Menu

best high school science to compress into one semester

It looks like we will be living overseas during the second semester of oldest DS's 9th grade year.  I think the most workable plan is going to be for us to do a double-credit class of science (and no history) here in the fall, before we leave, and then do a double-credit of history (and no science) while we are there.  While we are away DS will do some sort of TBD intensive language/cultural experience -- probably just going to a local public or private school.  We will keep up with math (Algebra II) all year and do an English credit both in the fall and then the summer after we come back.

DS will likely apply to selective colleges as a science major.  If he had to pick tomorrow it would definitely be chemistry, but who knows.  Anyway, the original science plan was AP Bio in 9th, AP Chem in 10th, and AP Physics in 11th.  Now taking AP tests will be out of the question for 9th (since we will be out of the country in May) so I would like to choose one science for us to do *not* as an AP, and also as a double-credit homeschool class in one semester. 

Any suggestions?  Thanks.

A science credit that can be done without labs or the expectation of labs (such as Environmental Science or Astronomy) would be faster and easier to double up on and complete 1 credit in 1 semester.

Perhaps Conceptual Chemistry or Conceptual Physics in 9th and then an Advanced or AP Chemistry or Physics later on?

Or, if your student is ready for college level work, perhaps 1 semester of dual enrollment science in 9th grade before leaving? (1 semester of college course = 1 year/1credit of high school)

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, JennyD said:

I am now thinking of perhaps doing a chem class that would set him up for AP Chem in 10th.  

Younger kid did Chemistry Honors as a summer intensive last year which is a high school credit but done in summer. Environmental science would be a nice choice if your son likes Biology and Chemistry as you can compare two different locations. Marine science is another nice choice if your kid prefers marine to environmental. Botany, Ornithology, Agriculture studies are possibilities as well, My kids prefer astronomy as they just aren’t into biology. 

• Like 2