not the only one.  I know people say they do it with babies and stuff.  I just don't think that would work for our family.   My youngest two do wake up and come find dh or I .  Even last night was a horrible night with my youngest.  Thinking it was growing pains in her legs that kept waking her up all night.   I think I was up 6 times with her and then up at 4 am to give some meds.  I just don't think I can do anything else.  My children's extra curricular takes tons of time and energy for me.  

Exactly. I don't know how other families do it, but it's hard for me to imagine. A girlfriend of mine does it and has a younger child than me. She may not need as much sleep as me, but she's not getting enough. She shared her link and I told her if I signed up I'd do it under hers so she'd get the referral bonus. She bought my guitar and helped me resell my theater tickets when dd was sick and we couldn't go. We were supposed to meet to look at the dashboard on her account together, but she doesn't have the same availability she did in the past (we met up in the evening once). She can only meet certain hours during the day and I can't leave dd at the sitter go to meet with her because the sitter here takes summers off apparently. She only watches children of school employees here and about a week ago told me it was her last day for now. Dh works summers, unlike many of the school employees, so that makes it hard for me to do things without her. I could probably go through the VIPKID process without meeting with her, but I'm uncertain right now. Literally the only times I see myself able to do it is August-Nov. like 8:30-9am before the time changes again and while dd is out of the house. Once the time time changes it'd be even harder for me to be available during China's peak hours. I don't know how many classes you have to teach for them to get their referral. Maybe just one?

I hope your girl feels better. The growing pains are awful.

Whatever materials I make for the ESL students I would hopefully be able to pair with VIPKID lessons, if that ever happens. I wonder if her account will show me the powerpoint slides so I'd have a better understanding of how much material is required to cover per slide.

ibotta added Walmart grocery pickup to the list. I'll have to consider using that next time I have a Walmart stop. I wish I could find dh's recent receipt. I know the bread he bought is an ibotta offer.

• Like 1

I drove around on Sunday and collected my freebies/almost freebies. Fun shopping with less than $5. 

Kids were invited to movies; we used a gift card my mom gave us for their tickets, so $0. I then drove to Kohl's and used $20 Kohl's cash. I got a robe and pj's for middle DD, and a gift pack of bath bombs for youngest (stocking stuffer) - out of pocket $1.67. Then, I stopped at Bath and Body Works and got a free body wash (stocking stuffer). Ran next door to Justice, since I had reward $$. I got 3 pairs of panties for youngest (out of pocket $.96) and they gave me a free tote (which middle is using for Tae Kwon Do stuff). Finally, stopped at a new little lumber store (like a small home depot) and used a $5 off coupon for signing up with their rewards system and got 4 furnace filters - out of pocket $1.49. 

That's my kind of shopping.

Regarding VIPKid: I've looked at it and thought about it and studied Youtube videos and thought about it, etc. I have a child with PTSD who is unpredictable, so I just don't know that I can block out a specific time. Their cancellation policy could be a problem if I end up with a raging kid and I have multiple classes booked for the day. I'm also kind of worried that they might be over-hiring and it would be hard to get noticed because it seems like it is THE thing to do. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, heartlikealion said:

Exactly. I don't know how other families do it, but it's hard for me to imagine. A girlfriend of mine does it and has a younger child than me. She may not need as much sleep as me, but she's not getting enough. She shared her link and I told her if I signed up I'd do it under hers so she'd get the referral bonus. She bought my guitar and helped me resell my theater tickets when dd was sick and we couldn't go. We were supposed to meet to look at the dashboard on her account together, but she doesn't have the same availability she did in the past (we met up in the evening once). She can only meet certain hours during the day and I can't leave dd at the sitter go to meet with her because the sitter here takes summers off apparently. She only watches children of school employees here and about a week ago told me it was her last day for now. Dh works summers, unlike many of the school employees, so that makes it hard for me to do things without her. I could probably go through the VIPKID process without meeting with her, but I'm uncertain right now. Literally the only times I see myself able to do it is August-Nov. like 8:30-9am before the time changes again and while dd is out of the house. Once the time time changes it'd be even harder for me to be available during China's peak hours. I don't know how many classes you have to teach for them to get their referral. Maybe just one?

I hope your girl feels better. The growing pains are awful.

Whatever materials I make for the ESL students I would hopefully be able to pair with VIPKID lessons, if that ever happens. I wonder if her account will show me the powerpoint slides so I'd have a better understanding of how much material is required to cover per slide.

ibotta added Walmart grocery pickup to the list. I'll have to consider using that next time I have a Walmart stop. I wish I could find dh's recent receipt. I know the bread he bought is an ibotta offer.

