Menu
Jump to content

What's with the ads?

heartlikealion

May Frugalistas

Recommended Posts

Is there a thread already? I didn't see one.

I'm pretty disappointed that despite confirming the price like 3x, we got a bill for the hearing test for ds and it was twice what we were quoted. Which is still a low price compared to going elsewhere... but it's the principle. They told us Medicaid pricing, $25 if that. The bill is $55. So of course now I'm doubting their quotes on the APD test. Dh and I agreed to postpone that til the new flex spending plan cycle. We literally breezed through the rest of the flex card in the past couple weeks when Dh went to the ER, dd needed an x-ray, and dh went to a couple dr visits.

We never got reimbursed for the tow so I contacted the auto insurance company today. I don't know who dh emailed last time but this rep said she'd handle it and she never saw an email about it. That will be $100 we could really use.

Hopefully I find out this week about the job. I'm also investigating ways to make VIPKID work, but dh and I are apprehensive about it. I just don't know how I can do it with dd in the house so that very much limits any class slots. She's notorious for interrupting and needing me at the worst times. Today I told her I was getting on the phone (auto insurance company) and she starts freaking out in the background that she saw a flying bug LOL. Good grief.

My boss asked me to get info online about GED classes so I can help get the classes set up for the ESL students this summer. I have no idea what she wants. I sent her a link to steps on the GED process. I thought I'd just show up and help with material, but now I'm thinking I'll have to do a lot of the legwork to get the program off the ground since she's not a native English speaker or native to America. I am not sure what they need from me, though. For the after school tutoring, this is our final week. I am going to offer to pick up a second shift this week since dh is on summer hours, but I don't know if they'll need me. I don't know if the kids are still taking home homework packets this late in the year. Ds is doing hardly anything at school and these last couple weeks are just dragging. He has to go until May 22 but only has one test left to take and they have a class night this week.

We've spent entirely too much lately. Eating out, etc.

Don't blame you if you skimmed that, haha.

What's going on with you?

 

Edited by heartlikealion
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am so mad for you about the hearing test.  UGH.   It annoys me that at the dentist they can tell you how much everything will cost with your insurance.  But for medical they either can't or won't.   Why can't everything be simple?

Are there hours when your dd is sleeping that you could work for VIPkid?  I was thinking about it, but right now I am not going to pursue it.  My youngest is waking up at 6-7 am.  I was thinking of working Fri, Sat, Sunday nights.  But I am a person who needs 8 plus hours of sleep.  

I think DH is going to grad school soon, so I just don't want to put a more on my plate.  As I assume him going to grad school will put more on my schedule.  

Fingers crossed about the job.  

We still haven't gotten the accident stuff figured out.  Back and forth with insurance. 

It is recital season here, so lots of spending on that.   It is always some sort of season with dance that requires more $.   Audition season, Nutcracker, other shows, Intensives season,and on and on.  I have spent so much on dance stuff this week.   I need to figure out our summer schedule badly.  I also need to just pull triggers on some vacations.  

  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There isn't a whole lot going on here.  Mother's day is over, thankfully, but I ended up spending way too much money on various cold medicines because 3 of us got sick and nobody can/will use the same form, size, or taste of otc meds.  But we are now restocked and hopefully I won't catch it, too.

A few towns over is having their used curriculum sale next month, and we're having a swap here.  I'm hoping to pick up the few things on my list used.  At the very least, I'm hoping to find 1-2 of the novels we'll be using.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello all.  We are back from vacation, which ended up being quite a bit less frugal than I had hoped for, but enjoyable.  Our first hotel had a "kitchenette", which had a sink, fridge, microwave, toaster, and two ceramic coffee mugs.  We managed to figure out a few meals that we could make with that set-up, a bit more expensive/less healthy than home-cooking but cheaper than restaurant dining:

- Rotisserie chicken (we were near a Costco and Target), microwavable instant rice, salad, fruit
- Pre-cooked Italian sausages/hot dogs, instant mashed potatoes (DH loves these but only gets them on vacation, lol), salad, fruit
- Microwave scrambled eggs in a mug, pre-cooked bacon, steam-in-bag sweet potatoes, toast, fruit

They were kind of light meals, but despite all the walking none of us had much of an increased appetite.  We also had sandwich fixings, yogurt, and chips/salsa.  The second part of our trip had more dining out.  I'm very glad to be home with a fully stocked kitchen.  Aldi, I missed you so much.

