Menu

What's with the ads?

alisoncooks

Dry shampoo -- what am I missing?

Youngest DD has very straight, fine hair. It often looks very oily around the front/forehead area, even when clean.

I thought about trying dry shampoo to freshen things up, but I don't really see an improvement. Is there a specific brand that's great? Is it about application technique? Help me out here. 🙂

I tried dry shampoo years ago and didn't like it at all.  I really can't understand what the fuss is all about.  For me, I guess my hair is naturally pretty shiny and the dry shampoo made it look really dull.  So while it didn't look oily or stringy, it still looked dirty.  For your daughter, I suggest pinning her bangs back.  

• Like 1

Does she have an oily forehead area? I have used dry shampoo on my coarse shoulder length hair and I have combination skin (oily nose). My mom has fine hair and dry skin, and have no problems with dry shampoo.

• Like 1

I can only tell you what works for me:

If I wash my hair daily, it doesn’t look oily.  But if I go overnight—yowza!  I have baby fine hair and it will immediately look greasy the next morning, plus I’ll have a part going all the way down the back of my head.  I look horrible.  It’s not nice greasy.  It’s really unattractive, I look dirty greasy.  

But if I spray in dry shampoo (and I use the cheapest Walmart brand one), THE NIGHT BEFORE I go to bed, that makes all the difference. 

I spray it along my hairline, front and bottom and then rub, rub, rub it into my scalp.  Then I spray it where I know the part will form (it’s always in the same spot and when I looked it up, it’s considered a cowlick or swirl, even though for me, it’s just a big part down the back of my head.). I spray it where I know the part will form, and rub rub rub it into my scalp, and then I even gather my hair over where the part will form and I use bobby pins to pull the hair together so that when I sleep the part isn’t forming.  

The key for me was to apply at night or anytime BEFORE the grease forms.  If I waited until the morning after my hair was greasy, the dry shampoo did nothing.  If I preemptively spray it and THEN the grease comes, the grease gets soaked up and my hair stays nice.  If you use too much, your hair will get frizzy looking, which is something my baby-fine hair had never experienced before.  At first I loved having frizzy hair because it was novel, but then I realized that frizzy hair isn’t attractive either.  I had to play around with it a bit until I hit that sweet spot of enough spray to soak up grease, but not enough to make frizz.

If your daughter’s hair looks greasy the same day it’s washed, try washing it and then spraying in the shampoo as soon as the hair is dry, so that as the grease forms, it’s soaked up before it can settle into the hair.

Edited by Garga
  • Like 4

Dry shampoo in those areas the night before should help her stretch her wash, or applying it to a style and brushing it through can help some of the piecier looking greasy places.  But my oily kid has to use clarifying shampoo instead of normal, and no conditioner except on the very tippy ends of her hair.  Anything else makes her look like a grease ball.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Arctic Mama said:

Dry shampoo in those areas the night before should help her stretch her wash, or applying it to a style and brushing it through can help some of the piecier looking greasy places.  But my oily kid has to use clarifying shampoo instead of normal, and no conditioner except on the very tippy ends of her hair.  Anything else makes her look like a grease ball.

Oh yeah—no conditioner!  I had to stop that entirely.  

I used to use clarifying, but stopped to use volumizing.  Good suggestion about the clarifying for the OP’s daughter. 

• Like 2

Yeah, she doesn't use conditioner. She currently uses Suave Daily Clarifying but maybe she needs a "fancier" brand...?  She alternates with a prescription for dandruff (bless her lil' heart, oily and flaky at the same time). 😞

I use dry shampoo occasionally. Psssst! doesn't do much for me. I use a different brand but I'm not at home to see what it is. It was more expensive, though.

For a spray, maybe she could sample something from Sephora. Do a test drive for a day to see how it works. Sephora can be a bit pricier but I've found they have a good selection of products and tend to know a lot about them and how they work. Your daughter might want to try a volumizing dry shampoo. I would also think the clarifying shampoo could be too heavy but don't know.

She could also dab a big makeup brush in a container of corn starch, tap off the excess, and then apply it around her hairline. I use baby powder (cornstarch) this way every now and then.

If she has an oily forehead/T-zone, oil blotting papers could help keep some of the oil off her hair, too.

• Like 1

Using Neutrogena Oil-free Acne Wash on the face and a bit into the hairline can make a big difference for greasy hair in front.  She may want to use it in the shower for better hairline application and rinsing. 

Dandruff is often related to oily skin and/or to a fungal infection.  Even with prescription shampoo she may need a combination approach to get it under good control.  It can help to cut the scalp oil with something first (clarifying shampoo, oil-free face/body wash, Ivory bar soap, etc.), then wash scalp again with a benzoyl peroxide body wash to kill fungus, then again with dandruff shampoo.  

• Like 1

Thanks for all the replies!

I just checked -- the dry shampoo is Batiste brand. It was in the travel section at Walmart and it caught my eye. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, alisoncooks said:

Thanks for all the replies!

I just checked -- the dry shampoo is Batiste brand. It was in the travel section at Walmart and it caught my eye. 

We have that one at the moment.  It’s not as good as the more expensive ones.

for me it’s more of a quick fix when you really really don’t have time to wash your hair that day but it’s past it not a permanent solution.  

• Like 1

I like the Wal-Mart off brand in the green can better than Batiste! 😁 I also like Not Your Mother's and the best one I've used is the salon quality Morrocan Oil for Dark Tones. I only get that one when I've filled my punch card at the salon and can get it for 25% off. I don't like Batiste or Ogx or Renpure. I haven't tried any others.  

For me it works best to be sprayed on as a very light application in many places. So I hold the can pretty far away to get that fine mist and I flip all my hair to one side and spray. Then I part a section just above that and spray,  and repeat, working my way up and around to the other side and all my hair is flipped the other direction. I hope that makes sense. I also spread apart the cowlick at the back of my head and spray there. Then I brush, brush, brush to blend it in really well. 

That method really gets all the roots and prevents that dull appearance a p.p. mentioned.

Aside from dry shampoo, I use the Suave Daily Clarifying shampoo 90% of the time. (I use a tea tree shampoo the other 10%) I've tried others but always come back to Suave because its cheap and does just as good of a job. I don't find it to be heavy at all. The opposite in fact. Products like Tresseme, Pantene, Dove, and others... those are the heavy shampoos imho.  

Dd has oily +dandruff, too and she uses Head + Shoulders or a tea tree shampoo or the Suave clarifying. She also uses Sea Breeze astringent on the scalp recommended by her pediatrician. Conditioner only on the ends.

Okay, I'm done with my hair novel for tonight! 😂

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I think which dry shampoo works depends on hair type.  I have thick fine hair and the first (expensive) brands I tried were a total bust  -- but the cheapo brands I've tried work well (Suave and some other one I can't remember).