Yes, when I was really thinking of doing it I was watching youtube videos of people who do it.  One was great (Nancy Taylor).   She has 2 little kids.   I think she started when her oldest was a baby.  Then she was pg and had a newborn and was doing it.  She would teach in the morning and listen for the newborn to wake up.   Take a few mins in the middle of lesson and put back to sleep.   Uh maybe one of my kids would have done that as a baby.  Not the other 4.  Plus I would have been way to tired getting up with newborn to be able to get up at 4 or 5.  And then there are the parents of a bunch of kids who do it and they say their kids take care of each other.  They just know to not bother them.   They would do for a little bit and then there would be fights, yelling, crying.   I could only do it when dh was hear to handle things.  Maybe in the future it will be more something that I can do. 

3 hours ago, beckyjo said:

I drove around on Sunday and collected my freebies/almost freebies. Fun shopping with less than $5. 

Kids were invited to movies; we used a gift card my mom gave us for their tickets, so $0. I then drove to Kohl's and used $20 Kohl's cash. I got a robe and pj's for middle DD, and a gift pack of bath bombs for youngest (stocking stuffer) - out of pocket $1.67. Then, I stopped at Bath and Body Works and got a free body wash (stocking stuffer). Ran next door to Justice, since I had reward $$. I got 3 pairs of panties for youngest (out of pocket $.96) and they gave me a free tote (which middle is using for Tae Kwon Do stuff). Finally, stopped at a new little lumber store (like a small home depot) and used a $5 off coupon for signing up with their rewards system and got 4 furnace filters - out of pocket $1.49. 

That's my kind of shopping.

Regarding VIPKid: I've looked at it and thought about it and studied Youtube videos and thought about it, etc. I have a child with PTSD who is unpredictable, so I just don't know that I can block out a specific time. Their cancellation policy could be a problem if I end up with a raging kid and I have multiple classes booked for the day. I'm also kind of worried that they might be over-hiring and it would be hard to get noticed because it seems like it is THE thing to do. 

Wow on all the great shopping deals.   That is awesome.  I miss doing that.    Look at you go girl getting the stocking stuffers now. 

Yeah the cancellation policy would be hard for me to.  Dh travels.  The kids get sick.  I get sick too.  I would hate to have to teach on those days.   I have heard that people think they have over hired and they don't get many bookings. 

I just was at our walmart and these were marked to $1

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Great-Value-Daily-Boost-Trail-Mix-22-Oz/795543036

• Like 1

I sometimes follow these threads but haven’t posted before. I am mostly being frugal because it’s a good habit and to keep savings up for emergencies, not because we have pressing needs right now.

Anyway, my boys are in public school and we never did get school pictures because the bare minimum we could spend to get enough for all the grandparents and great grandparents was $60. I finally got around to taking my own with my cell phone this weekend and ordered prints today - under $10 for pictures of the boys and my DD. It was a pain but in the end worth it.

• Like 2

Oh yeah, if anyone will need composition books next year, I bought some this week for $0.49 at Office Max. From the website it looks like they’re still on sale.

• Like 2

I wish we had an Office Max near us!  Our closest is an hour away.

DS has requested to drop in-person music lessons next year when I told him I'd like him to switch to a teacher that also does group lessons. He's getting to the point where he needs to learn how to play with others and I know I've spoke before about how his teacher isn't proving to be the best fit for him at this moment. He didn't like the nearby teachers, but wants to return to a 4x/week online option.  That'll save us about $90 month starting in September.  He'll play 20 minutes with a group/individual portion and have assessments individually at least monthly.  If he misses a live class he can catch it later in the recorded videos.  We'll see how it goes and then reassess after a few months.

Today is clean out the fridge and grocery shopping day!  Yay.  LOL  We actually did pretty well on leftovers and not wasting food.  I stopped Blue Apron because it's too unpredictable once the summer folks start clogging up the roads.  I'm hoping to keep us to under $150 this week, if we plan right.

Dh bought me a Fitbit for Mother's day, which was very sweet but I quickly ran into a problem with it. For as much as my body has done the middle-age spread, it hasn't done a thing to my skinny wrists.  I am on my second band (with a third coming) because I can't get it small enough to fit properly.  The sides have a definite gap because the top doesn't bend, and so it slides back and forth.  And no, I can't move down to the children's version.  It's nearly as wide, but doesn't have all the features.

• Like 2

I don't normally join in since we have been spending "like we have money" lately with all the house stuff.

We were taking showings as a time to go get some dinner, but we have curtailed the eating out as much because we really do want to save some $$ on that front.  

But I am thankful.  We paid cash to get the house ready to sell, almost $7k when all was said and done, windows replaced, boards fascha (not sure how you spell that) replaced, front porch extensive repair, cleaning and decluttering/staging, and some other repairs.    

We don't spend my salary for regular living expenses.  We had lived on DH's salary for so long that when my kids started college, I was able to just put it in the bank and that is our college fund.  There is some surplus, but I don't spend it without a reason (not for general living and not for anything we don't actually need.) . 