The kids are sick with that late-season, shot-ignoring flu virus, so I'm going to use this week to stay home and get caught up on school hour tracking stuff, budgeting, from-scratch cooking, and looking for sales on the curriculum we need for next school year.  Hopefully we are all recovered by next week, as we are planning on doing a "money and budgeting" unit study, capped off by a garage and bake sale.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is wordy so I'm just going to summarize below each paragraph hah

I tried to track down old proof of purchases from the pharmacy to straighten out our flex spending card, but because of a HIPPA rule (the receipt would be considered a medical record and the prescription was for dh last month), I wasn't able to get that Walmart receipt. The other pharmacy gave me something which I know I can use even if I have to pair it with a paper receipt I have from that transaction, but with WM I had nothing as dh accidentally threw away both the receipt and the paper that came with the prescription that shows price/patient name/drug. BUT I figured out a solution. It's been several days since I spoke to one of the dr offices (bills were pending on their end) and now the bills are out so I am able to log in and make a payment with my debit card (this is one of the small bills) and use the electronic receipt as proof of payment. I've done just that and will combine with two low cost prescriptions. They will total the $31 I needed to reactivate our card from an accidental overswipe. Then I can start making payments on the bigger bills on the flex card... which I'll have to sort out into smaller payments for some. 

Key takeaway: I should have the flex card reactivated today I think. (I know, it's taking me forever. Things just got complicated)

Good news. Last night was supposed to be my last part-time tutoring night for the ESL kids (because the program ends this week). But, apparently they want to continue the program for the teenagers and the man that is normally in that room is not able to commit to summer hours. I was asked if I'd take over that class and I said sure. I have worked with the teens a few times, but some days you're in there with no students that speak much English at all. I was able to find out what they had been doing with the man by speaking directly to him and now I have a much clearer idea of what things we can go over. He gave them lots of vocabulary and said the students have copies of it. A lot of the things are what you'd teach a young child (colors, numbers, clothing pieces, seasons, months, conversational things like age, etc.) Now aside from working with the teens I am supposed to help if they have a young adult GED class, but the timeline on that is up in the air so this means I'll at least have guaranteed work right away. I normally just work one day a week but so long as dh doesn't suddenly have to work nights over summer (he said that's up in the air because he doesn't know when he'll be asked to work Thursdays. Could be summer, could be fall) I've agreed to the Tues/Thurs. schedule. I let my boss know about the potential hiccup. If that happens, I'll see if they're willing to do a Mon/Wed class instead or something. I gathered some info on GED prep books and gave it to her to see if she wants to browse some and possibly have some ordered, but I personally don't know what books are the best. I told her we could read Amazon reviews. 

Key takeaway: I will teach 2x a week starting next week (yay). If they get a GED program set up it might be on weekends. After summer, though, I don't know if they'll have any programs. I know the elem. one is not supposed to reopen. The wear and tear and gas for the car isn't great, but I will still make a profit. 

As for VIPKID, dd is unpredictable so I don't think I could risk teaching while she's asleep. She has been known to crawl out of bed and find me when I have gotten up to use the restroom in the wee hours of the night or early morning. I could just see her doing that while I was trying to teach a class! "Mom, come back to bed." LOL Now if I could do VIPKID after tutoring that might work (away from the house, with a portable device) but I don't know where. I don't think it'd be ethical to stay in the church's trailer after ESL tutoring to do my personal tutoring/using their lights and building. Not t hat anyone suggested that. And I couldn't drive to a McDonald's or something. I think that would be too unprofessional and disruptive and awkward lol. Does anyone do VIPKID outdoors (I know a car wouldn't make sense either lol). Outdoors would be a gamble too, with weather. I asked dh if I should try to make the little storage area in the carport into my VIPKID office and he said no way, not with the spiders and stuff. Our carport is partially enclosed with a tiny room attached. 

