Menu

Accountability Thread 5/12-5/18

Good evening.  Hope everyone had a good Mother's Day. Mine was so-so, but I didn't burn myself cooking, so that's always good.

Today I helped my son get some work done in the garden, did some writing, cleaned, and cooked. Bed early if possible. Busy week coming up and I'm starting out tired. Not a great thing.

• Like 2

Critterfixer, glad you didn't burn yourself; hope dinner didn't burn either; I wish your day had been more delightful.  Everyone here plumb forgot Mother's Day until DH's mother reminded him about it 😉  . 

She still feels loved, thank goodness: she lives just upstairs of us & we're traveling so I don't think she was too surprised we dropped the ball; usually I'm in charge of all things Mother's Day. 

Elder DS's tummy is acting up this morning so we're grounded and I want a day to just enjoy and recover from business, which doesn't really include digestive issues that trap people in the bathroom.  Nonetheless: his situation is gradually improving; all is well generally; and we'll aim to be productive and restorative.  Today's agenda includes hitting our scholastic bases, maybe trying some new maths, catching up on our Bible stories.  Also making dinner, scanning & submitting Latin homework for elder DS, ideally getting some exercise and reading something to stretch my brain. 

• Like 2

Morning. The boys are well into their school already. I'm struggling to wake up and wrangle this scene opening into what I want it to be. Other than that, it's the one lowkey day I have this week. Going to the river later to relax and get character work done.

• Like 2

You guys, I can't even remember the last time I posted here and what was going on. Its been nuts.

We started back to school work today after a THREE week break for moving. That was waaaay longer than I wanted. Oh, well. What's done is done.

We started a new read aloud: Gifts of an Eagle. Has anyone here read it? A (An?) homeschool mom I stalk on Instagram has been singing its praises so I thought we'd give it a whirl. 

Dd and ds did a spelling lesson, handwriting lesson, and a math lesson each. Then an impromptu lesson on colors surfaced for the preschooler and all the kids were gathering toys and trinkets to make ROY G BIV. They were cute helping ds4 learn his colors. They taught him a song and everything. 😊 💞 He really knows them all but forgets how to say "yellow" so he asks what it is. 

That's all we managed to accomplish for our first day back after a long break but its better than nothing! We'll see what Tuesday brings!

• Like 2

MrsRobinson: hurrah on picking back up with school! 

happysmileylady: glad it is only poison ivy on your little one, but sorry she has the rash.  And I relate so well to the longing for stay-home, spend-nothing days. 

We have a busier social calendar this month than I'd expected -- we're traveling for DH's work and kind people are asking to get together with us -- so I planned yesterday (Mon) and today to be fairly mellow.  Hallelujah for that, b/c DS's tummy has been acting up a bit and grounding us in the AM.  For today: general school, continue to troubleshoot AoPS with elder child, try to get some art going.  Get out to the park, e-mail the folks who do the volunteer work to manage the park & ask if there are some garden/park chores we can do during our stay, couple of other e-mails.  Also see if what can be managed to meet some goals I have for our trip: a Shakespeare play, a bus tour, and one or two other things. 

And make dinner earlier, so that older DS has a chance to let his dinner settle and make room for ice cream/gelato for dessert.  His BMI plummeted b/c of his tummy troubles and in addition to keeping him nourished, we're trying to get as many calories as possible into him.  His little brother is so big -- tall for his age, solidly built -- and my older one is so little and elfin and slim now.  I'm grateful that we know of other families who have had similar challenges so at least I've given thought to how I want to approach it. 

• Like 2

Morning. Trying to stay home today and get writing done. Tomorrow is my CT scan, and then gardening. Thursday is art, and I've got another cover I want to do because I'm just not really feeling inspired by some of my other pieces at present. Friday and Saturday are work days. 

Naturally, the boys want to go to the lake and fish and boat today. I'm debating whether I want to take them. Only if they go to my favorite spot, but it's not the one they are thinking of, and they haven't fished there before...hmmm. I want to stay home, but on the other hand, it's more relaxing for me to take my character profiles and work beside the water. And I could possibly win Mom-of-the-Day for my "surprise".

• Like 2

HSL- lol about your kids states game! They sound like my kids! 😁👍 

Critter- anything medical appointment is exhausting. You are preaching to the choir. I hope you got some rest!

Journey-I hope your son's issues continue to improve!

Well, we found ourselves in crisis mode on Tuesday so not much school work got done. Dd and ds did math and handwriting. They got a lot of free reading time in while dh and I dealt with things. And a lot of video games, too, unfortunately. We made it to our evening activity which proved to be a nice escape. 

Yesterday, we did some volunteer work in the morning and the kids got to spend some time with their friends. I had a ton of errands to do in the afternoon but the kids managed to convince me to squeeze in a library trip. 

Today, I have an appointment this morning, then the kids are going to a relative's house for lots of outdoor time. Gardening, playing in the woods, and at the creek. They will have tons of fun. I am travelling several hours to another relative's hs graduation. I probably won't be back til midnight so dh will have to help shower the filthy creek kids and get them to bed. That should be interesting! 🤣 

So this first week back to the books doesn't seem to be involving very many books! 😂 

• Like 2

Morning. Art today. Scan came back as definitely lymph node enlargement, but not massive, and nothing in the chest. So the plan is to monitor changes and rescan in six months. So I guess I get to live with my funny looks for a while longer unless something changes right away.

• Like 2

On 5/16/2019 at 10:43 AM, Critterfixer said:

Morning. Art today. Scan came back as definitely lymph node enlargement, but not massive, and nothing in the chest. So the plan is to monitor changes and rescan in six months. So I guess I get to live with my funny looks for a while longer unless something changes right away.

Whew! So glad its nothing urgent and scary! 👍 

I got home about 12:15am so I was pretty close to my goal of midnight. 😊 

I worked today at the last minute so I didn't have schoolwork put together and ready for dh. He took the kids to the library and a few other errands. They went for a nature walk this afternoon. I'll be better prepared for next week.

We are doing family movie night right now and I'm folding laundry while we sit here and watch. 

I am officially a student myself now, as of today. After the kids are in bed, I'm hitting the books! 😱 

Lots of changes around here all at once but we'll manage. ☺️ 

• Like 1

Hello, all! 

Today is: just keep swimmin'; prep for the week ahead.  We have three social moments this weekend, which is a LOT for us and especially the boys, but which are important 'cause we are only here for a short time and want to show up for the kind folks hosting DH.  Well, two are important for that and we suspect that the third is b/c the host wants to network & lay the ground to move to where DH works, but it is somebody DH has known casually for a while so perhaps it is just general neighborliness. 

Yesterday I sketched out younger DS' general academic program for summer + next year.  Today I'd like to do the same for elder DS.  Elder DS's tummy is jittering betterwards, hallelujah. 

Also today, or maybe tomorrow, draft out our next week.  We hope to do a lunchtime bus tour, visit two sites outside the city and finish off with a performance of "Henry V"  one week from this Sunday.  So I'd like to fit a reading of Henry V in this week, too. 

Hugs to everybody.  🙂  Critterfixer, so glad that the CT scan showed nothing in the chest & non-massive lymph node enlargement; also wishing that you didn't have to deal with this at all and hoping that things improve over these six months. 

MrsR & HSL: it is good to be following along with y'all.  I relate so well to crises derailing things & to feeling very "done" with school!  Hope the weekend goes nicely for everyone. 

ETA: Thursday elder DS had his last online Latin class of the year.  His final exam is due Monday.  I am so so glad we have this benchmark, and that we hung in with Latin despite a very rough start to the school year. 

Edited by serendipitous journey
  • Like 1