I would like to get back to a regular budget though, for a variety of reasons, one being our mortgage payments may go up and we will need to budget a little more.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, HomeAgain said:

DS has requested to drop in-person music lessons next year when I told him I'd like him to switch to a teacher that also does group lessons. He's getting to the point where he needs to learn how to play with others and I know I've spoke before about how his teacher isn't proving to be the best fit for him at this moment. He didn't like the nearby teachers, but wants to return to a 4x/week online option.  That'll save us about $90 month starting in September.  He'll play 20 minutes with a group/individual portion and have assessments individually at least monthly.  If he misses a live class he can catch it later in the recorded videos.  We'll see how it goes and then reassess after a few months.

Today is clean out the fridge and grocery shopping day!  Yay.  LOL  We actually did pretty well on leftovers and not wasting food.  I stopped Blue Apron because it's too unpredictable once the summer folks start clogging up the roads.  I'm hoping to keep us to under $150 this week, if we plan right.

Dh bought me a Fitbit for Mother's day, which was very sweet but I quickly ran into a problem with it. For as much as my body has done the middle-age spread, it hasn't done a thing to my skinny wrists.  I am on my second band (with a third coming) because I can't get it small enough to fit properly.  The sides have a definite gap because the top doesn't bend, and so it slides back and forth.  And no, I can't move down to the children's version.  It's nearly as wide, but doesn't have all the features.

I don’t know about the Fitbit, I have a cheap knockoff fitness bracelet, but I know skinny wrists. My knockoff just slides around because it’s so loose, but it seems to work fine anyway. I don’t use it for heart rate monitoring though; might make a difference for that.

eta: do you have an Office Depot? I think they’re actually the same company now and have the same sales.

Edited by emba56
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, HomeAgain said:

Yay for the music savings.   What company is that through?  Is it only certain instruments?

• Like 1

My boss just texted me that they won’t continue the program with teens ovet summer afterall. She said she’ll contact me about GED classes when that happens. 

I have a nagging feeling I may not hear about the Catholic school job this week and will have to wait til next week. They said 2 weeks, which is today, but I am not taking it too literally. Also, I don’t think they have contacted any of my references so that may or may not be a bad sign. 

I got our flex card fixed and started making medical payments where I could online. I’ll pay some today by phone. 

I looked into other jobs within the diocese but the main one that caught my eye requires lots of travel. I looked to see how many parishes are in the diocese and it’s over 90. I’m not even going to apply lol 

3 hours ago, mommyoffive said:

I have one of the 50% off RW plans.  My son uses it at college.  We are switching him back to our plan this summer.  It keeps glitching and he has reset the phone completely, which drives him crazy.  YMMV.

And you do need a work address from a school, K-college, with proof of a job at a school to get it, so it isn't available to HSers.

7 hours ago, mommyoffive said:

Yay for the music savings.   What company is that through?  Is it only certain instruments?

It is PracticeMonkeys.  Only violin and I think piano now, too, but he ended up liking most of it (not the chanting, though).  I bought a year's subscription through HSBC last year and the lessons are short enough and kept interesting.  Now that he is older he can do the evening live classes, I think.  Before he would tire out and we'd do them first thing in the morning when he was at his most energetic.

I wish we had an

8 hours ago, emba56 said:

I don’t know about the Fitbit, I have a cheap knockoff fitness bracelet, but I know skinny wrists. My knockoff just slides around because it’s so loose, but it seems to work fine anyway. I don’t use it for heart rate monitoring though; might make a difference for that.

eta: do you have an Office Depot? I think they’re actually the same company now and have the same sales.

Yeah..it's the heart rate I'm using it for along with the rest.  Oh well.

We have no big box stores near of us any kind, other than a regional grocery store and hardware store.  This area prides itself on being very mom & pop and unique, so it's a drive to get to any major retailer.

But we're getting a Target three towns over in time for the fall!  😁

• Like 1

How are you all doing?

I had a frugal win here today.  My youngest begged for a pair of shoes last month when we went to replace his old ones.  These things are ugly, but they're what all his friends have and in the price range we were willing to spend, so we caved.  Well, in addition to being ugly they also have been the worst shoes we've ever bought.  The laces never stay tied because they're the round rope laces.  They don't stay clean. And then today we were walking around and one of the tabs that holds the lace popped off.  It was seriously tempting to just buy him a pair at the thrift store we were browsing at and throw his favorite pair in the trash.
But I didn't.
We went home and I remembered an old pair of flat lime green laces I had tucked away.  And yes, they match these ugly shoes and are just the right length.  I broke out my needle and thread and did an invisible strong set of stitches to hold the tab back on.  5 minutes later my kid is off and running around again.  I'm hoping these will last until he outgrows them...hopefully that's fast, but at least now I don't have to worry about them falling off him!