Key takeaway: VIPKID would probably be too difficult with dd home. I'd have to aim to do it during the fall when she was at PreK if I was home with ds. 

-----------

 

@mommyoffive yes, having him in grad school may affect your plate. I know right now I'm a little apprehensive about our schedules with dh's schooling. He just finished his first sem. of his doctorate-level classes and will be taking more this summer starting soon. I am trying to get better at meal planning and such and know that some days he'll simply stick around at the office to get homework done uninterrupted there. Is there any way to do exchanges with other families for recital items in the future? 

@HomeAgain I hope you find something you can use at that sale! 

@BarbecueMomEating in the hotel is smart. 

 

 

 

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, heartlikealion said:

This is wordy so I'm just going to summarize below each paragraph hah

I tried to track down old proof of purchases from the pharmacy to straighten out our flex spending card, but because of a HIPPA rule (the receipt would be considered a medical record and the prescription was for dh last month), I wasn't able to get that Walmart receipt. The other pharmacy gave me something which I know I can use even if I have to pair it with a paper receipt I have from that transaction, but with WM I had nothing as dh accidentally threw away both the receipt and the paper that came with the prescription that shows price/patient name/drug. BUT I figured out a solution. It's been several days since I spoke to one of the dr offices (bills were pending on their end) and now the bills are out so I am able to log in and make a payment with my debit card (this is one of the small bills) and use the electronic receipt as proof of payment. I've done just that and will combine with two low cost prescriptions. They will total the $31 I needed to reactivate our card from an accidental overswipe. Then I can start making payments on the bigger bills on the flex card... which I'll have to sort out into smaller payments for some. 

Key takeaway: I should have the flex card reactivated today I think. (I know, it's taking me forever. Things just got complicated)

Good news. Last night was supposed to be my last part-time tutoring night for the ESL kids (because the program ends this week). But, apparently they want to continue the program for the teenagers and the man that is normally in that room is not able to commit to summer hours. I was asked if I'd take over that class and I said sure. I have worked with the teens a few times, but some days you're in there with no students that speak much English at all. I was able to find out what they had been doing with the man by speaking directly to him and now I have a much clearer idea of what things we can go over. He gave them lots of vocabulary and said the students have copies of it. A lot of the things are what you'd teach a young child (colors, numbers, clothing pieces, seasons, months, conversational things like age, etc.) Now aside from working with the teens I am supposed to help if they have a young adult GED class, but the timeline on that is up in the air so this means I'll at least have guaranteed work right away. I normally just work one day a week but so long as dh doesn't suddenly have to work nights over summer (he said that's up in the air because he doesn't know when he'll be asked to work Thursdays. Could be summer, could be fall) I've agreed to the Tues/Thurs. schedule. I let my boss know about the potential hiccup. If that happens, I'll see if they're willing to do a Mon/Wed class instead or something. I gathered some info on GED prep books and gave it to her to see if she wants to browse some and possibly have some ordered, but I personally don't know what books are the best. I told her we could read Amazon reviews. 

Key takeaway: I will teach 2x a week starting next week (yay). If they get a GED program set up it might be on weekends. After summer, though, I don't know if they'll have any programs. I know the elem. one is not supposed to reopen. The wear and tear and gas for the car isn't great, but I will still make a profit. 

As for VIPKID, dd is unpredictable so I don't think I could risk teaching while she's asleep. She has been known to crawl out of bed and find me when I have gotten up to use the restroom in the wee hours of the night or early morning. I could just see her doing that while I was trying to teach a class! "Mom, come back to bed." LOL Now if I could do VIPKID after tutoring that might work (away from the house, with a portable device) but I don't know where. I don't think it'd be ethical to stay in the church's trailer after ESL tutoring to do my personal tutoring/using their lights and building. Not t hat anyone suggested that. And I couldn't drive to a McDonald's or something. I think that would be too unprofessional and disruptive and awkward lol. Does anyone do VIPKID outdoors (I know a car wouldn't make sense either lol). Outdoors would be a gamble too, with weather. I asked dh if I should try to make the little storage area in the carport into my VIPKID office and he said no way, not with the spiders and stuff. Our carport is partially enclosed with a tiny room attached. 

