Menu

What's with the ads?

WendyAndMilo

Oh my goodness, I am so embarrassed...

I've known for a while that my ability to read what I type is going really downhill - IOW, my brain will still read a sentence how I meant it to come out even if what I actually typed is completely wrong, especially if I read it again while the information is still fresh in my brain.

Anyways, I went back and re-read a final report I wrote for a class (because I'm stalking the website for my final grade).  For context, this document is going to be shared with every professor in the department because it's dictating my projects from now until I graduate.

I meant to say Large Hadron Collider (the particle accelerator)....but what I wrote was Large Hardon...

• Like 4
  • Haha 32

At least it looks like an honest typo?

Oh my. I hope that the fact that you posted here means you know it's pretty funny because that cracked me up.

• Like 4

While super funny to me, I’d probably feel dread if this occurred to me.  I’d email the professor a quick note that it escaped your editing (even if it’s waaaay too late to change absolutely anything), to make sure they knew I knew that it was wrong.  And if there’s any way to correct the mistake before the  whole faculty sees it, I’d ask.  

• Like 1

I bet the prof will have a fun story to tell his/her colleagues, and a cautionary tale for future students... LOL!  🙂 

AND, if the prof doesn't notice...you'll know that your paper was skimmed rather than read thoroughly! Ha!

• Like 3

Looks like an easy typo to make, possibly even autocorrect. 

The professors I know would get a big kick out of that. "Large" and "Collider" could not be more perfect in this context 🙂 

Amy

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

🤣😄 Thanks for the laugh this morning. I hope your professor found it as enjoyable as we did. 

Yeah, that tops the time when, in a meeting talking about consumer buying habits and I stated how men are more likely to buy adult toys ... by which I meant electronics like game systems, TVs and high end audio equipment.  There were a few snickers and then I made things worse by backpedalling.  My face is red just thinking about it. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

That reminds me of an embarrassing moment I had in Thermodynamics class.  It was a lecture hall type class (about 100 students).  The professor was talking about how air cools as it passes rapidly through small diameter structures, and I thought, "Why, then, do they make blow dryers with long necks?"  So, I raised my hand and asked the question.  He proceeded answer my question, while drawing a very phallic looking "blow dryer" on the board.  There were chuckles all around the lecture hall, as it dawned on the students what he had drawn. He was either a terrible artist, or he wanted to discourage questions during lecture, or maybe he drew it that way just to check my reaction, being one of only a few women in the class.  He had a total poker face the whole time, so I have no clue. I was horrified!  I pretended not to notice, but I'm sure my beet red face said otherwise.  I went on to get an A in the class, and he gained quite a lot of respect for me as a student and future engineer, but I never got the nerve to ask him about it.  (Yes, these days, this would be seen as blatant sexual harassment, but things were different back then.) 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Don't worry, that looks like autocorrect was having a good day!

I got a recent email from the head of the department of math at a local university where I interact with them for some events - he said that we are going to have a "busty weekend" in the subject of the email. I decided to ignore it and pretend that I read "busy weekend" instead because he is a really nice guy and I did not want to embarrass him because autocorrect is the boss of all emails these days.

• Like 2

I hope they feel extra positive for a moment of levity!

I think autocorrect is going to change how we read and react to spelling. 

• Like 1

Doh!  It happens!  

I printed beautiful posters to place around my college campus advertising my senior recital.  

Unfortunately, I invited guests to the following:  Presenting: the senior rectal of Doodlebug.

Embarrassing then.  Incredibly funny forever! 🙂

• Like 2
  • Haha 7

All's well....I got a 100% and no mention of any typos.  I'm going to go on with life assuming everyone read it correctly 🙂

Thanks for all the stories! 🙂

Edited by WendyAndMilo
  • Like 11