• Like 3

We're doing terribly this month, but know we have to shape up. I hate wasting food and I ended up having to toss some food that didn't get eaten (fast food was brought home, the chicken defrosted and wasn't cooked in time, etc.). I bet those eggs I got around Easter are all beyond salvaging, but I'll look at them and do a water test to be sure. We didn't boil that many eggs for Easter and we haven't eaten scrambled eggs, etc. in a while. 

I got confirmation today that I did not get the last job I interviewed for. I met with my friend to discuss VIPkid a few days ago (I just brought dd with me). I honestly am not sure if it's possible for me to work VIPkid into my life or not. Dh's money from teaching all goes straight to paying for his doctorate classes. I bought some dressy clothes recently, partly for interview, potential job, and to have some more church clothes. I don't regret the purchases, though. The clothes came from Ross, JCP, and Kohl's so a mix of sales and/or coupons. 

I used dh's ebates account to trigger the referral bonus. In the past I had attempted to do it, but for some reason the promo didn't apply or something. Anyway, so this time around I stacked deals where he got a $10 bonus for making a purchase and I got a $25 referral... catch is it won't be available til August when they issue their next pay out. Ok so we gave up on the environmentally friendly cat litter. It stinks, the odor clings to the cat sometimes, tracking might be worse and it was actually more expensive. I placed the ebates order with Chewy (our PetCo didn't have the item in stock and PetSmart wasn't a participating merchant) but to get free shipping I had to order more. It will be worth it in the long-term, though. Today two large bags of litter and some cat treats arrived at my house. 

I spent money on end of the year teacher gifts. I'd like to bring a few homemade treats in, too if I make them in time. Tomorrow is the last day of school. I got the main teachers little gift cards and the other teachers he sees less often little bags of candy. I'll attach a note. 

On the plus side, it was confirmed this week that dd got into the public school preK program for the fall. I think she'll qualify for speech there, too. I had a free speech eval done at the library recently but they didn't let me keep their notes. Basically, determined what I'd been told about a year ago -- that she needs help with articulation. And they specified which sounds were issues and said some were not so serious vs others for her age. They offered a speech camp but I don't feel like I'd get my money's worth and don't have the money right now, anyhow. I mean, I don't know, I just don't know about speech things in group settings ykwim? 

I attempted to start a Teachers Pay Teachers store front, but that may be a flop lol. My first game is free by default and I can't even get anyone to download the FREE one. I shared the link with a bunch of people on facebook. Oh well. You get 55% of your sale,  30 cent fee per transaction and apparently for most states they automatically tax items (which I think is easier than deal with later). Overall, doesn't sound like a good way to much money though. 

7 hours ago, HomeAgain said:

How are you all doing?

I had a frugal win here today.  My youngest begged for a pair of shoes last month when we went to replace his old ones.  These things are ugly, but they're what all his friends have and in the price range we were willing to spend, so we caved.  Well, in addition to being ugly they also have been the worst shoes we've ever bought.  The laces never stay tied because they're the round rope laces.  They don't stay clean. And then today we were walking around and one of the tabs that holds the lace popped off.  It was seriously tempting to just buy him a pair at the thrift store we were browsing at and throw his favorite pair in the trash.
But I didn't.
We went home and I remembered an old pair of flat lime green laces I had tucked away.  And yes, they match these ugly shoes and are just the right length.  I broke out my needle and thread and did an invisible strong set of stitches to hold the tab back on.  5 minutes later my kid is off and running around again.  I'm hoping these will last until he outgrows them...hopefully that's fast, but at least now I don't have to worry about them falling off him!

Oh man, some of my kids' favorite pairs of shoes have been *hideous*.  We don't get much of a say in the available styles when we're given a bag of free shoes, but the ones I like they never wear, and the ones where I'm saying, "You've gotta be kidding me..." they end up loved to pieces.

Curriculum for fall was purchased today, some things used but most not.  I ended up with Kohl's Cash from replacing DH's dress shoes, which I will probably use on a new bed pillow.  DS10 will need new cleats again soon, but we'll start checking the sports resale shop.  If you stare at his feet long enough you can actually see them expanding.

I thought I was done with the non-food consumable stuff for the month, but I will need to stock up on more antacids and tissues.  My Blues are going to the Stanley Cup Final.  I've literally waited my whole life for this, but the stress is really doing a number on my stomach.

Oh Heart I am sorry you didn't get the job.  

I was talking to a mom friend of mine tonight and she works at home grading test for Pearson and ETS.  Have you thought about that?    Will your dd going to school help at all?  Could you get a job while she is in school? 

