Menu

What's with the ads?

Sign in to follow this  
lulalu

Online/Dvd classes

Next year for 2nd grade I need at least one subject to be dvd or online. We have not done any learning in this format before. But I am in a busy season this upcoming fall, and need to have at least one area that can be done without me right there. 

What subjects have you found to be a good first dvd or online class? And any reccomendations for classes to look at? 

DS is reading great, loves math and is flying through everything. He has not learned to type, and handwriting is a struggle. 

TTU K-12 has "online" courses. They are Asynchronous.  In 2nd grade I suspect that your student would need you to be nearby,  much or all of the time. http://www.depts.ttu.edu/k12/   My DD began with two (2) 6th grade courses in October 2012 as a "supplemental" student.   Good luck with whatever you decide to use!

• Like 1

I would not outsource a 2nd grader's skill subjects.  However, one way to save yourself some time is to outsource your read-aloud books to audible.  We looooove audiobooks.  And I can get a lot done while still listening so that I can talk to the kids about it later.  

• Like 3

Seconding not outsourcing language arts or math for a 2nd grader. 

Videos plus a stack of library books could be history or part of science.

15 hours ago, ScoutTN said:

Videos plus a stack of library books could be history or part of science.

We are overseas without access to a library. 

Asking what is a good first subject to have as dvd/online learning is not saying I am outsourcing core subjects or outsourcing anything. I asked for recommendations on where others have started. I just gave an overview of my ds skills to help others know, he can read well, therefore he could read assignments and whatnot. 

8 hours ago, lulalu said:

Asking what is a good first subject to have as dvd/online learning is not saying I am outsourcing core subjects or outsourcing anything. I asked for recommendations on where others have started. I just gave an overview of my ds skills to help others know, he can read well, therefore he could read assignments and whatnot. 

Well, we started in 6th grade with our first online course. 

If I needed a 2nd grader to do some dvd/screen based learning, I'd do science/nature videos. Magic School Bus, PBS' Nature etc. Other than that I'd go with Liberty's Kids for early American History and Schoolhouse Rock because it's fun and covers many topics. Without typing anything online is difficult, so if you want him making progress on that, maybe a kid's typing program would be fun and useful? We have enjoyed Dance Mat Typing

If you have language arts and math covered, everything else is gravy. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, lulalu said:

We started with Mystery Science and Math U See, right about that age.  But it still required me to be right there with the kid and interacting, so it wasn't a time saver.  If I was looking for independent language arts or math work, I'd pick one of these:
Shiller Math or Language Arts - Montessori based, so you do present the lessons but there is a work alone period that can be for as long as needed per lesson (extending over days)
Math U See - video once a week, daily check ins, but as you get deeper in the year it's easier for a kid to work mostly independently until time to show and test.
Versatiles - Buy one set of tiles and use with any of the books (all subjects available).  They're self-checking workbooks, so when the tiles are turned over they know it is correct when the pattern matches.

All of them require you to be present but offer ways for the child to work alone as needed.  Versatiles are our go-to when we're on the road.  A workbook is less than $20 and can be reused as many times as needed.

• Like 1

I agree with VP history (or Bible if you want that).  My kids love it and it occupies them for a good 45 minutes.  Mystery Science is also good but much shorter and will require your help with the experiments/demonstrations.  

• Like 1