Key takeaway: VIPKID would probably be too difficult with dd home. I'd have to aim to do it during the fall when she was at PreK if I was home with ds. 

-----------

 

@mommyoffive yes, having him in grad school may affect your plate. I know right now I'm a little apprehensive about our schedules with dh's schooling. He just finished his first sem. of his doctorate-level classes and will be taking more this summer starting soon. I am trying to get better at meal planning and such and know that some days he'll simply stick around at the office to get homework done uninterrupted there. Is there any way to do exchanges with other families for recital items in the future? 

@HomeAgain I hope you find something you can use at that sale! 

@BarbecueMomEating in the hotel is smart. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Your little one sounds like all my little ones.  Unpredictable.   Glad I am not the only one.  I know people say they do it with babies and stuff.  I just don't think that would work for our family.   My youngest two do wake up and come find dh or I .  Even last night was a horrible night with my youngest.  Thinking it was growing pains in her legs that kept waking her up all night.   I think I was up 6 times with her and then up at 4 am to give some meds.  I just don't think I can do anything else.  My children's extra curricular takes tons of time and energy for me.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mommyoffive said:

 

Your little one sounds like all my little ones.  Unpredictable.   Glad I am not the only one.  I know people say they do it with babies and stuff.  I just don't think that would work for our family.   My youngest two do wake up and come find dh or I .  Even last night was a horrible night with my youngest.  Thinking it was growing pains in her legs that kept waking her up all night.   I think I was up 6 times with her and then up at 4 am to give some meds.  I just don't think I can do anything else.  My children's extra curricular takes tons of time and energy for me.  

Exactly. I don't know how other families do it, but it's hard for me to imagine. A girlfriend of mine does it and has a younger child than me. She may not need as much sleep as me, but she's not getting enough. She shared her link and I told her if I signed up I'd do it under hers so she'd get the referral bonus. She bought my guitar and helped me resell my theater tickets when dd was sick and we couldn't go. We were supposed to meet to look at the dashboard on her account together, but she doesn't have the same availability she did in the past (we met up in the evening once). She can only meet certain hours during the day and I can't leave dd at the sitter go to meet with her because the sitter here takes summers off apparently. She only watches children of school employees here and about a week ago told me it was her last day for now. Dh works summers, unlike many of the school employees, so that makes it hard for me to do things without her. I could probably go through the VIPKID process without meeting with her, but I'm uncertain right now. Literally the only times I see myself able to do it is August-Nov. like 8:30-9am before the time changes again and while dd is out of the house. Once the time time changes it'd be even harder for me to be available during China's peak hours. I don't know how many classes you have to teach for them to get their referral. Maybe just one?

I hope your girl feels better. The growing pains are awful.

Whatever materials I make for the ESL students I would hopefully be able to pair with VIPKID lessons, if that ever happens. I wonder if her account will show me the powerpoint slides so I'd have a better understanding of how much material is required to cover per slide.

ibotta added Walmart grocery pickup to the list. I'll have to consider using that next time I have a Walmart stop. I wish I could find dh's recent receipt. I know the bread he bought is an ibotta offer.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I drove around on Sunday and collected my freebies/almost freebies. Fun shopping with less than $5. 

Kids were invited to movies; we used a gift card my mom gave us for their tickets, so $0. I then drove to Kohl's and used $20 Kohl's cash. I got a robe and pj's for middle DD, and a gift pack of bath bombs for youngest (stocking stuffer) - out of pocket $1.67. Then, I stopped at Bath and Body Works and got a free body wash (stocking stuffer). Ran next door to Justice, since I had reward $$. I got 3 pairs of panties for youngest (out of pocket $.96) and they gave me a free tote (which middle is using for Tae Kwon Do stuff). Finally, stopped at a new little lumber store (like a small home depot) and used a $5 off coupon for signing up with their rewards system and got 4 furnace filters - out of pocket $1.49. 