We haven't even been close to frugal.   My gosh our bills are large this month.   Dance recital all last weekend.  Another one coming in 2 weeks.   Costumes fees for that.   All new shoes for all kids.  Odd is really dancing on pointe now.  Dame pointe shoes are going to cost us a fortune.  Paid our monthly tuition at one place they dance.  For the 4 older kids it is more than our grocery budget. 

I need to commit to dance intensives and pay for them.  

Dh jumped on some tickets to Japan for spring break.  It was a great deal. I guess we will save some money because the kids won't be able to be in the spring ballet at their ballet school.   I have wanted to go to Japan since college.  I can't wait.  Funny, I still need to plan a summer trip. 

Totally forgot we got a bunk bed, new mattress, bedding, some new dishes and plates, and all new pillows.   Yep expensive month. Oh vey. 

Edited by mommyoffive

I feel like I haven’t been very frugal the last week or so - kids are doing archery, we paid entry fees and bought a used bow, still have more $$ to spend on that front too. We also have a friend getting married and bought her a gift.

Then today I made an impulse buy of a knockoff Instant Pot at Dollar General. They were 50% off from $60. I have been wanting to buy an electric pressure cooker for awhile but hadn’t bought one because I just wasn’t sure I’d use it enough to justify the $100 price tag. $30 I can deal with, though. 

I can’t decide if it’s a frugal buy or not. On the one hand, I saved lots of money. On the other, it’s not a necessity, and we just spent and are going to spend more on archery stuff.

i am looking forward to to trying new recipes, though.

• Like 1

@emba56 Aw. Well I hope it works so it was worthwhile. $30 isn’t too big of a purchase so hopefully it doesn’t affect the budget much. 

I don’t know exactly how/when but I’m going to attempt to make time for VIPkid. I have an interview this weekend. I know even just getting hired is a process. 

I kinda freaked at our bank acct when I saw how much was moved from savings to checking over the past couple months. I knew some was but not that much or that frequency. I need to find out more and told Dh I would like to discuss it. I seriously wonder if I need us to see some type of financial therapist. This is ridiculous. Speaking of therapy I hope I get my last tutoring check before my next therapy session (have to see my psychiatrist in a few days to renew meds). 

I’ve made payments on all the medical bills except dental because that was just an estimate. The ER bill has $52 remaining after I maxed out the flex card. The others aren’t horrible. It’s all less terrifying now. 

Edited by heartlikealion
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, heartlikealion said:

@emba56 Aw. Well I hope it works so it was worthwhile. $30 isn’t too big of a purchase so hopefully it doesn’t affect the budget much. 

I don’t know exactly how/when but I’m going to attempt to make time for VIPkid. I have an interview this weekend. I know even just getting hired is a process. 

I kinda freaked at our bank acct when I saw how much was moved from savings to checking over the past couple months. I knew some was but not that much or that frequency. I need to find out more and told Dh I would like to discuss it. I seriously wonder if I need us to see some type of financial therapist. This is ridiculous. Speaking of therapy I hope I get my last tutoring check before my next therapy session (have to see my psychiatrist in a few days to renew meds). 

I’ve made payments on all the medical bills except dental because that was just an estimate. The ER bill has $52 remaining after I maxed out the flex card. The others aren’t horrible. It’s all less terrifying now. 

Well, if it was really going to bust the budget I wouldn’t have bought it. I think I just got freaked out for a minute because I usually don’t make impulse purchases like this. I do for clothes, or knickknacks, but usually for smaller amounts. But for small appliances and household thingsI research, and read reviews, and overthink the process. I’m afraid to look at reviews now. 😁 

Supper is cooking in it, so we’ll see.

Good luck with VIP Kid! 

17 hours ago, emba56 said:

Then today I made an impulse buy of a knockoff Instant Pot at Dollar General. They were 50% off from $60. I have been wanting to buy an electric pressure cooker for awhile but hadn’t bought one because I just wasn’t sure I’d use it enough to justify the $100 price tag. $30 I can deal with, though. 

I can’t decide if it’s a frugal buy or not. On the one hand, I saved lots of money. On the other, it’s not a necessity, and we just spent and are going to spend more on archery stuff.

i am looking forward to to trying new recipes, though.

That has stopped me from getting one, too.  We don't currently use one, so I don't know if we will.  Plus I would have to give up shelf space...I've gone back and forth on it for a year.  Maybe one day I'll make up my mind.😄

Dh and I grocery shopped yesterday.  The store we ended up at had a massive sale on ground beef, chicken, and pork chops for Memorial day, so we brought home quite a bit and saved over $50 off what we would have paid based on my price book.  It goes without saying today is burger making day.  🙂  We'll have an assembly line going and pack them in the freezer for the rest of the summer.  We took the money we saved and applied it directly to the mortgage payment.  I ordered our laundry soap online- $28 for a 6 month supply, and found they offer single use packs.  I'm on the fence on if I want to order those for vacation/travel.  Our current method has been to use children's plastic test tubes.  They're just big enough and work fine, but it means having to carry things back with me.  I'll think on it for a while longer.

