Menu

100% online middle school science?

I'm generally set to have my DD do Rainbow Science next year for 8th grade, covering the full two years in one year.  Having everything included is of HUGE importance to me.  This is still a good option for her but I'm just wondering if there is a general science course that is all online with virtual labs, NO home experiments, that is self-paced?  We will have at least one day a week where we will need to do school in the library for the day.  She is really not crazy about science, and I think she would like a course with virtual labs.  Christian worldview is necessary.  General science with a range of topics is preferred.  Anything?

Uzinggo is not Christian (it’s approved for public schools) but I cannot think of anything in the middle school that would be a big issue, and you can skip modules if there is one that is problematic. It has quite good digital labs. Middle school has Physical, life, and Earth Science modules. 

• Like 1

The Science 101 series is coming out with a General Science DVD this fall (that is the plan as of now).  The labs would be at home though.  You might be able to find you tube videos for each lab type?

My daughter read through the Rainbow curriculum in one year for her eighth grade.  She just skipped the labs.  But she does a lot of cooking, tinkering, etc on her own and had done many experiments throughout elementary so I wasn't too concerned for that year.

44 minutes ago, smfmommy said:

The Science 101 series is coming out with a General Science DVD this fall (that is the plan as of now).  The labs would be at home though.  You might be able to find you tube videos for each lab type?

My daughter read through the Rainbow curriculum in one year for her eighth grade.  She just skipped the labs.  But she does a lot of cooking, tinkering, etc on her own and had done many experiments throughout elementary so I wasn't too concerned for that year.

Skipping the labs is an option I didn't think of...but I do want her to do lab reports.  And I've been looking at a program for high school that is all online with virtual labs so that's why I was thinking of starting something similar next year.  

I definitely don't want DVD based.  I need it to be a textbook or online.  I also don't want to be searching for videos every week.  Thank you for your thoughts 🙂

Veritas Press offers a middle school general science class online. 

We are using Uzinggo and love it.  (thank you Dmmetler for the recommendation a couple of years ago!) Everything is online including virtual labs. DS loves it too. 

2 hours ago, AmandaVT said:

Veritas Press offers a middle school general science class online. 

We are using Uzinggo and love it.  (thank you Dmmetler for the recommendation a couple of years ago!) Everything is online including virtual labs. DS loves it too. 

I'll look again at Uzinggo.  At some point, we are going to do mainstream secular science and really discuss the differences but i didn't want to go there yet.  

VP uses Apologia which requires labs "with common household items" i.e. things we are probably out of and will require all this scrambling around to locate or just not do it.  I wish they had virtual labs!  

• 1 month later...

So I was all set to just have her do The Rainbow.  Then I went to a convention and took a good look at Monarch.  I realized...this girl really doesn't like science, and doesn't like hands-on.   So instead of paying $430 for two years of The Rainbow condensed into one, I'm having her do Monarch online for $80 and some Uzinggo virtual labs with lab reports. This will also be a good way for her to step into more online classes.  She totally needs "get 'er done" science and more online learning practice, so it's a great fit.  THANKS!

Edited by kristin0713