That's my kind of shopping.

 

Regarding VIPKid: I've looked at it and thought about it and studied Youtube videos and thought about it, etc. I have a child with PTSD who is unpredictable, so I just don't know that I can block out a specific time. Their cancellation policy could be a problem if I end up with a raging kid and I have multiple classes booked for the day. I'm also kind of worried that they might be over-hiring and it would be hard to get noticed because it seems like it is THE thing to do. 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, heartlikealion said:

Exactly. I don't know how other families do it, but it's hard for me to imagine. A girlfriend of mine does it and has a younger child than me. She may not need as much sleep as me, but she's not getting enough. She shared her link and I told her if I signed up I'd do it under hers so she'd get the referral bonus. She bought my guitar and helped me resell my theater tickets when dd was sick and we couldn't go. We were supposed to meet to look at the dashboard on her account together, but she doesn't have the same availability she did in the past (we met up in the evening once). She can only meet certain hours during the day and I can't leave dd at the sitter go to meet with her because the sitter here takes summers off apparently. She only watches children of school employees here and about a week ago told me it was her last day for now. Dh works summers, unlike many of the school employees, so that makes it hard for me to do things without her. I could probably go through the VIPKID process without meeting with her, but I'm uncertain right now. Literally the only times I see myself able to do it is August-Nov. like 8:30-9am before the time changes again and while dd is out of the house. Once the time time changes it'd be even harder for me to be available during China's peak hours. I don't know how many classes you have to teach for them to get their referral. Maybe just one?

I hope your girl feels better. The growing pains are awful.

Whatever materials I make for the ESL students I would hopefully be able to pair with VIPKID lessons, if that ever happens. I wonder if her account will show me the powerpoint slides so I'd have a better understanding of how much material is required to cover per slide.

ibotta added Walmart grocery pickup to the list. I'll have to consider using that next time I have a Walmart stop. I wish I could find dh's recent receipt. I know the bread he bought is an ibotta offer.

 

Yes, when I was really thinking of doing it I was watching youtube videos of people who do it.  One was great (Nancy Taylor).   She has 2 little kids.   I think she started when her oldest was a baby.  Then she was pg and had a newborn and was doing it.  She would teach in the morning and listen for the newborn to wake up.   Take a few mins in the middle of lesson and put back to sleep.   Uh maybe one of my kids would have done that as a baby.  Not the other 4.  Plus I would have been way to tired getting up with newborn to be able to get up at 4 or 5.  And then there are the parents of a bunch of kids who do it and they say their kids take care of each other.  They just know to not bother them.   They would do for a little bit and then there would be fights, yelling, crying.   I could only do it when dh was hear to handle things.  Maybe in the future it will be more something that I can do. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, beckyjo said:

I drove around on Sunday and collected my freebies/almost freebies. Fun shopping with less than $5. 

Kids were invited to movies; we used a gift card my mom gave us for their tickets, so $0. I then drove to Kohl's and used $20 Kohl's cash. I got a robe and pj's for middle DD, and a gift pack of bath bombs for youngest (stocking stuffer) - out of pocket $1.67. Then, I stopped at Bath and Body Works and got a free body wash (stocking stuffer). Ran next door to Justice, since I had reward $$. I got 3 pairs of panties for youngest (out of pocket $.96) and they gave me a free tote (which middle is using for Tae Kwon Do stuff). Finally, stopped at a new little lumber store (like a small home depot) and used a $5 off coupon for signing up with their rewards system and got 4 furnace filters - out of pocket $1.49. 

That's my kind of shopping.

 

Regarding VIPKid: I've looked at it and thought about it and studied Youtube videos and thought about it, etc. I have a child with PTSD who is unpredictable, so I just don't know that I can block out a specific time. Their cancellation policy could be a problem if I end up with a raging kid and I have multiple classes booked for the day. I'm also kind of worried that they might be over-hiring and it would be hard to get noticed because it seems like it is THE thing to do. 

 

 

Wow on all the great shopping deals.   That is awesome.  I miss doing that.    Look at you go girl getting the stocking stuffers now. 