Oh, and The Lego Movie 2 was in at the library this week, so I have a very happy 9yo.  

• Like 1

I did my interview today with VIPkid. I was SO incredibly stressed. Okay we had nothing but error after error with the website/tech. We were debating about moving all my stuff to dh's library. But that would have meant using the computer's built-in mic and they prefer the headset. He got it working and left the house with the kids. Well we passed the tech test and then I entered the "classroom" online and it said, "no audio detected." WHAT? I was so mad. I was panicing, and I had minutes before class started and no time to run to the car to get the rest of my magnetic tiles. I later needed them during an exercise so just pointed at the picture I printed and said what was on the screen. I didn't pace myself well. Anyway, then this person enters the room and the audio worked, but the error message kept popping up for NO REASON. So I dismissed it and said, "do not show again." He just asked me to turn up my volume and then he could hear me fine.

My room was not set up very appealing... I tried my best to organize my office to fit the white board and stuff but it ended up being kind of wonky. Also there is a shelving unit in the background which just had an educational game on it. It looked weird with or without anything on it. He commented that I needed a new classroom because it looked like I was sitting by a food pantry.

He said I passed. He asked what pay I was wanting... I didn't even finish the last two slides! I was so embarrassed. I told him (base pay is $14/hr) that I was hoping $15-16/hr because of my homeschool experience, Sunday school, and ESL tutoring. So get this... then he's like congratulations you're getting $18/hr and I was ECSTATIC until he broke it down and said that's what I'll get if I do the incentives (bonuses). *#!$ I clarified and said, "so my base pay is $14?" I can't believe he phrased it that way.

I still have to sign up for the next step in the process and I don't want to do that til I fix my classroom. I was told you can pick what level you want now, but he actually assigned me to lower level (younger kids). I'm not sure how I feel about that.

This morning was incredibly stressful. Dh and I were fighting over it all and he actually said I ruined his Saturday and he hoped I didn't get the job because it's going to interfere with his life. Wow. Really. Later he said he was just upset and he wished me luck... but I'm feeling pretty down about it all. Like when am I gonna make the time? I told dh there's no way he can drop dd off for school because he works at 7:30 in the fall and I don't want her dropped off BEFORE that when school starts at 8. So now I'm in charge of transportation to school. Like I said before, I'll be lucky to get an 8:30-9am class in during August-Oct. before the next time change in Nov. And weekends? Dh doesn't want me doing it on Saturday nights... he'll be out with his friend or I guess gaming on the computer. This is why we'll remain in debt. People in my family don't know how to sacrifice.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, heartlikealion said:

I did my interview today with VIPkid. I was SO incredibly stressed. Okay we had nothing but error after error with the website/tech. We were debating about moving all my stuff to dh's library. But that would have meant using the computer's built-in mic and they prefer the headset. He got it working and left the house with the kids. Well we passed the tech test and then I entered the "classroom" online and it said, "no audio detected." WHAT? I was so mad. I was panicing, and I had minutes before class started and no time to run to the car to get the rest of my magnetic tiles. I later needed them during an exercise so just pointed at the picture I printed and said what was on the screen. I didn't pace myself well. Anyway, then this person enters the room and the audio worked, but the error message kept popping up for NO REASON. So I dismissed it and said, "do not show again." He just asked me to turn up my volume and then he could hear me fine.

My room was not set up very appealing... I tried my best to organize my office to fit the white board and stuff but it ended up being kind of wonky. Also there is a shelving unit in the background which just had an educational game on it. It looked weird with or without anything on it. He commented that I needed a new classroom because it looked like I was sitting by a food pantry.

He said I passed. He asked what pay I was wanting... I didn't even finish the last two slides! I was so embarrassed. I told him (base pay is $14/hr) that I was hoping $15-16/hr because of my homeschool experience, Sunday school, and ESL tutoring. So get this... then he's like congratulations you're getting $18/hr and I was ECSTATIC until he broke it down and said that's what I'll get if I do the incentives (bonuses). *#!$ I clarified and said, "so my base pay is $14?" I can't believe he phrased it that way.

I still have to sign up for the next step in the process and I don't want to do that til I fix my classroom. I was told you can pick what level you want now, but he actually assigned me to lower level (younger kids). I'm not sure how I feel about that.