Yeah the cancellation policy would be hard for me to.  Dh travels.  The kids get sick.  I get sick too.  I would hate to have to teach on those days.   I have heard that people think they have over hired and they don't get many bookings. 

 

I just was at our walmart and these were marked to $1

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Great-Value-Daily-Boost-Trail-Mix-22-Oz/795543036

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I sometimes follow these threads but haven’t posted before. I am mostly being frugal because it’s a good habit and to keep savings up for emergencies, not because we have pressing needs right now.

Anyway, my boys are in public school and we never did get school pictures because the bare minimum we could spend to get enough for all the grandparents and great grandparents was $60. I finally got around to taking my own with my cell phone this weekend and ordered prints today - under $10 for pictures of the boys and my DD. It was a pain but in the end worth it.

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh yeah, if anyone will need composition books next year, I bought some this week for $0.49 at Office Max. From the website it looks like they’re still on sale.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wish we had an Office Max near us!  Our closest is an hour away.

DS has requested to drop in-person music lessons next year when I told him I'd like him to switch to a teacher that also does group lessons. He's getting to the point where he needs to learn how to play with others and I know I've spoke before about how his teacher isn't proving to be the best fit for him at this moment. He didn't like the nearby teachers, but wants to return to a 4x/week online option.  That'll save us about $90 month starting in September.  He'll play 20 minutes with a group/individual portion and have assessments individually at least monthly.  If he misses a live class he can catch it later in the recorded videos.  We'll see how it goes and then reassess after a few months.

Today is clean out the fridge and grocery shopping day!  Yay.  LOL  We actually did pretty well on leftovers and not wasting food.  I stopped Blue Apron because it's too unpredictable once the summer folks start clogging up the roads.  I'm hoping to keep us to under $150 this week, if we plan right.

Dh bought me a Fitbit for Mother's day, which was very sweet but I quickly ran into a problem with it. For as much as my body has done the middle-age spread, it hasn't done a thing to my skinny wrists.  I am on my second band (with a third coming) because I can't get it small enough to fit properly.  The sides have a definite gap because the top doesn't bend, and so it slides back and forth.  And no, I can't move down to the children's version.  It's nearly as wide, but doesn't have all the features.

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't normally join in since we have been spending "like we have money" lately with all the house stuff.

We were taking showings as a time to go get some dinner, but we have curtailed the eating out as much because we really do want to save some $$ on that front.  

But I am thankful.  We paid cash to get the house ready to sell, almost $7k when all was said and done, windows replaced, boards fascha (not sure how you spell that) replaced, front porch extensive repair, cleaning and decluttering/staging, and some other repairs.    

We don't spend my salary for regular living expenses.  We had lived on DH's salary for so long that when my kids started college, I was able to just put it in the bank and that is our college fund.  There is some surplus, but I don't spend it without a reason (not for general living and not for anything we don't actually need.) . 

I would like to get back to a regular budget though, for a variety of reasons, one being our mortgage payments may go up and we will need to budget a little more.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, HomeAgain said:

I wish we had an Office Max near us!  Our closest is an hour away.

DS has requested to drop in-person music lessons next year when I told him I'd like him to switch to a teacher that also does group lessons. He's getting to the point where he needs to learn how to play with others and I know I've spoke before about how his teacher isn't proving to be the best fit for him at this moment. He didn't like the nearby teachers, but wants to return to a 4x/week online option.  That'll save us about $90 month starting in September.  He'll play 20 minutes with a group/individual portion and have assessments individually at least monthly.  If he misses a live class he can catch it later in the recorded videos.  We'll see how it goes and then reassess after a few months.

Today is clean out the fridge and grocery shopping day!  Yay.  LOL  We actually did pretty well on leftovers and not wasting food.  I stopped Blue Apron because it's too unpredictable once the summer folks start clogging up the roads.  I'm hoping to keep us to under $150 this week, if we plan right.