This morning was incredibly stressful. Dh and I were fighting over it all and he actually said I ruined his Saturday and he hoped I didn't get the job because it's going to interfere with his life. Wow. Really. Later he said he was just upset and he wished me luck... but I'm feeling pretty down about it all. Like when am I gonna make the time? I told dh there's no way he can drop dd off for school because he works at 7:30 in the fall and I don't want her dropped off BEFORE that when school starts at 8. So now I'm in charge of transportation to school. Like I said before, I'll be lucky to get an 8:30-9am class in during August-Oct. before the next time change in Nov. And weekends? Dh doesn't want me doing it on Saturday nights... he'll be out with his friend or I guess gaming on the computer. This is why we'll remain in debt. People in my family don't know how to sacrifice.

Yay.  Congrats on passing and getting hired.  That is awesome.  I have heard it isn't easy to get hired there.   Ugh about the pay.  But from the people I watched on youtube talking about it, it is pretty easy to get the incentives.   

Ugh about your dh.  I think you need to sit down and talk to him about it again.  Maybe put forth some numbers.  That if you bring in an extra $400 a month how that could impact your debt situation.  Sorry but he needs to give up his Saturday nights.  He can game at home on the computer and still be in charge of getting the kids to bed while you work.    He can give up going out with friends a lot, since he spends a bunch of cash that way.  Maybe every couple of months. 

Can you work an hour before the kids get up?  An hour after they go to bed?   Friday nights?   

I am so proud of you for going for it!!

• Like 1

@mommyoffive I have a couple more steps before I get offered a contract to sign. Hopefully I make it that far. I have to do a mock class and take a test. Also, send documents and I don’t know if they’ll accept my unofficial transcripts. I don’t know where my diploma is. I think it’s in a frame somewhere. 

Yeah, I’m hoping once dd starts PreK we can get her to bed earlier and I could do something in the evening. I will have to run it by Dh because of the computer thing. I am hoping to save up for a laptop of my own. But the priority is to just earn some money to cover ds’ monthly English class and some of our gas. 

Right now I have this hand-me-down Mac that is almost completely useless. I can’t update chrome because it’s so old. I took it to the Apple store to see if there was any trade in value. Nope. And I don’t want to use the Surface Pro Dh won because it’s teeny tiny. I was pretty upset yesterday and physically not doing great. I’ve still got a headache. But I think I’ll be ok soon and I’ll try to tackle the office aka my classroom. Once I get it set up better I think I’ll be more confident. We didn’t know if we were moving so the office is covered in boxes of unopened Christmas stuff. Dh got a bar he wanted for Christmas that’s in there. The shelving unit is in view and they disliked that but I can’t move my classroom because that area has the most stable internet connection. You can lose pay if you have Internet/IT issues. I wish I could just make that room into ds’ room. I feel guilty we still haven’t moved to a bigger home and the kids don’t have separate rooms. 

C283A49B-05F7-4376-8EEE-B765A722D408.jpeg

Edited by heartlikealion
  • Like 1

Way to go, Heart! 

I went ahead and sent in an application to a gas station right down the street. I figured for just a little extra during the month, I didn't want to spend $ on a commute or spend energy on self-employment taxes, etc. So, I have an interview Tuesday night; the manager actually contacted me within 10 minutes of me sending in my application, so that's a good sign, I think. DH is on the fence about me working, but he realizes we need $ quickly, so he's dealing. Our FSA money is out for the year, and we are looking at spending hundreds per month on medical. So, my job will pay only for medical to start; once my DD hits the max out of pocket, maybe that money can pay down some debt if it all works out. I don't know how I feel about it as I haven't worked in almost 15 years. If I don't get this position, there are about 3 or 4 stores right around here that I can apply to. 

DH contacted Comcast (our internet) today; he was able to get cable TV for the same price as internet only. So, although I was hoping we could drop the price, cable for the same price was okay. 

• Like 2

@heartlikealion Hope it all works out with VIPkid! And I hope your husband gets onboard with making it happen. Definitely sounds frustrating.

I took some books to a used curriculum sale Saturday. Sold $6, spent $17, but what I did buy I’m really excited about, and I got some fantastic deals. I wish I’d just gone to shop and not bothered trying to sell anything. 

I need to get the stuff that didn’t sell up on EBay this week. I’d been waiting for the sale because I’d much rather get rid of it locally and not mess with shipping.

• Like 2

Thanks, ladies.

I need to list stuff for sale, too. I hope you can sell it, @emba56

@beckyjo that’s encouraging. Good luck! I hope you just don’t have to work too late. I always worry about clerks on late shifts. I asked an employee at our new dollar store (we’ve had it a few months) if they were hiring. They said not right now, but they are accepting applications. I asked what shifts were in demand and she said 5-9:30 because a lot of college workers want the night off. I’m keeping that in mind but also sorta waiting to see if I help with this summer GED class and do VIPKID.

• Like 2

Ok so I tried to adjust the base pay offered. The response email did not even confirm the pay listed in the report. I pointed this out to them. My report feedback was also not accurate. I had a white board and a handheld prop so I think that counts as two props... but they said I only had one. I also printed extra material to go with one of the lessons (as I think it’s terrible to teach words without context). But my print outs for the vocabulary may or may not have been compared to printouts taped to my prop as simply one type of prop (printable). Either way, the white board is supposed to count. 

At this point I’m ready to walk away and try again later. Dh doesn’t even want me to do it. He says his schooling is so unpredictable we’ll be fighting for the computer. Ironic since we are up a creek at the moment. He didn’t get paid promptly for his last semester of teaching but had to pay for his summer doctorate classes this week. Apparently we won’t see his night class pay til June. Ugh! Back to using the credit card. 

I sat through the 2 hr coaching session last night. It was a group chat. I had to download another program to join the event. I feel like there are so many hoops. I know my personality— I will want to review the content ahead and prepare props. So I know I will be investing more than 25 min/lesson. This is why a comfortable base pay matters so much. I don’t know how often you get a repeat lesson so you will be viewing new content a lot in the beginning I’d think. 

You can sign up again in 3 months or use another email and sign up right away. They did not give me a timer in my demo so I screwed up my pacing. My mentor did not tell me the timer on screen is part of the real class only. The coach said sometimes if you scroll up you can find it during a demo but it works t be accurate because you’re only timed during a portion of the interview. In the future I’d set up a counter on my cell to glance at but I don’t want to be seen looking off camera at the timer. 

Since I’m not ready to walk away forever I did adjust my classroom. Lighting is my biggest issue. During the day I can open the curtain to help but still I’m seeing glare on my glasses and white board. 

The computers here hate all the VIPKID links. It’s awful. I get “no server found” on almost all of them. We told the company but I still can’t figure out what to fix. I updated flash so I’ll try reloading again. 

• Like 1

Ok I'm throwing in the towel. They emailed back admitting that the second rate was a mistake... some template they reused. Ugh. And as far as the feedback from my mock class last night, I can't tell how much of that is a template vs what they actually typed. It said I made some English errors? But she didn't say this in the verbal feedback, just the written. So I have no idea. No elaboration there. Could be true, may not be. This whole thing has been stressful as it's a thorn in dh's side. His summer classes started this week and he complained about my mock yesterday. He had to watch the kids after work for a bit during that, but wanted to come straight home and work on his class stuff. He also complained my "classroom" stuff was in his way. 

Rate.jpg

Awww, Heart, I'm sorry. It sounds very frustrating. 

My job interview was a bust too. The interviewer wanted me at a different store, and he kept stressing that overnight hour availability would guarantee that I'd get hours in. So, no. I did see a sign at our Aldi last night that they are hiring. They pay pretty good comparatively, so I think I'll do that application today. 

I'm gathering stuff for a garage sale since DH went through some tools. Tools sell well, so maybe we'll make a few bucks. Dd's are wanting to sell some American Girl stuff, but I don't know if a garage sale is the best spot for that. I know the resale price has tanked on the brand over the past couple of years. We have a huge collection because I bought and sold it for a couple of years. 

But the most important thing is: I'm getting a new (to me) dishwasher!!! Ours died several months ago, and it just hasn't made it to the top of the list. My uncle kept an eye out on Craigslist and ran into one that he thought would work. He got busy and forgot to contact them. When he remembered, he went to send them an offer and when he was just about to click the link, the price dropped. He's on his way to install it right now. The kids are going to help him do it too. 

1 hour ago, beckyjo said:

Awww, Heart, I'm sorry. It sounds very frustrating. 

My job interview was a bust too. The interviewer wanted me at a different store, and he kept stressing that overnight hour availability would guarantee that I'd get hours in. So, no. I did see a sign at our Aldi last night that they are hiring. They pay pretty good comparatively, so I think I'll do that application today. 

I'm gathering stuff for a garage sale since DH went through some tools. Tools sell well, so maybe we'll make a few bucks. Dd's are wanting to sell some American Girl stuff, but I don't know if a garage sale is the best spot for that. I know the resale price has tanked on the brand over the past couple of years. We have a huge collection because I bought and sold it for a couple of years. 

But the most important thing is: I'm getting a new (to me) dishwasher!!! Ours died several months ago, and it just hasn't made it to the top of the list. My uncle kept an eye out on Craigslist and ran into one that he thought would work. He got busy and forgot to contact them. When he remembered, he went to send them an offer and when he was just about to click the link, the price dropped. He's on his way to install it right now. The kids are going to help him do it too. 

Thanks. And sorry about your job situation but yay on the dishwasher!! 

I asked at my local dollar store if they were hiring and they said no, but they were accepting applications. When I googled to see the pay rates I figured nah, it's probably min. wage or darn close and then I'd be there when dh wanted me here to watch the kids so he could do his class homework. So I'm just not going to fixate on it too much. If that GED tutoring option comes up I will try my best to make that work, though.