Dh bought me a Fitbit for Mother's day, which was very sweet but I quickly ran into a problem with it. For as much as my body has done the middle-age spread, it hasn't done a thing to my skinny wrists.  I am on my second band (with a third coming) because I can't get it small enough to fit properly.  The sides have a definite gap because the top doesn't bend, and so it slides back and forth.  And no, I can't move down to the children's version.  It's nearly as wide, but doesn't have all the features.

 

I don’t know about the Fitbit, I have a cheap knockoff fitness bracelet, but I know skinny wrists. My knockoff just slides around because it’s so loose, but it seems to work fine anyway. I don’t use it for heart rate monitoring though; might make a difference for that.

eta: do you have an Office Depot? I think they’re actually the same company now and have the same sales.

Edited by emba56
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, HomeAgain said:

I wish we had an Office Max near us!  Our closest is an hour away.

DS has requested to drop in-person music lessons next year when I told him I'd like him to switch to a teacher that also does group lessons. He's getting to the point where he needs to learn how to play with others and I know I've spoke before about how his teacher isn't proving to be the best fit for him at this moment. He didn't like the nearby teachers, but wants to return to a 4x/week online option.  That'll save us about $90 month starting in September.  He'll play 20 minutes with a group/individual portion and have assessments individually at least monthly.  If he misses a live class he can catch it later in the recorded videos.  We'll see how it goes and then reassess after a few months.

Today is clean out the fridge and grocery shopping day!  Yay.  LOL  We actually did pretty well on leftovers and not wasting food.  I stopped Blue Apron because it's too unpredictable once the summer folks start clogging up the roads.  I'm hoping to keep us to under $150 this week, if we plan right.

Dh bought me a Fitbit for Mother's day, which was very sweet but I quickly ran into a problem with it. For as much as my body has done the middle-age spread, it hasn't done a thing to my skinny wrists.  I am on my second band (with a third coming) because I can't get it small enough to fit properly.  The sides have a definite gap because the top doesn't bend, and so it slides back and forth.  And no, I can't move down to the children's version.  It's nearly as wide, but doesn't have all the features.

 

 

Yay for the music savings.   What company is that through?  Is it only certain instruments?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My boss just texted me that they won’t continue the program with teens ovet summer afterall. She said she’ll contact me about GED classes when that happens. 

I have a nagging feeling I may not hear about the Catholic school job this week and will have to wait til next week. They said 2 weeks, which is today, but I am not taking it too literally. Also, I don’t think they have contacted any of my references so that may or may not be a bad sign. 

I got our flex card fixed and started making medical payments where I could online. I’ll pay some today by phone. 

I looked into other jobs within the diocese but the main one that caught my eye requires lots of travel. I looked to see how many parishes are in the diocese and it’s over 90. I’m not even going to apply lol 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, mommyoffive said:

 

I have one of the 50% off RW plans.  My son uses it at college.  We are switching him back to our plan this summer.  It keeps glitching and he has reset the phone completely, which drives him crazy.  YMMV.

And you do need a work address from a school, K-college, with proof of a job at a school to get it, so it isn't available to HSers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, mommyoffive said:

 

Yay for the music savings.   What company is that through?  Is it only certain instruments?

It is PracticeMonkeys.  Only violin and I think piano now, too, but he ended up liking most of it (not the chanting, though).  I bought a year's subscription through HSBC last year and the lessons are short enough and kept interesting.  Now that he is older he can do the evening live classes, I think.  Before he would tire out and we'd do them first thing in the morning when he was at his most energetic.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wish we had an

8 hours ago, emba56 said:

I don’t know about the Fitbit, I have a cheap knockoff fitness bracelet, but I know skinny wrists. My knockoff just slides around because it’s so loose, but it seems to work fine anyway. I don’t use it for heart rate monitoring though; might make a difference for that.

eta: do you have an Office Depot? I think they’re actually the same company now and have the same sales.


Yeah..it's the heart rate I'm using it for along with the rest.  Oh well.

We have no big box stores near of us any kind, other than a regional grocery store and hardware store.  This area prides itself on being very mom & pop and unique, so it's a drive to get to any major retailer.

But we're getting a Target three towns over in time for the fall!  😁

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...